*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209567-Your-loss-my-gain
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2209567
Where will fate take Emma to after Marcus broke up with her??
Prologue
I find myself banging on my best friend's door, with tears filling my eyes and rain pouring on my cold and shivering body. I never thought I would be this desperate. I've never felt so hurt. I thought my life was perfect... well, manageable to say the least. I was not ready for the bombshell that landed on me. I was overwhelmed with depression and unbearable sadness. I wanted to kill myself but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean, what did I do to deserve this? Why did this happen to me and not someone else? Who did I offend? My world came crumbling down like a pile of bricks. I let him into my world but he set fire to it and watched it burn. I put him first and he stabbed me in my chest. The betrayal was unbearable. He didn't care about me... he never did.

Chapter 1
I met Marcus when she was a freshman in college. He was tall with light brown hair and beautiful hazel eyes. He was so handsome and I felt so special when he came up to her and they started talking. He was so sweet and it seemed like I hit the jackpot. We dated for two years and I moved in with Marcus when I turned twenty years old. I was pretty much happy with my life: I had a loving boyfriend, a good job, and amazing friends who loved me. I couldn't ask for more... well, that's what I thought. When I turned twenty-two, Marcus became distant and very cold toward me. He was so distant to the point that he would come home late at night. I began suspecting that he was cheating on me, but whenever I asked him, he would become aggressive and act offended.
Marcus: How dare you believe such? You don't trust me anymore. You're a horrible girlfriend!
And with that said, he would storm out of the house, slamming the door behind him and leaving me completely dumbfounded and guilty for questioning his loyalty. The next day, my suspicions turned out to be true. I went out to the grocery store and while I was shopping, I receive a phone call from my next-door neighbor. She was a sweet old lady whom I would take care of every day.
"Hello?" I answered as I pressed the call button
"Hello dear," Mrs. Jones answered "are you home with your boyfriend?"
I was confused
"No, Mrs. Jones," I answered "I'm at the grocery store. Is there anything wrong?"
"Oh, I must be mistaken," she said, "I saw him enter the house with a young woman and I figured it was you."
I froze. Was he cheating on me?! I couldn't believe it. As soon as I was done, I left for home. I came back and was welcomed by my boyfriend who was making out with a girl on the couch. I was shocked that I dropped the groceries on the floor.
"What the heck?!" was all I could say then. My words made Marcus spring up. He looked surprised to see me.
"Hey..." Marcus said nervously, "I thought you were coming home late?"
I looked at him with disbelief and disgust and turned to take a glance at the girl he was making out with. She was a white caucasian about my height with beautiful locks of auburn hair, bright blue eyes, and a gorgeous physique. I turned pale as I recognized the woman almost immediately.
"AMBER SWENSON?!" I said in utter shock
She looks at me in confusion, and then in surprise
"EMMA COLLINS?!" She says as she examines me
Marcus looks at both of us
"You two know each other?" asked Marcus
"She's your girlfriend?" she asked laughing
Marcus was silent
"Who wouldn't remember the school's biggest loser?" she said laughing "She was the nerd in our school and she even tried to ask my ex to prom. How lame is that?"
I could feel her face turn red with anger and embarrassment. I wanted to choke her there and then but I knew better and I held myself back. What shocked me the most was that Marcus began laughing at me
"What is she doing here?" I asked in anger
"Well she lives here now," Marcus said, "And you're moving out."
I froze. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He was kicking me out and he even packed my bags and belongings and they were all standing outside and staring at me. I could barely bring myself to say something.
"Admit it," Marcus said, "No guy will ever fall for someone like you. I mean, you still wear braces. How pathetic."
I could feel myself about to tear up.
"Is this your way of thanking me?" I uttered with my fists shaking and tears filling my eyes.
Marcus did nothing but shrug and Amber wrapped her arm around his as she gave me a malicious grin and that was the turning point for me. I went up to Marcus and I gave him a hard slap across his face and I did the same for Amber. She tried to slap me back but I had a grasp of her arm and I twisted it. She screamed as I picked up my belongings and left. I reached outside and sat on a bench, waiting for the next bus and exhausted from running. I then received a phone call. It was my boss from work. This was not a good sign because my boss always called when she was mad or I did something wrong. I hesitated at first but then I gave up and answered
"Hello...?" I answered in a trembling voice
"Emma Swenson!" said my boss angrily, "I can't deal with your shenanigans anymore!"
"What happened?" I asked nervously
"You happened!" she answered angrily, "You are such a disgrace to this company! The report I asked you to write was complete rubbish and the humiliation you brought upon me was absolute horror! Don't ever show your face here again. YOU'RE FIRED!!"
With that, she hung up on me. I was officially homeless and unemployed, and I was so close to getting a promotion. I couldn't bear it anymore and I just started crying. The bus arrived and as I climbed in, I went to the very back seat and cried. Luckily, there was no one on the bus except the driver himself. I reached my best friend's house and I began to knock on the door. The rain was pouring down on me, which was good because she would never know I've been crying.
© Copyright 2020 Wereh M (ruthmasumb3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209567-Your-loss-my-gain