*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210494-An-Eerie-Experience----on-Halloween
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Review · Adult · #2210494
A fun filled story, if not a wacky one, about a writer's day.
An Eerie Experience at My Office on Halloween Day

Part 1

There is confidence, here, that you readers will agree with my caption as fitting for the indicated day, after reading its contents. Just as, I expect, too, that smiles, laughs, and other emotions, from all, are bound to surface from what lies within. For all I know, though, anyone might encounter a mortifying moment or (worse yet) a scalded snout (nose) from the reading. And the latter might just occur, if reading and simultaneously drinking hot coffee, or tea, or cocoa, or milk, or broth: Your snout snorts snots from reading any of the many funnies, here. Gross out!

Well, then, you have been duly warned. Do not risk the loss of any hairs or all, let alone a singed schnoz (nose), which is unbearable. Believe that. I have run the route, and that is a true travesty of the third type.

However, think not of me as a heartless human to those who might suffer a nasal nightmare. I am not a shark, but a scribe, and I prove that with the bright side for such a calamity. That is that anyone, so unfortunate, is sure to be the beneficiary of a disinfected nose and dislodged boogers. I would like that, a lot, if so, but more for this reason: I would save a booger bloke or a booger babe the chore of picking their nasty-ass nostrils. Gross out!

Returning to the introduction of my story, there is one thing that I leave you to decide. That is, Believe It or Not! (Ripley‘s TV Series). Simple enough, and favor me by not asking for my choice. That is the last thing I want, considering the embarrassing stuff, here. And I somewhat prefer you not to believe anything, even if all is true.

As It Happened, then, the start of Halloween Day brought sunshine with the climate in the low-70s. The forecast also stated that weather conditions would be ideal for the evening’s event: The tradition of treat-or-treating. I liked that, having been a kid who enjoyed that adventure.

When it came to my personal morning on Halloween Day, though, the baby blues (the big boy blues, actually) were upon me, quickly. The mood kicked in, when I wrapped up a short story and found myself without another writing assignment to keep me going. And, in time, I chose to reflect, so fittingly, on my youth and the day of yesteryear. It was either that mood swing or the sauce swing, and I will take care to elaborate on the latter swing, later.

In selecting that memory to resurface, then, I can assure you that Halloween Day stood out as my favorite day of the year. Christmas Day, Easter Day, and even my birthday never came close. How could they, when the adventure of getting decked out in a costume and going to home after home to receive candy and money was far better.

In all, the wonderful part, of that joyous night, was returning home with a half bag full of candy and coins. My siblings were just as lucky with their take. For all of us, individually, 99% in candy and 1% in coins was usually our take on those days. But the 1% in coins was always near five bucks, making us rich in those days of the 60s. And the bag I am referring to was the ancient, brown paper bag of the 60s, which measured 16 x 6 x 12 1/2".

Not to be left out was my attire and those of my siblings. My brother and I were always dressed up as pirates, courtesy of the pirate movies we enjoyed, then, with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., or his dad. My sister, with her very long hair, was either Pocahontas or one of the many other princesses from fairy tales. And all of our costumes were made possible by the creativity of our dearly, depart Mom.

When it came to the pirate costumes, our Mom provided the scarves for our heads, neck, and waist. We were adorned with clip-on earrings (the circular ones), and her expertise with makeup was superb. She designed sideburns and rounded mustaches on our faces, which were similar to those of pirates. Our attire, though, was left to us, as we donned white shirts, rolled up to our elbows, and pants rolled up to just below our knees. And, with our plastic, toy swords, we felt like genuine, swashbuckling pirates, dueling and waving them wildly, like natural kids. Oh, yeah!

As for my lovely sister, she was the beneficiary of my Mom’s expertise with makeup and what it takes to look beautiful. And, even in my kid’s eye back then, my sister was truly a sight to behold, with the perfect makeup, costume jewelry, and attire befitting any of the princesses mentioned, earlier.

One thing, though, my brother and I often tinkered with the idea of taking our sister hostage, robbing her of her jewelry, and scalping her. We had a mean streak in us, from the notion of what a pirate was supposed to be and do. Only that we never played out our fantasy. The lucky lass!

Now then, can any of you picture the threesome of us, as I described? Of course, you can. That is but one other thing I expect from many of you, as well, especially from those who truly enjoyed Halloween Day, as I did. And, hereupon, I will venture into The Main Event, without further ado.

~~~

Alcides, The Fly-On-The-Wall Writer

Part 1

Word count: 929
© Copyright 2020 Alcides (alcides at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210494-An-Eerie-Experience----on-Halloween