*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209077-A-New-Beginning
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2209077
Aasha and her grandma watch the first flower of spring bloom as they reminisce memories.
The cold winter breeze lightly slapped her face as she opened the windows to the view of snow-capped mountains and towering pine trees native to Kashmir.The snow was like a thick blanket hiding the vibrant hues that spring was yet to unwrap.Her face pale by the numbing air she closed her eyes as the frost kissed her eyelash leaving a trail of goosebumps behind.It was as if this was an empty canvas white in so many places waiting for the artist to return.Nature had hushed the streets as you could only hear the tippety-toe of the white flakes slowly falling on the roof.

"Beti, there is a package for you" called her grandma.Her bare feet touched the chilled wooden floor as she ran downstairs to . As her face widened into a smile she opened her arms to engulf her grandma in a big bear hug "Happy new year nani!".Her grandma's familiar smell of saffron and tea leaves gave her a sense of warmth as she squeezed more tightly and breathed slowly.Forever protected in these soft arms she never wanted to let go.Chuckling her grandma whispered "bozan chukaz(which meant sweetheart),happy new year!". Aasha gently let go and kissed her nani on the head and ran to open the door."Thank you Bo, good morning and have a happy new year!", she grinned towards the courier.

She couldn't wait to open the package as she hurried over to the kitchen and sat over the big countertop."Wow nani that smells incredible!", the aroma of freshly-baked apple pie tickled her nose as the cinnamon from the chai wafted up her nose.Upon opening the package she saw a book and a card.Her fingers carefully and with precision opened the card and there written "Remember me as the first crocus of the year blooms today.It depicts growth, youth and a fresh new start.Happy new year Aasha. Love always, Ma." She tried to hold it in but then a drop of water trickled down her cheek and then moment by moment the salty tears kept falling, streaking down her chin and drenching her shirt.Ma had ordered this card for the first day of every new year but this year was different.Ma was no longer there.All this while Aasha had kept it in and gotten used to it.But this card brought back her warmth, her smile, her love for nature and the simple things, her hugs, her food and so much more.This card had opened a dam which had taken months to put up. Nani's soft hands calmed and soothed her as Aasha buried her head in nani's hands.Looking up into Aasha's brown eyes her grandma said "Aasha, remember all the happy moments and smile because however short she was in your life and will forever be in your heart".

Looking towards the window there it was.A splash of purple in the middle of the white snow.As the bud bloomed into fresh, lilac petals and it erupted into a wonderful flower.The dark and light purple hues contrasting with the bright orange in the enter.A spot of color in a black and white world,It brought with it a sense of euphoria and glee.As Aasha smiled through her tears and remember her mum for always reminding her of the positive things of life.In complete awe of nature's beauty and power, taking her grandmas hand she ran towards the garden.As she went closer to the beautiful purple crocus, she looked up at the white blanket around her and that fresh purple spot of color gave her hope, it gave her imagination and it gave her happiness.Slowly she started to laugh and before you knew it Aasha was dancing around the snow as the white flakes settled around her.Lost in her own world for a while.

Back home, her grandma and her were beaming and chuckling about how Ma was such a kind spirit.Apple pie in one hand her teeth sunk into the crunchy crust and dissolved in the smooth whipped cream.Sipping on her hot tea she opened to the first page of the book "Chapter 1:A New Beginning".




© Copyright 2020 khwaishs (khwaishs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209077-A-New-Beginning