*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2211976-souls
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #2211976
Finally the question of the ages is going to be answered...
"Finally we will know the truth." I heard a scientist yell from his lab. "After 23 years of research, I will finally know if souls exist!"
a couple minutes of silence follow.

"Yes, it works! it bloody works!" the scientist bellows. "Now to see if there is a difference between human and animal souls...."
another couple of minutes follow with no sound or disturbance besides the sound of typing in the office two doors down.
"what the fuck?!" a yell could be heard from the lab. "This cannot be true, the machine must be faulty!"
Another minute of silent muttering later before I heard the silent cursing.

"How can't humans have a bloody soul, and mice do? This does not make any sense."
"better not tell anyone about this, I think I should destroy all of this... humanity will crumble when they find out about this... yes... yes, that's it, destroy every bit of evidence that I did anything like this." I heard a crushing explosion coming from the lab before the fire alarm went off.
I later learned that head scientist Jerimiah Woodskin and two of his underlings had died in a freak incident involving two explosive toxins, making the entire lab uninhabitable for the upcoming 50 years and the entire facility to be closed down and buried to prevent anyone access to the facility.

I never told anyone what I heard that day, I just dreamed of the words every night in agonizing silence.
"how can't humans have a bloody soul..."
© Copyright 2020 warrior_fb (warrior_fb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2211976-souls