*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2219509-Chapter-1-First-Contact
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2219509
This chapter describes first contact with an Extra-Terrestrial presence.
A blue light lit up the communications screen as the annoying alert horn began its repetitive blare. Words began to appear and scroll across the screen. Rita leaned forward for a closer look. "Activate Hotel Charlie 1 for secure interface with Delta 6."

What is it now? "Mel, get up here! We have a priority one transmission."

Melvin O'Connor bolted up from the cot where he'd been dozing. A priority one transmission meant an encrypted message on the secure net. It was reserved for classified message traffic, usually important stuff like operations orders.

"On my way," he replied, pulling on his trousers. Rita was his first officer. While he was the commander, this was only a scout ship and there were only two humans on the crew. It follows that there wasn't much of a distinction between Captain and first Officer and when you factored in that she was also his spouse, it wasn't much at all

He moved quickly from his cabin and down the corridor. In less than a minute he reached the control center. Rita was bringing up the teleconferencing screen but it would be several minutes for the transmission to coalesce. An image began to form on the CRT. It was Vice Admiral Lacy, which was in itself a surprise. He'd only seen the man twice in his career, much less have a one on one conversation.

What the heck have I done to deserve this..? . The image sharpened and when the green light came on Lacy spoke.
"Commander O'Connor," he began in a serious voice. "We've received a report that something is taking place the other side of Venus. A reliable source has reported some anomalous activity."

What the heck is anyone doing mucking about beyond the far side of Venus? There's nothing out there but deep space.

We need for The Goudy to go over there and check it out." There was a pause as the Admiral looked at what appeared to be a written communication on a clip board. Mel waited patiently for what he hoped to be more elaboration...

"Commander, I want you to cloak up and take a wide approach that will bring you in behind the orbit. The route and checkpoints are being fed into your NAVGUIDE. When you get inside imaging range, I want you to uncloak and snap a few photos. Make it a quick shoot, no more than five (5) seconds, I want you to crank the selector knob to high and let the speed imager roll, click! click! click..! and then button up and scoot back out of there." The Admiral paused.

What can this be all about? "We can do that Sir..."

"I have every confidence that the mission is in capable hands. For the next two weeks you'll be operating in a Level 5 passive mode. "Don't even raise your voice to the First Officer..." His face warmed and he straightened up assuming a more relaxed demeanor. "Any Questions?"

Hell yeah I have questions...what the heck is this all about? "Admiral, can you describe the nature of what we'll be imaging? Is it the size of a meteorite ...an asteroid?

"Commander, I can't elaborate further. All you need to know is that you'll know it, if you see it.... God speed and safe journey." The screen faded and blinked out.


© Copyright 2020 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2219509-Chapter-1-First-Contact