*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210686-Welcome-to-the-Jungle
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #2210686
Screams entry
The light became so intense I thought the sky was melting. From the far off shadows came a plaintive cry. My head was full of possibilities, but not what actually happened.

I have never seen grass of that bright emerald color. It must be a trick of the light. The plateau was bordered on three sides by jungle; the forth side was rocky. This part was shaded by a low, black cloud. It was from here the keening came once more. I looked at the surrounding plant life; it was nothing I had seen before and I had fought my way through jungles the world over.

I honed in on the wailing. Each step felt like treacle, heavy, cloying. With every inch the sound became more distant. It was like I was retreating rather than advancing on my target. Until the shroud came down, engulfing me in its murkiness. It was not vapour but dust; thick, airless. I gasped. The lamentation filled my ears, encompassed my being.

I sunk to my knees. "Dear God, someone help me." Was that me? "Allah, Budha, the great god Ra, whoever, aidez moi." No; that wasn't me. I looked up into the eyes of a stranger. The eyes were all I saw. The body was tethered to a rock, not by metal chains, by vegetation, thick with thorns. The man was struggling to free himself from a creeping plant which had encased him, every slight movement carving another notch in his skin.

As I used my knife to cut one vine, another slithered into its place. I bent to root level and found a flower. I say flower; it was floral in shape but the petals were thick and meaty and as they spread a gaping mouth opened and a long tongue tasted the cold steel of my knife. I withdrew my hand and reached for my handgun. Aiming into the portal I fired. With a ghastly howl the plant shook and twisted, then withered and died. The vines lost their grip and I was able to quickly cut the stranger free.

"Destroy." One word, a quivering light, a sudden flash and this strange planet disintegrated beneath my feet. I just had the seconds necessary to push my transporter button. Once back on the ship I watched the explosion. My ears were suddenly filled with the sounds of nature screaming its last.


401 words


MELT
PLAINTIVE
CHAINS
© Copyright 2020 Odessa Molinari (omstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210686-Welcome-to-the-Jungle