*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2208827-In-the-Corner
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2208827
Flash Fiction
In the Corner

Janice heard the phone ring and looked over wondering who would pick it up this time. Mostly Alice answered it, because it was Alice’s job. But sometimes the others had to because Alice was away from her desk. The others were required to pay attention and answer if Alice wasn’t there. Janice got a kick out of watching what happened when Alice wasn’t there.

Ray was closest and you could tell he heard it by the way he leaned closer to the paper he was suddenly holding, as if he was concentrating so hard he couldn’t possibly have heard it. Even though Janice knew that, a minute ago, he’d been flipping a coin for the umpteenth time.

Andrea, had her hands in the copy machine, and suddenly held up a bunch of sticky, inky papers. She looked over, waving them, and yelled, “I can’t get that!” Somebody get that!”

Ted looked at them both, realizing he’d lost. He didn’t have inky papers, nor anything in his hands, he had no excuse beyond not paying enough attention when Alice left the room. Now he pretty much had to answer the phone and depending on who it was, he would be slightly late or very late for his haircut appointment. He sighed, and punched the button to answer Alice’s line.

“Baily and Finch! How may I help you?” he said in his best professional voice, while shooting daggers at Ray and Andrea with his eyes.

Janice watched it all like a TV show. It kinda was like a TV show for Janice, because not much else happened in the sales office of Baily and Finch. At least not much that was entertaining for a small golden fish, in a small round bowl, on a small round table, in the corner.
© Copyright 2019 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2208827-In-the-Corner