*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210048-Dream-Logic
Rated: E · Prose · Experience · #2210048
A recurring nightmare I used to have which was often spurred on by the silliest of things.
Iā€™m in a room.

My living room; although, at first, it doesnā€™t seem like that. Somehow, itā€™s different. The walls are not quite cream enough and the carpet not quite soft enough and the air doesnā€™t smell right. The windows are on the wrong side of the wall, the longest side, facing the street, rather than the shortest side, facing my garden - my garden that somehow I can still see. Somehow itā€™s still my living room. Dream logic, I guess.

There are other people in the room, as well. Again, I donā€™t notice that at first. I donā€™t notice that they are, in fact, my friends. Except they donā€™t really have faces and theyā€™re all wearing the same nondescript blue uniform and theyā€™re all the same height (which really isnā€™t right, because Maira is absolutely tiny and Pheobe is a giant, but thatā€™s dream logic, I suppose).

Weā€™re looking out of the windows - the windows which are wrong but donā€™t feel wrong - onto the street - the street I shouldnā€™t be able to see.

There is a man on that street.

He is walking past the window.

He kind of looks like the Terminator except heā€™s bald. Heā€™s looking dead ahead, doesnā€™t see all those peering eyes through the window less than a meter away from him (dream logic) and he doesnā€™t react to the cars whizzing past him. He is expressionless. Thereā€™s nothing especially sinister about him yet somehow I am quaking. I am terrified.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I know itā€™s a dream. Iā€™ve figured out how itā€™s going to end because Iā€™ve had it before. I remember... and now everything is speeding up becauseā€¦

Heā€™s reached the edge of the window and he keeps walking past so that we can no longer see him from our window. I know - because itā€™s my house although this isnā€™t actually my real house and in my real house this is not the case - that there is a room next door with another window. I can spy on him there.

I say so. No one hears despite me being in amongst the crowd and despite no one else speaking. I know what that means. Iā€™ve been here before. Somehow - dream logic - I still react the same.

I go to the door.

Heā€™s there.

I was expecting it, Iā€™m not surprised, and yet the feel of his slipping a blade underneath my collarbone and straight into my lungs (and the dream continues) is still cold and still frightening and still- there are no words anymore. There is just the cold of a knife and the sound of my friends-who-arenā€™t-really-my-friends (because this is just a dream!) screaming and there is this silence. In the back of my head there is nothing. No thoughts.

I wake up.

Iā€™ve got heart burn. Again.
© Copyright 2020 Michael RosešŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ (munky6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210048-Dream-Logic