*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2206282-The-Corruption-of-Pautilus-Ch1
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #2206282
"The Corruption of Pautilus" Chapter 1--Change (Draft 3)
As I lay in my bed staring at the cracked ceiling in my bedroom, I began to ponder. I was not the type to think too much about things, but something has been catching my attention about what is transpiring in East Pautilius over the last few weeks. I have seen an unusual amount of policemen roaming the corners of streets and arrests were happening at a frequent rate. This seemed strange as their was just a new mayor appointed to serve East Pautilus named Bosh Mannington. Two weeks ago, he made an amazing speech on how he understood how the previous mayors were not fulfilling their promises for change, but he reassured us that positive change is what we need, something that the previous mayors before him had yet to accomplish. However, this was not the change I was expecting. Still, I kept these thoughts...

"Chad!!!" said a familiar voice

I got off my bed instantly at the sound of someone's voice and quickly looked out the window of my apartment and saw Hary standing there waving.

"Hey Hary, what's going on" I said.

"If I'm being honest with you Chad, I'm just making sure you're doing alright from last night" Hary said.

"I'm doing fine, everything's ok, hold on, I'm gonna get the door" I said.

I went downstairs and through the living room to open the door to see Hary there with red shorts and a blue tanktop on.

"I know your saying your ok, but you seemed nervous talking to me at school".

Even though I tried to conceal my thoughts about the issue, I felt that talking to Hary would give me some answers on the subject.

"Honestly yeah Hary, there's been something bugging me for a while now" I said.

Hary turned his head, then looked at me with a stern face.

"I think I know what" Hary said

I paused for a moment but then I said,

"I've been seeing a lot of strange things", however Hary interrupted

"So have I". Hary said

"And to be honest that's the reason I came here" Hary said.

"I've been seeing this a lot from my place, and it's starting to worry me....worrying me to the point where I don't feel safe"
Hary said.

"I've been thinking the same thing, and frankly there's something wrong here, it's extremely rare having this many in just two weeks, especially around a place like this" I said.

"I mean... maybe it's just the new mayor imposing his new laws on Pautilus and attempting to keep us..."

"Safe?" Hary interrupted.

"It may not be that man, I went out and spoke with people who were just released at the lock-up's 3 days ago and most said they were arrested for no reason" Hary said.

"Probably about fifteen of 'em I talked to...most of em' were people I used to talk to every day" Hary said.

"Why were you at the lock-up's anyways" I said.

"I was visiting my cousin Shanti" Hary said.

"What did they say" I said.

"I heard a couple of people who said they got arrested for defying the leadership of Mayor Mannington."

I was a bit shocked to hear this, but I listened on.

"Those people didn't vote for Mannington either, they said they protested against Mannington before he got elected"

We continued to talk about the issue for about an hour until I looked at the clock hanging above the door and realized it was getting late.

"Well, Hary it seems like that time but hey, now you know that anything can happen now, and you could very well be next, so don't get yourself into any trouble" I said.

"Yeah, I hope not" Hary said as he closed the front door.

As Hary left, I had finally felt relieved that I wasn't the only one who is witnessing this strange activity around East Pautilus, however I knew that talking...wasn't going to change anything.
© Copyright 2019 YanksTMP (yankstmp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2206282-The-Corruption-of-Pautilus-Ch1