*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217139-Linda-and-Janelle
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2217139
Some people know nothing other than how to take without giving.
Linda and Janelle, the two most-alike people on the planet who didn’t know each other, whatsoever. Linda, Janelle’s estranged mother, had never been a part of her life. If anything, she ruined it.

When Janelle could finally muster the tolerance, she allowed Linda a chance to bond with her, but it would be the worst mistake.

That miserable day, Janelle had approved Linda to visit after 23 years of no contact with her in any way. They began their outing at the nail salon. Though, it wasn’t the relaxing mother/daughter spa day you’re probably imagining, it was Janelle at work, giving her mother a free manicure. (No tip was given).

After Janelle had finished, she clocked out and the two of them went down to the grocery store to buy some cheap wine. While they were there, Linda asked Janelle to purchase some gift items for a friend of hers. Janelle was becoming increasingly annoyed as the day progressed, as she couldn’t help but wonder why her mother wanted her to purchase a gift for someone else.

Back at Janelle’s house, she decided to make dinner. She questioned why she was making dinner when Linda was supposedly a “qualified Chef,” but decided not to funnel any energy into that thought.

After they ate, Linda had asked Janelle for a haircut, and that was the last straw. She hadn’t seen her mother in 23 years and all this woman could do was take and take, contributing nothing.

A thunderhead of judgment festered over Janelle’s head; lightning flashed in her eyes. Violence was her mother’s M.O., not hers.

Janelle extended her arm, pointing to the door and screamed. “This has gone far enough! Leave and never come back.”

286 Word Count
© Copyright 2020 Luckie 🍀 (luckieschamroc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217139-Linda-and-Janelle