*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220835-Your-Life-Isnt-Over
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2220835
A positive test at the Doctor's office can be a devastating blow for a young man
"Johnny, I've been your doctor for a long time."

"I know, Doc, all my life. Have you gotten the test results back yet?"

"Yeah, Johnny, I have them back. I don't know how to say this any other way, but to tell you that the test results were positive. I wish I had better news for you today, but I have to be honest with you."

"Oh, no Doc, I mean, I'm only eighteen years old. I have my whole life ahead of me, or at least, I did. Can' t we retest or something? Are these tests one hundred percent positive? Throw me a safety-line here, Doctor, I'm sinking fast."

"Well, Johnny, you don't have much longer, you know that. I mean, you knew that before you came in here today, didn't you? Didn't you?"

"Yeah, I guess so, Doc. But I hoped it would be different. I wanted to go to college and play ball. I had a scholarship. I wanted to do wild things and spend what's left of my youth getting drunk and chasing women. You know, Doc, like all the other kids my age. I sure as hell didn't want this. I'm too young. I feel strong as an ox, and I'm ready for all the challenges life has to offer. And now, that's all come crashing down around my ankles."

"Don't look at it like that, Johnny. You need to take every day as it comes and do as much with each one as you can. I know this news has to be depressing for you, but don't lose hope. Keep a positive outlook, and things will work out."

"Crap, Doc. How are things going to work out? I'm eighteen. I only have a high school education, and with this news, I see my scholarship swirling down the toilet. My life is over, Doc."

"Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, your life isn't over yet. You just have to take what's left of it and make it the best life you can. Do you think that Angela is going to take the news like you are, or is she going to make something positive out of this little bit of bad news?"

"Angela? Doc, do we have to tell her now? Can't we wait a few days? I need to think. I have to make plans. There are a million things I have to do before you let her know about this."

"No, Johnny. Angela is my daughter, and I really should have told her that she is pregnant before I told you. But I promised you I'd let you know first. Now, you and I are going to break the news to her together. I've got you a good-paying job at the hardware store. I know you don't want to work for me, but I'm only a partner in that business. My partner, John Wilfred, will be your boss."

"Oh, shucks, Doc. His son, Billy, was dating Angela when we got hooked up."

wc 497


© Copyright 2020 jdennis (jdennis01jaj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220835-Your-Life-Isnt-Over