*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2207083-Change-is-Scary
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #2207083
But necessary. In 300 words.
My decision to move to British Columbia was an unpopular one. Some older, organic farmer friends suggested I visit and “have a look around”. They surmised, I’d traveled all over America and seen the Rockies there? Why not see the mountains where they meet the ocean? “I am Canadian” as well, so why not see some of the best this country had to offer?

Farmer Ron came to BC after the Vietnam war because he said “BC can heal any kind of trauma you have”. He’d met a woman, had kids, worked from farms to finance and a little of everything in between. Eventually, he’d met his long-term partner Julie and they returned to Ontario, where I’d met them. Julie was BC born and bred, from the North.

Together they knew more than I’d know if I lived 4 lifetimes and then 2 more.

Moving out West to work on organic farms wasn't a popular choice for me. But it was a chance. The farmers said if I didn’t have too much stuff, they’d keep some things so I could travel. I went through everything. Not just physical items that I’d given away, donated or thrown out. Also, the guilt of leaving my family and the uncertainty of surviving without them. Why was I even doing this? What was I trying to prove? The unknown is scary. Change is difficult but necessary.

Six years later, I’d make the same decision. I've been all over BC; seen and met amazing places and people and been challenged to grow. I've done things I never knew I could. And even visited Ontario. Back home there’s a few more kids and pounds and a few fewer teeth, but life goes on. I’m glad people are doing well, and they feel the same about me.
© Copyright 2019 Melisscious (melisscious at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2207083-Change-is-Scary