*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210946-The-incident
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2210946
blown tire equals blown plans
"It wasn't about the rain," I reassured him. My tears had mixed with the downpour.

"What was it about?" He asked, every bit the clueless man.

"It was the way you forgot, our first date. Remember, it was raining then too. You offered me your jacket to keep the rain off. You really seemed to love me, then. Now, you barely look at me. It is like you don't even see me anymore!"

"See you! How can I help but see you? Wearing that!" He gestured at her dress as though it were a burlap potato sack.

I moved causing the sequins to reflect the street lamp randomly, "I wore this for you! So you would see me!"

"You should have dressed more practically," He snarled.

I glared at him and at the car with its blown tire, "Practically? For our anniversary! You prick!"

He threw up both hands and walked around the car kicking the tires, "Maybe you should just get back in the car?"

"Get out of the car! Get in the car! Call roadside assistance already Steve!" I stomped through the puddles to the passenger side. My toes sloshed in my high heels.

"They are on their way," He slammed the jack back down in the trunk.

I crossed my arms and hopped into the passenger's seat, followed up with the dramatic slamming of my door. I waited, all of the little things that had been adding up for years stormed through my head, not the least of which being that he didn't even talk about the future with me.

He pulled open the driver's side and grumbled his way into the seat. He sat fidgeting. Then he turned angrily towards me, "I didn't forget anything! I had planned a whimsical night. I was going to surprise you. I can't help that the tire surprised us both."

"Whimsical! I can only imagine..."

"I was going to take you to the restaurant where we met. I was going to order you a chocolate mousse like the one I knocked in your lap. I was going to have them put this in the bottom," Steve pulled out a velvet box and opened it. It held a large diamond engagement ring, "I had a question to ask..."

My tears started up again, "What is your question?"

"I was going to ask if you would do my laundry," he chuckled, "for the rest of our lives."

I held out my left hand with tears pouring down my cheeks and just nodded.
© Copyright 2020 Spring in my Sox (rinsoxy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2210946-The-incident