*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209584-Brinkley
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2209584
Flash Fiction
Brinkley

“Stand back! You have been warned!” the voice on the megaphone on top of the pole shouted.

“Stand back from what?” Keith asked.

“I don’t know,” Terry said, looking around, “There’s nothing here...”

“Right. No wall, no animals, not even a fence. Maybe we’re supposed to stand back from the edge of the road?”

“For what? All that’s there is yellow weeds and those two blue flowers.”

“I don’t see blue flowers, where?”

“Over there,” Terry pointed, “you’re too short to see em.”

“Rub it in... I can’t see them. There are only two? In the whole field?”

“That’s all I see. Do you want me to pick you up...”?

“Ha, ha. I’ll stand on that rock.”

“But that’s off the road, that’s what the megaphone told us not to do...”

“Do you see any ‘road police’ around?” Off he ran and jumped on top of the rock. “Oh, now I see them, weird, huh!”

“... and moving...”

“And the weeds are moving too...”

Suddenly there was a strong wind, Terry covered his eyes. When he opened them, the weeds had stopped moving, the blue flowers were back in place, the wind was gone, and so was Keith.”

“Keith?” Terry called, in a tiny voice that he couldn’t seem to make bigger, “Keith?”

The megaphone sounded again, “Stand Back! You have been warned!”

“Keith?” Terry called again, before he scurried home.

Randy and Burt dragged the body off. “That was too close!” Randy said. “He’ll probably bring people back.”

“We’ll move the trap. And from now on let’s not spring it unless the whole party comes over, deal?”

“Deal. Why do you suppose Dad decided to raise a dragon anyway, Brinkley’s just a load of work, if you ask me!” The brothers turned, and dragged Brinley’s supper home.
© Copyright 2020 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2209584-Brinkley