*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221280-Double-Meaning
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2221280
Flash Fiction 5-6-20 Word Count 167
Double Meaning


“You don’t mean that. If you did, you’d know it means something completely opposite.”

Mary looked at me. Or rather, her eyes bore holes in me like lasers. A wee bit angry was she, I thought.

“Oh really? Okay, Mr. Smarty Pants. Mr. High and Mighty. Mr. Dictionary and Thesaurus. Maybe I didn’t got to university like you. Maybe I didn’t get a degree like you. Maybe I didn’t write a dissertation like you. And maybe I didn’t write a book like you.” Mary took a breath.

I could see we needed a break from each other. We’d been too long in the barn, stablemates tethered to the apartment with nowhere to go.

“I still think you’re being very pertinent, John.” Mary went back to her book. She was not letting this go.

But I think I shall. No sense making a big deal about one word. No use trying to get my beloved to listen to a vocabulary lesson. That would be very impertinent of me.


W/C 167
© Copyright 2020 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221280-Double-Meaning