*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210060-Fall-into-Abyss
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Dark · #2210060
A short story centered around a metaphorical fall into an endless dark cavern
A blue sky fading away rapidly, the little white clouds that ever so vaguely resembles a litter of kittens growing smaller and less defined by the second. The soft glow of the sun illuminating the silver outline of said floating marshmallows. Soon the upside down ocean of sky blue has all but faded, and the silver lining of the clouds are all that is left visible, though even this is fleeting. A couple moments pass, or maybe minutes, however long does not matter, and they too have disappeared. Now there is only the sunlight, penetrating through the darkness from the outside, reaching down and engulfing. It's warmth is immense and comforting. It even reveals what was once hidden behind the blanket of darkness that is oh so all consuming. A gray, rocky, rough surface. At first it may seem ugly, yet if stared at long enough, beauty would be discovered. Though as the world around seems to zoom by, even the sunlight is diminishing. It tries it's hardest to keep reaching, but each time the payout is less and less. By now, darkness has consumed the stone surface, all before the beautiful details of said surface could be discovered despite it's rough, uneven nature.

The blackness that seeps into every corner and every inch, grows thicker. The cold layering itself like a suffocating, weighted blanket with each passing moment. Though time has lost all meaning, in this abyssal realm of blackness and ice. All hope is lost, and yet, a new darkness makes its presence known. Fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of falling further. Even fear of getting out of the hole anymore. It's more thorough than the cold, or the darkness, or even the lingering hunger. It does not just tint, it corrupts. At the very deepest levels, it leaves it's calling card that can never be truly removed. Fear is horrifying, controlling, and yet it is the only thing keeping this abyss together. It binds, it strengthens, it maintains. It is the truest essence of what this abyss stands for, and why it still remains.

So all remains stagnant, frozen by fear, the coldest of ices. Yet it does not halt the descent. Even it does not wield such might. Instead, now each inch moved feels like an eternity. Every action is exhausting, every thought an utter chore, even desires are too distant to drive one to them, and a drowsiness unlike any other takes its place. To bother with existence is no longer pleasurable. To continue existing is to continue suffering in deafening silence. And yet, the icy fear was a glacial force that ceased any attempts to escape the void. A perpetual cycle of slumber and fear swamped over all else. That was until something changed…

A light… A burning, glimmering, blinding light bursts forth from the bottom of the abyss. It was oh so close all this time, only a few inches away, hidden by crippling fear and darkness. The warmth from even being so close is overwhelming. It's exhilarating. What once may of seemed so normal, was now something… sacred. Holy even. It was… beautiful. The distant memory of the light reaching and stretching to save what it had dropped burned infinitely within the recesses of mind. In that moment, desires were finally thawed free from the glaciar of free that had captured them. In that moment, hope had come to banish it, as the light banished the darkness, and the warmth banished the drowsiness.

And so, I reach out for the light, pushing with all my might against the lingering fear as my fingers grow near… Everything fades to black.
© Copyright 2020 S.J - Not Around Much (slime-j at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210060-Fall-into-Abyss