*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220493-These-are-the-TIMES-That-Try-Mens-Souls
Rated: E · Editorial · Spiritual · #2220493
COVID-19 has taken over. They call it a Pandemic. I call it a loss of faith and hope
What a GREAT and AWESOME morning. My eye is a little swollen, but there is no pain, just a little sore to the touch so I keep my hand off of it. LOL That little itch will not make me scratch it and cause it to get infected.

These are the times that try men's souls!

My soul woke up this morning with praise, but my spirits were a and still are a little uncomfortable. The feeling is that so many "Christians" are living in fear of COVID-19! That is distressing me. One of my neighbors called to tell me how sad she was about all of the people dying and how it was making her feel. A few days earlier, other friends called to talk about their depression about the deaths, and COVID-10. Not one of them talked about their faith or their hopes for tomorrow.

So, naturally, I had to examine me to see what I was missing. I read and hear about the number of COVID-19 deaths, and then I ask what about those that died today of natural causes, heart attacks, cancer, strokes, car accidents, drowning, and the list goes on, and I wonder are we even thinking about them? What about those that are dying because there is no bed for them in the hospitals, and just if there were they might get the treatment they need. Have we come to think that only COVID-19 is afoot in our communities and otherwise life is just dandy?

I think not! Mothers are still mourning the deaths of their babies that did live more than a moment. Husbands are still losing it over the deaths of their wives who lost their battles to breast cancer. And, yes, that wedding that was planned for June will no the happening because of the death of the soldier dying for America in some foreign land.

These are trying times, but not any more or any worse than others that have gone on before or even thoughts that are yet to come. So, I ask each of you to be strong of heart, and face each day with hope, knowing that there will be a better tomorrow if we just do not lose hope!

I give you Thomas Paine

"THESE are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."

Thomas Paine, The Crisis No. I (written 19 December 1776, published 23 December 1776)

Peace and blessings always!
© Copyright 2020 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220493-These-are-the-TIMES-That-Try-Mens-Souls