*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2218503-Birch-Street-Murders
Rated: 13+ · Sample · Contest Entry · #2218503
A story for a writing competition
INTERROGATION OF SUSPECT ON THE BIRCH STREET MURDERS
SUSPECT- REBECCA MARY LANE ( LEAD SUSPECT AND ONLY SURVIVOR OF BIRCH STREET MURDERS)
AGE-16
HEIGHT-5’6”
WEIGHT-153
HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT AT WESTROCK HIGH SCHOOL
SEE SUSPECT FILE 433 FOR MORE DETAILS ON SUSPECT
NOTES-SUSPECT WAS BROUGHT INTO THE STATION EMOTIONLESS AND STATED THE DEVIL HAD DISPOSED OF HER FOUR OTHER FRIENDS. POLICE SUSPECT THAT SHE MAY HAVE HAD A PSYCHOTIC BREAK, KILLED HER FRIENDS, AND HID THE BODIES WHERE THEY HAVE YET TO FIND THEM. HER FOLLOWING TALE IS JUST TOO INSANE FOR US TO POSSIBLY BELIEVE. THE FOLLOWING AUDIO IS THE STORY WORD-FOR-WORD AS SHE TOLD.

“I know none of you will ever believe me, I wouldn’t either, but you have to believe me when I say the Devil himself took my friends.
It all started when Kyle, the main jokester of the group, got his hands on a cracked and time-worn Ouija Board. The thing really did look ancient. At the time, we had joked the thing was as old as the Earth itself, but we didn’t know how close to the truth we were. Kyle dared us all to do a ritual he had found on some dark website. We stupidly made a pentagram out of some leftover black paint. We decided we would do the ritual in Jamie’s, her parents were barely ever home, and even when they were they didn’t seem to care about anything. We lit all the candles, burned all of the right herbs, and said all of the words the website instructed us to.
We put the board in the middle and sat down to play. They dared me to speak first, knowing that I had never wanted to do the stupid ritual. My parents had taught me the religious way; never sin; go to church every Wednesday and Sunday; don’t cuss; only pray to and worship the Lord Almighty, and definitely don’t do rituals of the Devil. But I was forced into it by peer pressure; it’s a nasty thing. Wouldn’t you agree, officer?”

WE BELIEVED AT THIS POINT REBECCA WAS IN SHOCK. SHE DID NOT APPEAR TO HAVE ANY EMOTION WHILE TELLING US HER TALE. SHE JUST SAT THERE BLANK FACE.

“I said the words they said to say; I called for the Devil to hear us that day. We all put our hands on the middle piece of the Ouija board, and the thing went flying, embedding itself into the wall. By that time my friends had realized that, what they thought of as a joke, had gone so terribly wrong. At first we tried stopping it, but it was already too late. The Devil was already there.
A large chasm opened up in the pentagram, flying out of it was a monster so horrific, that at first we could not believe what we were seeing. The Devil was once an angel, but this being was nowhere near angelic. Great long jagged pitch-black horns protruded from an ashen-grey face. The face itself looked sunken and hollow; the eyes had no light; they were coal-black. The mouth was curled up in a murderous snarl, baring it’s jagged bloody teeth. The skin was almost translucent, so pale that we could see it’s insides. Its legs were bent and looked horrifically broken. The arms were long and nearly reached the creature’s feet. The arms led to even more terrifying hands, long spindly fingers caked in blood and bits of human flesh. It had large black scaly wings with pointed ends that were so abnormally shaped, one could have called it comical, if not for the pure terror of it. Its whole body was hunched over, as if years of carrying something heavy had weighed it down. It was what a being of pure evil truly looked like.
My friends and I let out a joined screech, piercing the dead silent air. It got to Leticia first. Moving faster than it should have, it flew at her, it’s long arms stretched out to grab her. It grabbed her by the neck, pulling her towards it. We didn’t try to stop it, as it raised her towards it’s wide open mouth. Making a horrible popping sound, it unhinged it’s jaw, opening it wide. Letcia’s head was then bitten clean off, her screams of fear ending suddenly, replaced by the horrible sound of bones crushing. I looked away horrified by what was happening. As a group we ran towards the stairs, screaming for our parents who were not home.”

AT THIS POINT WE HAD ALREADY DECIDED THIS STORY WAS A TOTAL FABRICATION. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY IT COULD BE REAL. THE DETAIL SHE USED TO DESCRIBE THIS “BEING” MAY BE GREAT IN DETAIL, BUT COMPLETELY LACKED ANY REALITY. HER LACK OF EMOTION LED US TO THEORIZE SHE MAY BE SOCIOPATHIC. WE ALSO THEORIZED THAT THE GROUP OF SO CALLED FRIENDS COULD HAVE BEEN HIGH OFF OF SOME DANGEROUS DRUG. REBECCA COULD HAVE SUFFERED A BAD HALLUCINATION, AND WHILE HIGH, UNKNOWINGLY KILLED ALL OF HER FRIENDS. WE HAVE FOUND NO EVIDENCE THOUGH TO SUPPORT EITHER OF THESE CLAIMS.

“We ran up the stairs, for the door to leave to the basement, but the stairs disappeared from underneath us. The remaining four of us went crashing to the floor. Kyle’s leg made a disgusting cracking sound, when he landed. His leg was bent in the wrong direction, and I could see the broken bone protruding from the torn skin. Blood poured out from his leg, making a crimson puddle around his body. The creature stretched its arms out wide, with bits of Leticia still on it’s fingers. It grabbed Kyle by his twisted leg, pulling him closer to itself. By then, I think we all turned away. We only heard the horrid crunching sound. Bones being crushed, the smacking and excessive chewing of the skin, Kyle screaming for help, and then the short silence that followed.
My three remaining friends and I were the only ones who were left. We tried scrambling to find a hiding place, but wherever we went the boxes would fly away from us, revealing our cowering figures.”

THIS PART WAS THE ONLY TIME WHEN HER BLANK FACE SHOWED EMOTION. A SINGLE TEAR RUNNING DOWN HER FACE, LEAVING A STREAK BEHIND ON HER CHEEK. WE ASSUME THAT THIS MAY HAVE JUST BEEN AN ACT, HER TRYING TO SELL US THE STORY. WE HAVE TRIED TO THEORIZE WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPEND, THAT CAUSED HER SOCIOPATHY, BUT WE HAVE FOUND NO PAST TRAUMA TO HINT US TO THIS CONDITION.

“It made quick work of Riley, grabbing him by the legs and arms. Using strength, it didn’t seem to possess, it tore him in half. Riley’s insides were now on the outside, trailing down from his body in a bloody mass. Blood rained down onto the floor, our shrieking intensified, pleading to be set free. Nobody would hear; nobody would see; nobody would be there to witness the horrors.
With only Jamie and I left, we crawled towards each other. Ours knees banging into hard concrete on the ground, a red and black mass building up. Dark purple bruises, covering our bodies. We made it to each other, and cowered together in fear. We knew that there was going to be no saviour, no one to save us. The monster grabbed Jamie by her head, her shrieking for me to save her, but what could I have done? Nothing. Her screams abruptly stopped, leaving a disturbing echo in the room. After the echo stopped, the only sound left was my sobs of grief and fear.
It was so silent, the silence was suffocating. The silence was too great, I wanted to face my fears head on, and look at death in the face. I stared up at the Devil himself. His black bottomless eyes held murderous glee; whatever used to be angelic about him was no more, long gone and dead. His sunken face stared at me as if pondering what to do. Then his twisted mouth spoke, telling me gruesome and evil things. He had yearned for so long to do something like this. He thanked me for summoning him, his mouth growing into a sinister sneer. He told me he wanted to thank me for bringing him there. He said my prize was that I got to do away with myself. He gave me a gun and told me I knew what to do.”
BANG!

REBBECA HAD SOMEHOW BROUGHT THE GUN INTO THE STATION, WITHOUT US DETECTING IT. SHE BROUGHT IT UP TO HER HEAD. BEFORE WE COULD REACT. SHE PULLED THE TRIGGER, AND SHE FELL DEAD TO THE FLOOR. HER SHOT LEFT CRIMSON BLOOD ON THE WALLS, AND WE CALLED IT A WRAP TO THE BIRCH STREET MURDERS, DECIDING THAT REBECCA WAS THE KILLER, AND EVERYTHING WE HAD HEARD THAT DAY WAS THE RAVING OF MAD WOMAN.
© Copyright 2020 Vexed Reader (vexedreader at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2218503-Birch-Street-Murders