*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221809-Basketball-Rivals
Rated: 18+ · Sample · Romance/Love · #2221809
Will two girls who come from rival high schools find love on the basketball court?
Here’s a new story snapshot. It’s just the introduction and the first few chapters. There’s no sex just yet because this will be a very long ongoing series about two girls who are from rival high schools and now play for the same college basketball team. It’s a slow burn romance story between the two of them. Also please comment below on what you think of it. Your feedback is very appreciated and helps improve my writing. All characters are subject to copyright laws, so please don’t try to copy and resell my stories. All characters involved in sexual activities are 18 or older. I hope you enjoy!


Marcela’s POV

Walking on to play for a college basketball team is a dream come true. To think I made it through the walk-on tryouts is a miracle in and of itself. There were so many talented athletes and somehow I managed to rise above them all to claim a spot on the team. Now I have to continue to work hard and prove that I belong on this team. I have my work cut out for me, especially when you have players like Kennedy Brooke who is my absolute role model! Last year she led the team to the Final Four, giving CMU their first elite eight victory in the history of the program.

Just watching her play gave me goosebumps and now I actually get to not only meet her, but I get to play on the same team as her! I’m so giddy with excitement. And she’s not the only one I’m excited to meet. There’s Fionna Beasley, the top defensive player in the conference. Solette Caldwell, our amazing small forward. Lauren Hamilton, the center that’s impossible to score on. And of course, Head Coach Tallah Clayton is another one of my role models. In her first year as head coach, she took a losing team and brought them to the playoffs for the first time in years. Obviously in her second year, she took them to the final four, which is even more impressive. And then there’s assistant coach Milena Riddle who was the starting small forward for the team last year and has come back to coach!

It does help that I already have a friend on the team. Even though Catlynne Foster graduated a few years before me, we grew up next door to each other. She’s the person who got me into basketball. She convinced me to try to walk on at CMU. Now she’s the starting shooting guard. I can’t wait to talk to her later.

As I make my way up to my dorm room, I’m super excited to meet my new teammates. I wonder who my roommates will be? I know they’re all on the team. I know they’ll most likely be freshmen. As I enter the dorm, I’m met by a lanky black girl with long braided dark raven black hair.

“Hey, you must be my new roommate. I’m Malynne Poole, but you can call me Maly,” she says as she holds out her hand.

I take it ecstatically. “I’m Marcela Elvira,” I say.

“It’s nice to meet you, Marcela, what position do you play? I play small forward,” she says.

“I’m a point guard,” I say.

“Nice, where did you go to High School?” she asks.

“Just a small town up north called Boyne City. Nothing special,” I say.

“Nice, I’m from Grand Rapids,” she says.

“That’s cool. I’ve always wanted to live in a big city,” I say.

“You’re not missing much,” she says as another girl walks in.

She’s got bleach blonde hair and a plastered on smile. “Hi, you two must be my roommates, I’m Danielle Owen and I’ll be your new starting point guard.”

Of course...

“Oooh,” Maly says, glancing back at me then at her.

“And what are your names?” Danielle asks.

“I’m Malynne Poole,” Maly says.

“And I’m Marcela,” I say.

“Nice, what positions do you play?” she asks.

“Small forward,” Maly says.

“And you?” Danielle asks as she looks over at me.

“Point guard…”

Her eyes go wide before a smirk plays across her face. “Oooh. Well have fun riding the bench.”

“You know we’re both going to be riding the bench this year, right? There’s no way we’re going to beat Kennedy out for the starting point guard position,” I say.

“Not with an attitude like that. I’m a winner and winners always start,” she says.

Before I can respond, our 4th roommate barges in. She drops her bag as soon as she sees me. “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. How did you make the team?” Sarah Wood asks.

“I walked on for your information. I take it daddy bought your way on, am I right?” I ask.

“Please, like I need help getting on the team, I actually got a full-ride sports scholarship unlike you,” she says.

“I take it you two know each other?” Maly says.

“I definitely wouldn’t consider us friends,” Sarah says. “You see, we went to rival schools. She went to Boyne City and I went to Traverse City St Francis. And of course we stomped them in the regular season and in playoffs.”

“Because you’re a private school and can recruit players all across the nation,” I retort.

“Big C’s, little c’s ain’t no c’s like excuses,” she says.

“This is going to be a long year,” I sigh.

“You can count on it,” she says as she grabs her things. “So have we decided on sleeping arrangements?”

“Not really,” Maly says.

We walk into the room with the bunks. “I call bottom bunk,” Sarah says as she sets her shit down on a bed.

“I don’t mind taking top bunk,” Maly says, taking the bunk above Sarah.

“I actually prefer the top bunk,” Danielle says as she takes the other side.

“I guess, I’ll take the bottom bunk,” I say.

“Well, we should probably get to the gym. Our first preseason practice starts soon,” I say.

“It’s just practice,” Danielle says.

“As much as I hate to say it, I agree with the rambler…” Sarah says. God, why am I not only stuck on the same team as her but we had to be roommates?

“Rambler?” Maly asks.

“It’s our school mascot,” I say.

“What kind of mascot is a rambler?” Danielle asks.

“It’s because Boyne City is full of people who talk too much,” Sarah says.

“Coming from you, that’s the pot calling the kettle black,” I say.

“Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is?” Sarah says.

“Let’s just head to the gym,” Maly sighs.

“For once that’s something almost all of us can agree on,” Sarah says.
At Practice

We get our stuff ready and head out. After we get to the gym and change, we head out onto the court. It’s almost like a dream walking onto the practice court.

“Shit, I’m going to get warmed up,” Sarah as she puts a headband to keep her dirty blonde hair from falling into her face. She grabs a ball. I’m definitely not going to stand around while she practices. I grab my own ball and go to the other side of the court to warm up as Maly stretches and Danielle does whatever she does on her phone.

After a few minutes the other players start to trickle in. And soon, my idol walks in. Kennedy Brooke. I try not to gawk. I can’t help it, I have to say something. She’s even wearing the white band that she always wears to keep her hair out of her face. I can’t help but touch my own identical band. “Kennedy Brooke, It’s such an honor to finally meet you. I watched every game. This is crazy! My names Marcela and I’m your biggest fan!”

“Woah, settle down Dandi,” Cat says.

“Cat! I almost didn’t see you!” I say as I practically leap in her arms.

“Jeez, Dandi. Come on, you’re embarrassing me,” Cat says.

“This must be the neighbor you were telling me about,” Kennedy says to Cat. Oh my god! They were talking about me? I wonder what they said.

“Yeah… she’s kind of like a stray cat that won’t leave you alone after you feed it. Babe, meet Marcela Elvira,” Cat turns to me. “Obviously you know Kennedy. I’m glad you decided to walk on.”

“Thanks!” I say overly eager.

“Oh my god, the game against MSU where you pulled that step-back jumper for the win was amazing!” I say to Kennedy.

“Calm down, Dandi… Let the girl breathe,” Cat says.

“It’s cool, I’m flattered. I think it’s cute,” Kennedy says.

“Damn, Cat. You sure know how to pick them,” Fionna says.

“Oh my god, it’s Fionna Beasley! This is like a dream come true!” I say.

“Come on, Dandi! Stop making such a big deal of this,” Cat says as she rubs her temples.

“Yeah, I like this girl,” Fionna says. “I got to know, what’s the story behind the nickname?”

“Dandi?” Cat asks. “This girl was always picking dandelions. Her hair was always full of them. I just started calling her Dandi.”

“That’s hilarious. Dandi it is,” Fionna laughs.

I can feel my face burning hot. “Thanks, Cat…”

“What are friends for?” she says as she puts her arm around my shoulder.

“Alright everyone, gather around,” Head coach Tallah Clayton says.

“Oh my god, it’s head coach Tallah!” I squeal. Kennedy and Fionna chuckle as Cat facepalms. I know I’ve already met her before when I built up the courage to walk on, but it’s still so surreal!

“It’s good someone has some enthusiasm. You’ll need it. We have our work cut out for us this year. We may have made it to the final four last year, which is much farther than anyone thought we’d make it, but that doesn’t mean shit. I want you all to erase last year from your minds. It’s a new season and we’re back at the bottom.”

She looks around at all of us. “That means I expect you all to work hard. Your positions are earned not given. So give it your best and let’s get at it.”

After coach finishes, she has us start with warm-ups, running layups, passing drills, and then we do a lot of conditioning.

“Ladies, let’s hustle,” Head coach Clayton says as we run sprints up and down the court. We continue to run more and more sprints.

“Alright, girls, bring it in. That was a good start. Now let’s run a scrimmage,” coach says. “Kennedy and Catlynne. You’ll pick the teams. Kennedy, shoot to see who gets first pick.”

Kennedy takes the basketball and pulls up, drains it. “I’ll take Fionna,” she says.

“Crap… I’ll take Soliette,” Cat says. Well there goes the top players on the team.

“Lauren,” Kennedy says.

“Usha,” Cat calls. Crap, she’s the second-string point guard…

“Vertasha.” Kennedy takes the second string, shooting guard.

“Eva.’ Cat takes the second-string center.

“Kathleen, get over here,” Kennedy says, taking the second string power forward.

“Salenna,” Cat says, taking the second string small forward.

Now that all the established players have been taken, Kennedy looks at the rest of us. “Take Dandi,” Fionna says.

“Alright, we’ll take Dandelion,” Kennedy says. As glad as I am for not being picked last, I have a feeling I’m not going to be able to shake that nickname.

Cat points at the freshman I haven’t met yet. “Skyscraper, you’re on our team.”

“We’ll take the twig,” Kennedy says, as she points at Maly.

“I’ll take Blonde,” Cat says.

“They both have blonde hair,” Kennedy says.

“Does it matter?” Cat says.

“Come on Ladies, we don’t have all day,” Coach says.

“You two, what are your positions?” Kennedy says.

“I’m a shooting guard,” Sarah says.

“Point guard,” Danielle says.

“You take the shooting guard, I’ll take the point guard?” Cat says.

“Works with me,” Kennedy says.

Great, Sarah’s on my team…

“Alright, pick your starters and let’s get started,” Coach says.

“Alright, my team, huddle up,” Kennedy says. “Fionna, obviously you're at power forward. Lauren you’ve got center. Vertasha, you’re at shooting guard. Which one of you plays small forward?”

Maly raises her hand. “Good, you’re starting,” Kennedy says.

“We’ll sub the rest of you in as we get started. Dandi, what’s your position?” Kennedy asks.

“Point guard,” I say.

“Okay, sounds good,” Kennedy says. “You both pay attention and we’ll make subs as we go.”

The girls line up as Danielle and Salenna sit out on Cat’s team with Kathleen Prince, Sarah, and me.

“Just because you’ve got it in with Catlynne doesn’t mean you’ve got the point guard position locked in,” Danielle says as she walks over to the sidelines.

“You know there are two other point guards who will be starting over us?” I ask.

“Not for long. I’ll soon be the number 1 point guard on this team,” Danielle says.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see,” I say.

As Kennedy’s team and Cat’s team go back and forth, scoring on each other. Kennedy, Cat, Solette, and Fionna dominate the game. Eventually Cat switches off and starts to guard Kennedy. The two go at each other with such fierce competitiveness. You can tell there are strong feelings between the two of them. Even though Cat’s normally pretty chill and fun, right now she’s a straight-up tiger out there as she battles it out with Kennedy. It’s like watching a battle between legends. They both lead the team last season in scoring and assists. They were the dynamic duo and to see them face off against each other is beyond anything I’d ever dream of. I can’t believe I get to witness it.

“Subs,” Kennedy calls. Sarah, Kathleen, and I rush out onto the court for the first time, along with Danielle and Salenna. My nerves are on fire as my heart races in my chest. Just breathe, Marcela. Just breath. You got this. I take the inbound pass from Maly and push it up the court. As Danielle comes to guard me, the ball bounces off my foot and into her hands. Before I can react, she blows by me and scores.

Crap! Not a good way to make my first impressions. “Come on Dandi!” Kennedy shouts.

I take the inbound pass again and take it up the court. I pass it to Maly before I can mess up again and rush to set a pick for Sarah. Sarah takes the ball off the screen and sinks a three-pointer.

Danielle takes the inbound pass and drives it up the court. I meet her at the half-court and she crosses me over, getting the best of me. She takes it to the top of the free-throw line and pulls up, scoring easily.

Crap! I’ve got to play better defense. I take the ball in and take it down the court. Fionna’s posting up and I bounce pass it down low to her. She easily dominates the freshman and scores.

I meet Danielle as she dribbles up the court. She tries the crossover again, but I’m not going to fall for it twice. She spins and sidesteps me. She battles me tooth and nail to the paint before she takes a step back and pulls up, scoring again.

“Subs!” Kennedy calls out and once again I’m on the sideline. Didn’t score a single bucket. Great…

“Nice screen,” Sarah says as she meets me on the sideline. “For a rambler.”

I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or an insult.

“See? Told you I’ll be starting in no time,” Danielle says as she walks by.

As practice wraps up, I can’t help but feel down after my performance. Cat comes by and wraps her arm around my shoulder. “Keep your head up. It was just the first practice.”

“Thanks, I just know I’m better than that,” I say.

“My first ever college practice, Kennedy, had me tripping over my own feet,” she says.

“Really?” I ask.

“Yeah, it was terrible. Much worse than yours,” Cat says.

“That does make me feel a little better,” I laugh.

“Hey babe, are you ready to leave?” Kennedy says as she walks up to us.

“Yeah, let’s bounce,” Cat says. Are they like… Dating or something?

Cat smacks Kennedy’s ass as they head out. “You got so lucky this time,” Cat says.

“You always say that when I beat you,” Kennedy laughs.

Cat turns back to me. “Hey, Dandi, why don’t you and the other freshman stop by the house later tonight.”

“Really?” I ask.

“Of course,” Cat says. “Text me and I’ll tell you where it’s at.”

“Cool! I’ll definitely be there!”

“Great, let the other shinies know,” Cat says as she and Kennedy head out.

I hang back and grab a ball to work through some dribbling drills.

“What are you still doing here?” Sarah asks.

“I clearly need to work on my ball-handling skills,” I sigh.

“Yeah, no kidding,” Sarah laughs.

“Why are you here?” I ask.

“There’s no way I’m going to let you outwork me,” she says.

“Well, bring it on,” I say.

She and I work on drills over and over again. For the next hour. Neither of us wants to quit while the other continues to practice. Every time I glance at her it just makes me want to work even harder. I’m not going to let her or Danielle beat me. I’m going to do whatever it takes to earn my spot on this team.

“How late are you going to stay here?” she asks.

“However long it takes. I’m not going to repeat the mistakes I made today,” I say. “Why are you still around?”

“Because I’m not going to let some Boyne City Farmgirl out work me,” she says.

“I’m not a farm girl, I grew up within the city limits, Ms. Daddy’s girl!” I say.

“What makes you think my family’s wealthy?” she asks.

“You went to a private school. My family could never afford the tuition. So yeah, you must come from privilege,” I snap back.

“Well, for your information, my family is probably as broke as yours. I got in with a scholarship because of my skills and grades, thank you very much,” she says. For the love of God, she just knows how to get under my skin.

“This is going to be a long 4 years…” I sigh as I walk away.

“Hey! Where are you going?” she asks.

“I’m done,” I say. “Besides, Cat and Kennedy invited all of us over to the team house.”

“She did?” she asks.

“Yeah, I’m supposed to tell you all,” I say.

“Well, shit. Let’s get going!”


---
I shoot Cat a text. ‘Hey, Cat. It’s Cela.”

“Dandi! Hey, gather up all the other shinies and bring them over to the address I’m about to text you.”

“Shinnies?” I ask.

“You know, shiny like a brand new penny.” Oh… I get it. She sends me the address.

“Hey, everyone,” I shout out at my roommates. “It looks like they’re asking us to go down to the team house.”

“Do you think they’re throwing a party?” Danielle asks.

“They’re probably going to lay down the law,” Sarah says. “Show us, freshmen, our place.”

“I heard the parties at this school are legendary,” Danielle says. “I bet that’s what it is.”

“Is that really why you chose this school?” I ask.

“It wasn’t the deciding factor, but it definitely was one of the bonus features that caught my eye,” she says.

“Well, I bet we’re just going to do some team bonding, probably a little get to know ya,” I say.

Sarah snorts out loud. “That’s definitely not going to happen. I bet they’re probably going to haze us at some point.”

“You can’t be serious?” Daniella says.

“Oh I’m serious. I have brothers who played college ball here. We’re getting hazed. But it’s cool. I’m sure it won’t be anything serious. Just go along with it and then you’ll get to do it to the future freshmen,” Sarah says.


At the house.

“Alright, freshmen. We’re having an official unofficial team meeting,” Kennedy says in the basement of this giant house the road off of Greek row.

“We’ve got some rules to lay down,” Fionna says.

“Just listen and don’t interrupt,” Kennedy continues.

“Only speak when spoken too,” Fionna says. “Understand?”

“This is one of those few moments where you’re being spoken too,” Catlynn says.

“Understood,” I say. Sarah and Maly chime in as well.

“Seriously?” Danielle says.

“Excuse us?” Fionna asks.

“This is ridiculous,” Danielle.

“Then leave,” Kennedy says.

“Any of you other bitches who have a problem can too, but good luck trying to find a spot on this team,” Fionna says.

“Yeah, Coach always brings on more players than we can take. So one of you is getting cut,” Cat says.

“And don’t think for a second the undivided weight of our team’s opinion won’t make a deciding factor on our coach's decision,” Kennedy says. Danielle shuts up.

“Now, do you all understand?” Fionna asks.

“Understood,” We all say in unison.

“Good,’ Fionna says.

“Now, let’s talk about the rules. The first and most important rule, the team comes first. No petty squabble, no boyfriend or girlfriend for some of you…” Kennedy says before pausing and wraps her arm around Cat and pulls her into a hot and steamy kiss. Cat’s dark caramel skin perfectly contrasts with Kennedy’s as Cat wraps her arms around Kennedy. Some of the other teammates cheer them on. Without letting go of Cat, Kennedy breaks from the kiss and looks at us. “Will ever come before the team.”

“Second rule, I’ve already stated it, but I’m going to state it one more time, only speak when spoken too,” Fionna says. “Third rule, the hygiene of the house is now your responsibility. It will be your duty to make sure the weekly cleaning list is taken care of each week. If the trash is ever full, take it out. If they’re dishes in the sink, wash them, dry them, and put them back in their place. Got it?”

“Understood,” we all say not in unison.

“Rule 4!” Cat says. “You all are to remain sober for the entire season. If we need a DD, one of you will be called to pick us up and drive us around.”

“If you don’t have a car, you can drive one of ours. But so help me god, if one of our cars gets scratched, there will be hell to pay,” Kennedy adds.

“Also, nothing said behind closed doors in a team meeting can be repeated outside of the team,” Fionna says as she looks at every single one of us.”

“Listen,” Kennedy says as she let’s go of Cat. “We’re successful because we’re more than a team.”

“We’re a god damn family,” Fionna says. Her words echo in my head.

“That means, you will have each other’s backs no matter what. Any questions?” Kennedy asks.

We all start shaking our heads.

“Good, now you’ve got your work cut out for you. This house hasn’t been cleaned in a long time and none of you can leave here until it’s spotless. The list is posted on the corkboard up in the kitchen. You better get to work if you want to leave her at a decent time,” Fionna says. We all scramble to climb out of the basement. Dannielle sighs all the way up the stairs.

Looking at the list, it’s really not all that bad. Nothing I haven’t done at my job. “I’ll clean the bathroom.”

“Seriously? Why would you want to do the bathroom?” Sarah asks.

“I’m used to cleaning bathrooms. I’ve got cleaning bathrooms down to a system,” I say.

“Fine by me. I’ll take a crack at the mountain of dishes,” Sarah says.

“I’ll be damned if I clean up after them,” Danielle says.

“Have you ever cleaned a day in your life?” I ask.

“Pff. No. That’s what you pay people for,” she says, flipping her perfect blonde hair.

“You know, somehow I’m not surprised,” I say.

“I’ll dust and vacuum,” Maly says.

“I guess I’ll clean up the trash and take it out,” The only other freshman I don’t know. I think her name is Leena?

“This is so stupid.” Danielle opens up the fridge. “Oh my god, this is so disgusting. There’s no way I’m going to clean the fridge out.”

“Fine, we’ll just clean it out ourselves,” Sarah says. “And when Kennedy asks us why you’re not helping out, well just tell her you’re not committed to the team.”

“Urgh,” She growls out. “I did not come here to be someone’s maid.”

And yet, she bucks up and starts to clean the fridge out.

“Since we have to do this weekly, I say we just start a rotation,” I shout out.

“Obviously!” Sarah shouts back from the kitchen. God, I can’t stand her, but I’d rather spend all day with Sarah than a minute with Daniele. At least with Sarah, even though I may not like her, I respect her. She works hard and she is at least a team player. Daniele complains constantly, she’s selfish and is so arrogant.

Cleaning the house doesn’t take us nearly as long as they made it to be. We’re out of there before 10. “You know, that wasn’t so bad,” I say as we walk out.

“Are you serious?” Danielle says.

“Ehh, I’m used to cleaning. I do at home, I might as well do it here too,” Sarah sighs.

“You know, Walk on is right about you, you can’t possibly be rich,” Danielle says to Sarah.

“I know, right? That’s what I’ve been trying to tell her, but I swear she just doesn’t listen,” she retorts. I’m not sure whether I should feel insulted or if I want to laugh. You know, Sarah’s actually kind of funny.

“Will you girls ever stop arguing?” Maly asks.

“Well, maybe if they ever stop talking. Then I’ll have nothing to argue about,” Sarah says with her bright smile. I’ve never really noticed it before, but it can light up the night better than the moon and stars. The way she wears her blonde hair in a mess or tied up in a ponytail as she did during practice, just doesn’t really fit the whole picture I painted in my head of her. I just always assumed everyone who went to a private school were always wealthy rich kids who never work a day in their lives. Sarah’s definitely not at all like that. She’s funny, she works hard, she’s a team player and she doesn’t complain.

---

Sarah’s POV

The Next Morning

“What are you doing up?” Marcela asks me as I sneak out of our bunk room.

“I could ask you the same thing,” I say, grabbing my shoes and getting my gear ready.

“I always get up this early. I like to get a good practice in first thing every day.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I sigh. How do we have the same routines? I need to beat her. Fuck, why do I feel this way for someone from Boyne City? But she’s so fucking adorable. And… I just love to mess with her. The way she nerded over the starters was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. A bit pathetic and she’s definitely a dork, but she’s so… Beautiful.

We both grab our gear and head out of the dorm. We walk the entire way to the gym in silence and All I can think about is what I could say to ease the awkwardness. I wish I could just tell her the truth. That I had a crush on her since the first time we played against each other in 8th grade. She’s one of the reasons I work so hard because I want to impress her. I want to tell her how much I love how dedicated she is to become the best. The way she works so hard to achieve her goals just causes something inside me to burn hot.

I love how flustered I can make her. I just hope she doesn’t hate my guts for pushing her buttons. I just can’t help myself when I’m around her. She’s just so damn cute. She’s kind of a girl scout. Always doing the right thing. Always expect the best from other people.

As we enter the gym, I head over to the other side of the court and start to warm up as I steal glances over at her while she works on her dribbling drills. She wears the same kind of headband Kennedy wears and it does a great job of holding all that black hair that I just want to run my hands throughout her face. The fact that she’s almost a head shorter than me only adds to how much I adore her. And those wide hips…

No… I can’t get caught up in Marcela. I came to this school to make something of my life. I fought so hard to get where I’m at. I can’t stop. I won’t stop. Not for Marcela, not for anyone. I’m going to become the best basketball player ever and I’m going to get my degree. I’m going to do something great with my life. I owe it to my mother. That’s what she’d want.

We both work hard, pushing ourselves. Working on our drills. I spend every minute, practicing various shooting and dribbling drills. I shoot around the arch until I can’t miss. I practice my shot off the dribble. I work on my crossover and other dribbling techniques. By the end of it, I’ve worked up quite a sweat.

I glance over at Marcela and she’s still going strong. God, what has possessed this girl? She goes at it as if she had an endless supply of energy. Like the energizer bunny, she just keeps going and going. I can’t let her outwork me! Not today. Not ever!

By the time she finally calls it, we’re both drenched. “I’d thought you’d quit a long time ago,” I say as she changes out of her basketball shoes.”

She only laughs. “Yeah, right. You wish.”

No not at all. “You know, there’s no way you’re ever going to surpass me, right?”

“Sarah, it’s only a matter of time,” she says, looking up at me with those dark brown eyes. It’s like staring into the night sky at the twilight of dawn the way the lights sparkle off of them.

“Only in your wildest dreams, Rambler. What even is a rambler anyways? Like a wheel with wings? That’s such a stupid mascot,” I say as I take a seat next to her and change out of my shoes.

“Hey, I didn’t pick the mascot, but at least we never had to recruit to win games,” she says.

“And that’s why you never won a game,” I say. “If your school would’ve recruited me, you’d be state champions.”

“As if,” she says.

“Okay, Dandi,” I say with a smirk.

“Oh shut up!” She spits out as she gets up and starts to walk away. I quickly get my shoes on and catch up to her.

“Awww, did I hit a nerve?” I ask.

“Don’t you have something better to do than annoy me?” she asks.

“But annoying you is so much fun!” I laugh as I trail behind her. My eyes slowly take all of her in. Her silky black hair that seems to shine as the morning sun hits it. The way her ass just eats up those shorts… And the way those calves flex with every step. God I knew college would be hard, but I never thought it’d be this hard. I’m going to have to go take an ice-cold shower to get rid of all these thoughts and feelings.

“So… What classes are you taking this semester?” I ask as I walk up beside her.

“Why do you care?” she asks.

“Oh come on. I know we’re “rivals” and all, but you’re the only person here that I know. You’re so lucky to have Cat, I’m not going to lie, I’m totally jealous,” I admit.

“Well… I guess you’re right. Cat is more like a big sister than a best friend per se. Even though we grew up next door, she was 2 years older than me and she was the coolest girl at school. She wasn’t your typical superficial popular girl or anything. She was just so chill. I admired her and even wanted to be like her ever since we met. So it’s not like I was ever invited to her house for slumber parties or anything,” she says.

“But even still, she’s someone you can talk to, right?” I say.

“Yeah, true. Still, I’m kind of shocked to see her with Kennedy. I had no idea,” she says.

“Really?”

“No. Not a clue. As I said, I was never really invited over or anything. She treated me like an annoying kid sister. Don’t get me wrong, she was always nice to me and always gave me rides to school and whatnot, but I was never the one she came to tell all her secrets to,” she says.

“So what do you think about her being… Gay?” I ask. I don’t know what exactly I’m hoping for.

“Oh, I have no problem with it. I’d never judge someone,” she says.

Does that mean she’s straight? God… That’s just like me to fall for the straight girl. “Cool…”

“You know, I gotta say, you’re not who I expected you to be,” she says.

“And what exactly were you expecting?” I ask.

“I thought everyone who went to private schools were stuck up bitches that were spoiled rich kids,” she says.

“Oh? While I thought everyone that went to Boyne were hillbilly farmers who were missing teeth,” I say. She snorts out a laugh.

“I guess, you’re not so bad.” I can feel the heat rush to my cheeks over such a simple compliment.

“Yeah, you’re not the simple farm girl I thought you were. Besides, I’d much rather hang out with you than Danielle,” I laugh.

“Finally, something we can agree on. Danielle is the worst,” she says.

“Right? And you thought I was an uppity rich bitch. That girl takes the meaning to an entirely different level,” I laugh.

“No joke. Could she be any more superficial? I’m so pissed she got the best of me during practice yesterday,” she says.

“Don’t sweat it, you only made one mistake. Besides, even with that mistake, I thought you played so much better than she did,” I say.

“Are you kidding me? She beat me almost every time we faced off. If I don’t get my shit together, I’ll be the one getting cut,” she says.

“Yeah, right. Are you kidding me? They all love you. Danielle may have talent, but she’s not a team player. You heard what Kennedy said, the team must always come first. That’s not who Danielle is, but you’ve proven yesterday that you’re more than willing to put the team first,” I say.

“You really think so?” she asks.

“As much as I hate to admit it, I’d choose you on my team. Especially over Danielle,” I tell her as we arrive back at our dorm. Her face blooms like a rose bush and I can’t lie, it’s really melting my heart.

As we walk in, the annoying voice of Danielle makes my skin crawl. “Do you really think so? Yeah? God, maybe tonight after practice you can come over…” she says on her phone.

I can’t help but roll my eyes. I can only imagine the type of guy that would get with this hoe…



Please let me know what you think in the comment section below. Please give it the thumbs up if you enjoyed it and sign up for my email newsletter by clicking the link below if you want more lesbian fiction. https://scarletrose.gr8.com/

© Copyright 2020 Scarlet Rose (scarletrose8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221809-Basketball-Rivals