*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2208013-The-End-of-The-World-as-They-Knew-it
Rated: E · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #2208013
A dystopian short story
Rose
The flower looked appealing with pink petals and a yellow center. But she couldn’t do it. She looked at the time on her pigeon-shaped watch. It was exactly thirteen minutes after noon. Almost time for work. She twisted the flower in her fingers thinking about the consequences. Taking it meant The Superiors would fine her for half a pant leg and two badly sharpened pencils. A fine that was, surprisingly, damaging to her reputation. Leaving it meant she couldn’t purchase the old buttons at the blue market. The blue market was only a place for the trained eye. Everything was blue to mask the forbidden items from The Superiors. She looked around her making sure she wasn’t being watched by The Henchmen. They always lurked under streetlights with lampshades covering their faces. The rest of them was covered in black spandex. She spotted one lurking across the street, its lampshade turned towards her. She sighed and stuck the flower back on the brick ledge. The flower visibly wilted as it was abandoned on the ledge.

Flowers were forbidden to be acknowledged. They were to be left on window ledges and no one could talk to them. The flowers, having no legs, were unable to rebel. This was one example of the rule of The Superiors. They were a team of old white men. They were all between the ages of 500 and 720 years old. They brought regression to stomp down progression. Or at least that’s what Rose thought. She was mainly alone in her opinion. There were a few others but Rose didn’t know them and resorted to being alone.

Rose didn’t mind being alone. She had a small, cramped apartment that only had room for her and her wolf-sized dog, Bear. Bear came and went, a free spirit. Humans weren’t supposed to have dogs. Dogs were banned and forbidden to be placed in caring homes for fear that children will grow up thinking that they are dogs. This was disregarded by Rose as she just happened to be a rule-breaker and also she had no children so Bear caused no harm to anyone. Rose found Bear already living in her apartment when she bought it. It was on the ground level and had a huge hole in one of the corners that was blocked by a moldy couch. Rose felt bad that she was moving into Bear’s house and let her stay. This was also forbidden. If you moved into a house or apartment and someone was already living there you were to kick them out regardless if you paid or not. Rose was a peaceful soul and could not bring herself to kick Bear out. Bear’s killer puppy eyes and soft, floppy ears didn’t help matters.

Rose arrived at work on time. She made books for the citizens of Marrowland and Linden. Since creativity was banned she had to write only facts about the world and even then all the facts were provided by The Superiors. Rose’s work was essentially printing facts that were not proven to be facts. She would look at the books when she finished and wonder how citizens in Marrowland and Linden were entertained. It was a mindless task and Rose always winded up asleep at the work table. Her boss would hit the table, ignoring the flinch that the table made, to wake her up. It was an endless cycle and Rose hated it. But she needed the income of Oreo cookies without the cream to pay all of the fines that kept collecting at her apartment.

On this particular day, Rose couldn’t stop thinking about the flower that she had found. She had a soft spot for flowers. They were always ignored and Rose related to them. She didn’t know who her parents were because they were separated when she was born. Rose didn’t know why she was separated. She didn’t have any friends other than Bear. She debated whether she should go back but knew that the Henchman would still be there. She sighed as she started to bind the book she just finished.

Rose was about to start on the next book, when the door swung open. It banged against the wall and bounced back and hit the person standing in the doorway silhouetted by the light coming through the door into the dark room. Rose jumped and watched the person stumble from the impact of the door. They collected their composure and stepped into the room. The door shut heavily behind them. Doors were like that, they made sure that people always had a hard time walking through them. Rose pitied the person who walked in. They had a small stature and were rubbing their shoulder, wincing.

“Are you alright?” Rose asked, her voice quiet. She briefly worried that the stranger hadn’t heard her.

“I’m fine,” the stranger responded, “I was looking for a job and thought that books are cool.

Rose was taken aback. It was forbidden to look for jobs. Usually jobs looked for you. She looked towards the back table where her boss usually sat but the chair was empty.

“I don’t think the boss is here,” She states matter-of-factly.

“Oh,” the stranger trails off and stands there awkwardly as if not sure what to do next.

“What is your name?” Rose says, “I can tell my boss when he gets back.”

“It’s Jae,” Jae says, “Thanks I guess.”

Rose just nods her head taking notes on Jae’s hair that was a light pink color and piled on top of their head. Jae’s hair frizzed making it look like a bird nest. Freckles were sprinkled across the bridge of their nose. Jae had thick lips that hid straight, white teeth. Rose gasped as she realized that Jae was from Marrowland. No one in StoneWell was able to dye their hair or have straight teeth. That’s why Jae was looking for a job. They didn’t know the rules. Rose realized that she was staring when Jae cleared their throat.

“What?” Jae asked, concern filling their voice.

“Nothing,” Rose responds, her voice shaking, “Actually, I was wondering if you were from Marrowland?”

“Maybe?” Jae asks, worry tinging the edge of their words, “Why?”

“Your hair is pink.” Rose points out. “And you came looking for a job. That’s forbidden.”

“Oh,” Jae mutters looking around. They anxiously rub their hand against their leg.

“Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone.”

“Thank you.”

Rose sighs, “You know, it might be good to learn all of the rules.”

Jae frowns and runs their hand through the thick hair on their head, “Will you help me?”

Rose pauses. She wasn’t used to other people. Thoughts rushed through her brain not helping with her indecisiveness. She lets out an overwhelmed sigh.

“Please?” Jae literally begs, “I don’t have anywhere to go.”

Rose’s head shoots up. What did Jae mean? They were living on the streets? Rose’s heart sunk under the pressure and she almost started crying. She knew what Jae was feeling. She felt that everyday. She slowly starts nodding her head, “Okay, okay.”

“Oh! Thank you, thank you!”

“But you have to welcome my dog too.”

“Of course, of course!” Jae says eagerly, “I’ll do anything.”

“And you have to leave and wait for me outside.” Rose says worriedly glancing towards the door. She knew that her boss would call the henchmen if he saw Jae. “Let the job come to you.”

Jae nods their head and runs out the door. There was a tiny battle with the door but eventually they made it outside. Rose watches them leave and sighs as she returns to the incomplete book.



Jae
Jae sits outside the book-making place waiting for the girl to finish. They never caught her name and decided to stick close to the door to make sure that they didn’t lose her into the depths of StoneWell. Jae takes this time to zone out and think about everything that has happened since she told Jamie, their best friend that they were non-binary.

The morning after Jae told Jamie, they were walking back from the book store in Marrowland with a stack of fact books when several henchmen crowded around them. Henchman were only allowed to imitate the sound of lamps. Henchmen could not imply that they were human. Everyone thought that they were lamps. The Superiors weren’t ready to correct them. The henchmen started clicking at Jae who started to panic wondering what they had done. Suddenly, it hit them. Jamie.

The henchmen stopped waiting for Jae to responding realizing that they probably didn’t speak lamp. This was a frustration for the henchmen. People had the resources to learn lamp but no one did. Inconsiderate, really. The henchmen grabbed Jae and dragged them down to the office.

The office was a box-shaped building without windows. This was the best situation for their interrogations. These went nowhere of course since no one speaks lamp. It was the idea that satisfied the henchmen. Jae sat in the interrogation room. It was dark except for one lamp (this was actually a lamp) pointed right into their eyes. They sat there waiting for the henchmen to walk in. Jae heard clicking from outside the door. The door opened after a small tussle with one of the henchmen. Of course when the two henchmen tried to close the door it spitefully pushed back. One of the henchmen sighed and kicked the door. It slammed shut. A loud click sounds from outside the room. The door snickers.

Jae waits patiently for the henchmen to start. They weren’t really sure where to start as they didn’t understand lamp. This was a common worry for people getting interrogated. Yet, they all somehow manage to explain their way out of Marrowland. The henchmen were lazy and claimed everyone was guilty. This was a sure way to get rid of someone annoying in Marrowland.

The henchmen started clicking vigorously. Jae was already lost. One of the henchmen visibly cringed in frustration. Jae shakes their head in confusion. One of the henchmen pulls a picture from an invisible pocket along their spandex. They push it towards Jae. Jae pulls it closer and sees a portrait of Jamie. The henchmen click at them. Jae just nods having no idea how to get out of this. The henchmen start clicking at each other. They get up and struggle out the door. Jae fingers at the picture sitting on the table. At the brush of their fingers the table starts vibrating in a purr. Jae mindlessly pats the table. Jae stares longer at the picture before picking it up and ripping it in pieces. They threw it at the wall in anger.

An hour later five henchmen step through the door with surprising ease. They surround Jae and grab them. Jae tenses and starts struggling. The henchmen click at them and shove them roughly through the door making sure they got hit by the door. The henchmen drag them through the box-shaped building to a van. The van was white with only a windshield. Jae sat in the back not knowing where they were going. Only knowing they would probably never come back. At least, come back the same person.

Jae wakes up and tries to figure out if the van was still moving or not. They heard the engine but couldn’t tell if the van was moving forward. Their question was answered when the doors of the van swing and two henchmen drag them out. Jae looks around and notices that they are in some sort of city. Except the city had broken-down brick buildings instead of the elegantly tall buildings in Marrowland. The city reeked as the streets were littered with trash and people both sitting and walking. There were people standing in alleyways looking around as if on guard. The people paid no mind to the truck and the Henchmen as if this was an everyday event. To them it was. To Jae it was the end of the world as they knew it.


The End For Now.
© Copyright 2019 localdreamer37 (localdreamer37 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2208013-The-End-of-The-World-as-They-Knew-it