*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2213334-So-Long-Tony
by Epiehl
Rated: E · Column · Sports · #2213334
A column about the late Tony Fernandez. 1962-2020.
I was quite sadden to hear about former Toronto Blue Jay, Tony Fernandez, passing away on the weekend.

I found out on Sunday morning.

Tony was a childhood hero of mine and was amongst the best shortstops ever in Major League Baseball.

Tony was a fantastic fielder, whipping the ball to first base with his famous side arm throw, barely making an error.

It is no surprise that he won four Gold Glove awards during his 17 year career.

Octavio Antonio Fernandez Castro was born on June 30, 1962 in San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic.

Tony played for several other teams besides the Blue Jays, including the San Diego Padres and the New York Mets.

Tony retired in 2001 after playing a season with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Tony was also a good offensive player.

He still holds the Blue Jay's franchise record for triples.

The five-time All-Star finished his career with a .288 batting average, 2276 hits, 94 home runs, 844 RBIs, 414 doubles, 92 triples and 246 stolen bases.

He won a World Series ring with the Jays in 1993.

Tony passed away on Sunday, February 16 of kidney disease. He was 57.

R.I.P. Tony.
© Copyright 2020 Epiehl (epwriter2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2213334-So-Long-Tony