*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221664-Chapter-5-Together-Screen-Play
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2221664
Comely and Pandora meet after a harrowing experience. It's a Life Changing Event (LCE)
EXT Princess Pandora and Prince Comely are together beneath the falls. She has rescued her mysterious benefactor and he lies in the bottom of the boat. She rows towards a small beach that sits on an inlet that forms a backwater behind the falls. Pandora rows over and jumps off. The sheltered cove blocks the wind. Her feet step on a gravely mixture of small stones. She grounds the boat in the shallows pulling it towards a sand bar. She fights with her wet skirt and pulls the prow onto the bank. The stranger retches over the side, gasping, coughing and spitting up water. He rises to his knees looking about, then steps over the side holding the rail. Pandora goes to assist him taking his arm and helping ashore. He staggers trying to find his balance, stumbles a few steps and slumps dropping to his knees. His condition seems to be improving. She notes her own soggy garments. Her blouse has ripped at the shoulder but still clings to her body. After a time, the youth seems to have his lungs clear enough to speak. He glances up at her and noting her appearance, his jaw drops open. He stares in dismay at the young girl. A long pause stretches between them, until Pandora decides to take charge.

PANDORA: "Sorry about your boat." She shuffles her feet uncomfortably with a look of guilt, "The wolves made me do it."

KINDED: "Don't apologize." The lad answers, "I'd have done the same thing."

PANDORA: She sighs looking about, at a loss for how to begin. "I suppose that things could have gone worse?"

KINDRED:He shakes his head in agreement. "I thought we were both goners."

PANDORA: "Do you know where we are?"

It starts to sprinkle.

KINDRED: "Not exactly." He scans the area looking out across the rushing river. "I've never come this far down stream before. Everyone hereabout knows the Great Falls border a realm of Dark Mystery and Magical Powers, not to mention an Enchanted Forest, and a ruler who doesn't take kindly to strangers."

PANDORA: "Fancy that." The Princess twists her soggy dress and squeezes water out through her fingers. "What's your name?"

KINDRED: The young man pauses "Kindred."

PANDORA: Wrinkles her forehead. Is he being evasive?

KINDRED: Counters, "And yours?"

She wonders how her mother would handle the situation. The answer is self evident.

PANDORA: "My Lady!" She replies with a condescending arrogance she's seen her mom use on many occasions. It is designed to put people in their place. Donning her "Princess" persona like a full suit of armor, she continues, "Once you win my trust, I might allow you to address me informally, if no one else is present." With that she looks away.

KINDRED: He has the amused look of someone whose identity is mistaken, however he quickly wipes the beginnings of a smile from his face. "You certainly have the dress and demeanor of a highborn."

"See you don't forget it." She answers looking up. "And you?"

Again he pauses. "My father's a grower."

Ahh-ha! A farmer's son, trying to hide his low birth. She knows now where they stand and throws him a condescending reply. "Farming's honest work." The lad welcomes the opening to converse.

KINDRED: "Indeed it is. Would that I was back there this very instant, plowing the fields and slopping the hogs." He swipes his wet hair back from his face.

PANDORA: "Well, Kindred, you're a farmer no more." She looks down her nose. "You serve me now, and fate has written you a different destiny."

KINDRED: Shakes head as if trying to figure out this new relationship. Understanding comes slowly. '''Tis true You saved my life..." He looks up trying to focus, elbows resting upon his knees

PANDORA: "I did, didn't I?" Puzzlement clouds her face. "This isn't the way it's supposed to happen."

KINDRED: "Huh?"

PANDORA: "You do know a knight is supposed to save his lady? " She shoots him a quizzical look. "And I wind up saving you. That's rather backwards, don't you think?"

KINDRED: Shrugs. "You'll have to ask a Knight."

PANDORA: "It's was a rhetorical question," she explains, in a tone of exasperation.

KINDRED: "What?"

PANDORA: "Duh... Call me MY LADY!"

KINDRED: Shows a look of disbelief.

PANDORA: It comes out harsh sounding and louder than intended. She takes a breath and reminds herself to stay composed. Edna's frequent admonition comes to mind. Princesses do not berate the peasantry. "Henceforth you shall address me properly." She scowls.

KINDRED: Flashes a mischievous grin. "You're quite a sight in that soggy dress, MY LADY." He eyes the womanly curves revealed by her clinging attire.

PANDORA: "And further you need to stop that obscene gawking." I best nip this in the bud. "It's rude for anyone to so openly display his . . ." she fumbles for an appropriate word. "Desire." She says finally.

KINDRED: Shows a slight embarrassment. "Forgive me." His words sound genuine.

PANDORA: "Forgive me what?" She emphasizes the "What."

KINDRED: "Forgive me, MY LADY." He blurts, as if cowered by the exchange.

PANDORA: "You're forgiven... Just see it doesn't happen again." Pointing her finger and shaking it, Pandora makes one last point, "...And don't forget that you owe me."

KINDRED: "Yes, My Lady." A note of playfulness creeps into his voice.

He might have said more but notices she's shivering. The wind is picking up and she shows a chill. He gets up and goes over to the boat. He reaches inside and opens a small hatch. Inside the water-tight compartment he finds a small assortment of essentials. He takes out a bundle of dry clothing, trousers, a shirt, and a pair of sandals, and tosses them at her feet.

KINDRED: "Put these on. I get cold just watching you. When you're changed, perhaps you'd be so good as to gather some firewood. I'll see if there's some fish to be had." He steps off and then pauses, glancing back over his shoulder. "By your leave of course, My Lady."

PANDORA: Aloofly Nods her approval, but his disingenuous tone is not entirely lost. Did I detect a note of sarcasm? Under normal circumstances Pandora has an ear for nuance, but the chill is distracting. The flannel shirt and cotton trousers, beckon her shivering body. No, of course not, she chides herself. That would require sophistication. What we have here is a simple country bumpkin.

The clothes look like a close enough fit, and she relishes the promise of something dry. When Kindred disappears she darts behind a rock and pulls them on. They were rough-sewn, but clean. A luxurious warmth spreads though her. While they fit a bit loose, that can be remedied by a seamstress. Why the soap? surely he doesn't think I smell like he does? With that she puts it in her pocket, steps into the sandals and sets out to find some wood. An hour later when Kindred ambles back there is a nice pile on the bank. He carries a stringer with three nice trout.

PANDORA: "I did my part, for all the good it does. We've no fire, or do you intend eating them raw?" She eyes the fish with distain.

KINDRED: "Peasants are trained to perform many low tasks. . . MY Lady," He, avoids eye contact, "fire-making is one of them."

He takes out the packet of dried tinder, and the starting bow. In short order he'd spits the fish over a small camp fire. He'd finds some salt and dried herbs in the boat's compartment. He mixes them into a paste and brushed it, with his fingertips over the fish. They turn out to be delicious. The Princess is ravenous. It's simple fare but tastes good, and turns out as fine a meal as she can ever recall.

PANDORA: Twilight settles. The music of croaking frogs fills the air. A southern breeze warms their skin and teases through their hair. She pulls a flexible metallic cord, woven with finely wrought strands from the lacings of her ruined blouse. She tosses the useless garment aside, then looks across at the young man. "... And what do you think the morrow bodes?"

KINDRED: He looks her in the eye. "Are you asking what we need to do?"

PANDORA: Waves her hand in a wide arc. "This is a situation suited to a man's knowledge." She pauses. "Yes, some advice is in order."

KINDRED: "We cannot go back." He strokes his jaw, "We're hemmed in by the forest and we can't row up the falls. It seems down the river is our best course, MY LADY."

PANDORA: "My assessment as well." She nods in his direction. "Your manners are improving." Pandora stands up.

In the distance a wolf howls. She stiffens. He stands with a worried

KINDRED: "We're not safe here. We need to put this place behind us.

PANDORA: "Leave now?

The howling is joined by others.

KINDRED: "Help me load the boat... Its best we travel at night."

© Copyright 2020 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221664-Chapter-5-Together-Screen-Play