*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2216315-Revolution
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Novel · Sci-fi · #2216315
There are people living in a dome;they don't know it. Some go through tests.
实力 (Strength)


A child sat on a small stool, their knobby knees knocking into the desk in front of them. The room smelled of sweet roses and the ocean sea; incense creating a cloud around golden candles and the figure. A mirror was propped onto the desk, showing the child's freckled face and deep hazelnut eyes. The figures eyes look peaceful, content, but the firm line of their lips suggested otherwise.

A door creaked, and the child turned their head, their black hair falling into one of their eyes; the other reflecting the light coming in from the doorway. A women peeked her head in, brown eyes identical to the figures, dress like a cherry tree's buds peeking out. She give the child a small smile. It didn't reach her eyes.

The child gave a faint smile in return, exposing bright white teeth, bright from the liquid that they had poured in their mouth. It had smelled like death; tasted of rotting flesh. Yet, it was meant to purify them.

"Do you have the 细绳?" The child asked, turning their head to the cloud of incense that had started snaking towards the smooth wooden door, where the woman stood.

The women nodded, opening the door all the way and coming to her knees by the child. Worn cracked feet peeked out from the dress piled around her legs.She dug into a sewn pocket in her dress, the sewing lines corked. She drew out a long pale string, intricate designs woven into the fabric. She began to gather the child's hair up, silk sliding off skin.

"Wait." whispered the child, their hand reaching around their bare back, reaching for an unknown treasure.

The women frowned, letting go of the child's hair. Grunting, she spun the small pink stool to face her. Brown eyes stared into her own, fingertips connected to fingertips. She squeezed the child's hand, the child glancing down, thin eyebrows knit. She had never squeezed their hand before like this.

"I was scared too, you know, at your age." Her eyes began to drift, her mind wandering. Her hold on their hand slackened.

The figure leaned forward, sensing a story of far away days.

A second passed; the women sighed, subconsciously pulling the child into her lap.

The child tensed at the unexpected touch, eventually melting into the silken fabric of the dress.

"I remember sitting at that same chair, my heart racing." She began to stroke the figure's hair, a ghost's touch. "When my mother, your grandmother came in with the 小发卡 (barrette) I wanted to run."

"Why didn't you?" whispered the child on the women lap, eye's staring into the women distant ones. They wished they could go to whatever place the women was at, walk the same path as her for a little while.

The women's finger temporarily stalled, icy claws beginning to find the child's scalp. Seconds passed, a deep breath was taken, and she resumed her gentle stroking, the ice claws going back to their cave. "Why didn't? I thought they'd take me back, force me into the tests." The child shivered; she pulled him into a deeper embrace. "Besides, if I ran: where would I go? And who knows where this city stops; the buildings seem to keep going. I stayed, I got through it, and here I am. You'll be fine. You'll do great 水道 (River.)

The child sunk further into the women arms, hungry for comfort."What if I don't, 妈妈 (mama)" Their voice trembled at the end, a glass waiting to fall.

The women clicked her tongue, fear's mutilated face replacing her eyes for a split second. She made sure the child did not witness her temporary weakness. She hoped her split silence didn't scare them.

The child looked up, brown eyes replaced with the darkness and uncertainty fear brought, waiting to bleed into hers. Waiting to destroy the child. She smiled, squeezing the figure for their comfort, stealing some of their strength. "I named you River for a reason." she whispered, putting her head on the child's. You are as strong as the currents, as strong as the sea, for the river flows into the sea. You'll be wonderful."

The women paused, taking a deep breath, squeezing the child one last time, inhaling their scent, The child smiled, one that reached their eyes and flooded them. The women felt herself let out a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding.

"Now, get up."
She murmured, slapping the child's butt.

They laughed.

Peace was temporarily restored.
© Copyright 2020 DreamingofSpace (luckyfox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2216315-Revolution