*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221460-Ocean-Boy
by Lori J
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing.Com · #2221460
48 Hour Challenge: Media Prompt - Ocean Eyes
Ocean Boy

Natty woke with a start, feeling as though she was still in the dream. An ocean came into view, with fierce, dark waves pounding the shore. A really forlorn feeling was enveloping her entire being. What does this mean she wondered? Just what could this mean? She felt there was something she should do. But what? She lived on an inlet that ran into the ocean. Was she terrified of the water? She didn't think so. She had been here on this very inlet before and had chosen this house because of the serenity she felt here.

She dressed, ate her breakfast, hoping the feeling would dissipate. She didn't have time for any craziness. She needed to finish unpacking and putting everything in order. Her sister was coming with her last load of items from their apartment this afternoon.

As she started emptying boxes, she felt overwhelmed by a need to do something. I'll walk to the dock; maybe that'll satisfy my mind. She grabbed a light jacket as she walked out the door, remembering it's always cool down by the water.

Walking at a fast clip, determined to get this little chore finished, she noticed that the marina was not open yet. Oh yea, this is Sunday. I don't think they open till ten or so. Walking to the window to check opening time, she saw a young child huddled against the corner of the door. His head was curled down into his lap, and he wasn't making any attempt to look at her.

As she tapped his shoulder, she asked, "Hey, what are you doing here?" She noticed he was shivering and then she saw a sign tied around his neck with a string.

She pulled him to his feet asking him, "What is this?"

He was not responding to her, so she opened the sign and read:
"This here boy ain't got no home. His mama up and died and his daddy done runoff. He eat all the time and he lazy. He can't say a word."

Natty looked at the note again, not believing her eyes. Then looking at the child, she knew she had to do something. She took off her jacket and put it on him. Taking his hand, she told him, "Come with me."

When they got to her house, she gave him milk and toast. He gobbled it down. Oh my. She wanted to give him more but knew they better let that settle. She ran a nice warm bath and helped him into it, hoping that would help his shivering. She found one of her smaller tee-shirts and helped him into it. Using pins on a pair of her old shorts, she took them up and helped him into them.

Then she wrapped him in a blanket. Sitting in her recliner, holding him in her arms, and singing to him, he was soon asleep.



© Copyright 2020 Lori J (lorimorse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221460-Ocean-Boy