*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220281-Conversations
by Zehzeh
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2220281
Snowed in with a cat and a dog.
'Good morning, log basket, you're looking glum this morning! I don't suppose you went out to fetch some more wood? I thought not. I suppose I'll have to go, Pot Belly will be hungry soon and you know how snarky she gets if there's nothing but embers left.'

'Here you go, my little love. A nice, juicy log to warm up your innards. Come-on, sweetie, open your door. Don't sulk now, Pot Belly is a term of endearment, you are the perfect stove, with room for the biggest logs and your complexion is glowing.'

'It's snowing again, Jacko. I know you don't want to go out, what cat enjoys the snow? Look, I'll sit beside you and watch those great, fat flakes falling like angel's feathers. Isn't it strange how the whole world goes silent? It's as if the forest is pulling a white duvet over its head and snuggling down until the thaw.'

'Walkies Bodger! Fetch your coat while I get my snow boots on. No, you daft mutt. Your coat. Not my slippers. Bodger! What have you done? It's nothing but shreds. Don't pull that face. You're not in the least bit sorry. Coat! Fetch! Good boy!'

'Flippin' 'eck! It's a bit parky out here! Bodger! Don't... You daftie. If course the snow will fall on your head if you knock the branch. Go make yellow snow somewhere else. And leave the squirrels alone. And mind the drifts... Too late. Stop your whinging, I'll fish you out. Blimey! You weigh a ton. And don't shake your snow over... Drag you dog! Let's get those logs in before this becomes a proper blizzard.'

'No signal. The power to the mast must be down again. No chance of an engineer out to fix it in this weather, eh, Jacko? So much for technology. Not that cats give a mouse's whisker for internet. You'll soon start moaning if I can't get a delivery of cat food. Ouch! That hurt! I was only joking. There's dozens of tins left. No Bodger! You won't have to eat cat food. There's lots of dog food left. It's just the coffee that's getting low.'

'Bodger! Stop scratching at the door. You can't really want to go out? It's howling out there. Bodger! Stop! Bodger? What is it? There's nothing out there. Settle down!'

'What the hell? Out of the way, Bodger!'

'Dear god! How did you get here? You're frozen. Come on. Just a few more steps. Put your arm over my shoulder. Oooof! Up you get. We'll soon be out of this wind. Two steps up. One. Two. Careful. It's slippery. Lean against the cabin wall, the door sticks. I need to give it a kick. There! Inside with you!'

'Down Bodger! Let me get him to the fire. Jacko! Off the chair! Sit here matey. Let me do the zip. Oh. Jenny? What...? Jenny? How...? Stay awake, Jen. Don't fall asleep. Jennifer! Wake up! What do you mean you're sorry?'

'I am too.'

500 words
© Copyright 2020 Zehzeh (zehzeh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220281-Conversations