*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209439-Everything-Comes-at-a-Cost
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2209439
New Years Night full of chaos turns into a wonderfully romantic chance encounter.

Everything Comes at a Cost

"You look beautiful," he says as he presses his manicured salt and pepper beard upon the mahogany skin of the younger man looking in the mirror. The younger man pulls away as, the older male looks at him in the mirror.

Hi, my name is Da'vid Silva. This beautiful older man is my lover Winston. Yes, that is sadness that you see in my eyes. I remember a time when we were happy. That all ended when I got my first book deal and started making my own way. It was like he started to resent me. That's how we got here, me pulling away from his kisses, him lying about where he is going.

"Are you ready?" he asks.

"Yes," Da'vid responds as he pulls his ponytail, causing it the swing, he grabs his jacket, walking out the door, as Winston holds it open for him.

As they step into the Uber, the driver and Da'vid make eye contact. Da'vid's eyes then head to his rearview mirror. There resting on a string is a small sign that reads, my name is Ryan.

"How are you both doing tonight?" asks Ryan as he looks into Da'vid's eyes through the rearview mirror.

"I'd be doing better if you wouldn't talk," replies Winston in a condescending tone staring at his phone.

"I'm great Ryan, how is your night going," Da'vid replies looking down bashfully, trying to avoid his piercing glare.

"Well, the streets are white with Snow, for the first time in over almost two decades in Louisiana, so driving people into the city tonight is like a trip to Disneyland," he replies sarcastically, smiling at Da'vid.

"At least we are among the living," replies Da'vid as he pushes a stray strand of hair from his face.

Winston grabs Da'vid's knee and squeezes, causing him to jump. "Don't do that again," Da'vid says under his breath, looking Winston in his eyes.

"Stop flirting with him in front of me," replies Winston under his breath.

"FLIRTING WITH HIM! It's better than having sex with random dudes behind your back!" says Da'vid in a forceful tone, pushing his hand away.

"It's about to be a New Year, leave that crap in the past," replies Winston, eerily calm, placing the back of his hand upon Da'vid's smooth face.

Da'vid moves his hand as Ryan turns the radio up; the countdown to the new year has begun, and Winston slaps Da'vid. "You are an ungrateful little piece of work!" he screams, holding Da'vid's face tightly in his hand.

"Sir, this is as close to the city as you are going," says Ryan as he presses on the brake causing the car to slide to a stop.

"That's fine; we can walk from here," says Winston as he lets go of Da'vid face.

"We aren't going anywhere," Da'vid says with tears in his eyes.

Winston attempts to pull him out of the car; in an angry rage, Ryan places the vehicle in park, runs around to Winston, and turns him away from Da'vid, punching him in the face, causing Winston to slip on his back upon the icy street.

"You're done! You won't have a job in the morning," replies Winston attempting to get up from the street.

"Fuck this job, its Uber, and life is too short!" Ryan says as the fireworks display begins.

As he gets into the car, he looks back at Da'vid, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Can you take me back home?" asks Da'vid as he rubs on his cheek.

"Sure," Ryan says, pulling off, turning the bright Uber sign off, as Winston kicks at the snow.

For about five minutes, they drive in silence. Da'vid looks out of the window staring at the amateur fireworks as they cross the Westbank Expressway. Ryan pulls the car over to the emergency exit and looks back at Da'vid, "I'm not driving another mile until I know that you are fine."

Da'vid smirked, "Why do you care."

"I need to know you are fine!" says Ryan, flushed.

Da'vid looks into his beautiful emerald eyes, "Why... do ... you... care?"

"Because you are beautiful, and you deserve to be treated as such!" Ryan blurts out, turning back, attempting to start the car, as Da'vid climbs into the front seat.

"You think I'm beautiful?" he asks, placing his hand upon Ryan's as he attempts to put the car in drive.

"You know you are beautiful. Those deep, sad, doe-eyes, beautiful lashes, smooth skin, and cute curly hair," he says as he pushes the stray hair from Da'vid's face.

"You ain't so bad looking yourself," Da'vid says, as he lends in placing the car back in park, kissing Ryan passionately upon the lips.

"Wow, I wasn't expecting that," he says, blushing. "However, you still haven't answered my question."

"Everything comes at a cost. I wasn't fine for a very long time. Winston treated me like that because he thought he had a right too. He paid for my school, I paid him back with my first book deal. He bought our house, I tried to pay half, but he made me buy my own condo. He wanted power over me, and me allowing him to feel that way cost me everything. Years of happiness that I can't get back," replies Da'vid looking away with a single tear rolling down his cheek.

Ryan leans in and kisses him on the neck, as he pulls away, he holds out his hand, "My name is Ryan Sunday."

"Ryan, it's nice to meet you. My name is Da'vid Silva," Da'vid replies shaking his hand.

"Let get you home so you can start this new life, Da'vid. I would like to take you on a date," says Ryan, as he places the car in drive.

"I think I would like that too." Da'vid replies.

As they drive into the distance, the fireworks continue to dance amongst the night sky.









© Copyright 2020 Vick Rolling 🏳️‍🌈 (vick04041986 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209439-Everything-Comes-at-a-Cost