*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2222395-The-Hatchery
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2222395
The First draft of a first chapter of a larger fantasy Adventure series...
Rated for mentions of blood and death.


         Kar’en paced back and forth in front of the tent entrance. Her hooves kicked up mud from the damp ground. She had been waiting the entire morning for her mother to emerge from the council room. Her tail flicked back and forth impatiently. She looked up at where the sun would have been if the fog of the wild plains was not so thick. She sighed and wished not for the first time that day that she was still back at the Academy, where she could actually see the sun and stars.
         She was trying to keep herself occupied and not make a rut in the ground from her pacing when she heard a soft cough behind her. She turned and smiled brightly at the male centaur who bowed his head and bent his front right leg.
         “Eb’non! It is so great to see you. I take it the position of King’s consort is treating you well?” She greeted the man by bowing her head just slightly.
         He nodded. “I have been enjoying your mother’s attention and helping her with the treaty arrangements.”
         Kar’en stiffened at the mention of the treaty but quickly relaxed when her mother stepped outside of the council chamber. “Mother!” She bounded over and hugged her ignoring the etiquette she had been taught from a young age. She as heir to the Southern Centaur Clan was not supposed to act so childishly, she could hear her etiquette teacher’s screechy annoying voice scolding her in her head.
         “Daughter, how was your trip from Mirrorwood? Are you tired? When did you return?” Her mother asked as she walked towards a slightly smaller tent to the left of the council chamber. Kar’en and Eb’non followed her, three guards all in the King’s colors and fully armored followed, though the three paid them no attention to them.
         “Mirrorwood is amazing mother you would love it. I got here last night, I didn’t want to disturb you until after the council ended.”
         “Kar’en darling you will never be a bother.” The King pressed a hand to her daughter's cheek and held it for a moment, before she dropped her hand quickly.
         A messenger came into the tent and bowed a hand placed across his chest and his right leg bent. “My liege, there is a disturbance on our northern border. The general asks for your presence in the map room.”
         “Thank you, I will be over in a moment.” The king spoke and the messenger left.
         “Mother what is going on, the bandits don’t attack during the fog.”
         “They have been much more reckless in the last year, perhaps because of the treaty ending.” Her mother explained.
         “Your Highness, should you not rest? You have been in the council chamber all morning…” Eb’non spoke up noticing the deep lines in the king’s face and her back slumped in fatigue.
         “A King’s job is never done,” She smiled thanking her consort for his concern. “Daughter would you like to join me, perhaps a different perspective will help us get past the stalemate between myself and the general.”
         “You and Aunt Gale are at odds? That is not new mother but I thought you’d have resolved your differences after you gave her the position.” Ka'ren stated as she followed her mother out of the tent and to another smaller and much longer tent then the others. She had to bend her head to enter, her mother did not need to.
         “She has become increasingly paranoid and I fear she will do something that I will not be able to fix.” The King grabbed Ka'ren’s hands in hers and held her still before they looked at the map on the large table that took up most of the room in the tent. “Promise me you will stay safe, please. Promise me you will leave if I tell you to.”
         “Mother what are you talking about?” Kar’en felt her mother’s hands shake and squeeze her tightly. She looked into her mother’s eyes she had never seen fear in them, until now.
         “Promise me…” She was begging her.
         Kar’en would do anything to relieve her mother’s stress and stop her shaking hands.
         “I promise.” She stated, squeezing the hands back and then releasing them as they all turned to the large table.
         They all observed as colored holograms pulsed on the map. They watched the map’s runes inform them about the magic barriers that protected the land. The ruling family had learned to interpret the map runes at a very young age; even before they could fully read their own language. What they were learning from the map did not bode well for the Southern Wild Plain Centaur Clan. The magic barriers bordering the King's land had been penetrated by an unknown magic. Slowly the symbol above the unknown magic marker shifted and changed into one that was all too familiar to those who were observing the map.
         “The bandits strike again at the Hatchery, they are relentless.” Kar’en stated. She had been born at the Hatchery 110 years before. Her twin brother, Zi’hab was a guard there. She had been planning to visit after she visited her mother, and before she returned to her studies at the academy in Mirrorwood.
         “We will have to ask the council what to do before we act on this new development.” The King stated.
         “We have always helped the Dawn family, why are we...”
         “We are held by the rules of the Treaty?” Kar’en stated words that had been repeated many times before.
         “The 500 year neutrality protection for the Hatchery?”
         “The treaty ends at the winter solstice. We must make sure we take every precaution to follow the law of the land, so that what we do propose does not get rejected by the council. The People’s Assembly this year will be about writing a new treaty, a representative from every clan must be there to create the treaty or it will be void. ” The King stated seriously. “I fear if I step out of turn with the council they will not appoint a representative for the Assembly this year.”
         “Why would they want to create conflict when we have lived in peace for so long?” Kar’en asked confused.
         “There are some who believe the land the Hatchery is on was once ours and they want it back.” Eb'non explained he had been a historian for the centaurs before he became the King’s consort. “My King treats men with respect and dignity because of this some of her citizens believe that she will allow them too much control. They fear that we will revert back to the days of northern clans. The council members believe giving men too much...”
         “Thank You, Eb’non.” Ka’ren stated placing a hand on his arm making him stop. He could speak for hours of politics if he had someone who would listen. They did not have time for such things when the enemy was walking over their land to the Hatchery.
         “When the treaty was signed our people were living in the northern plains, we had no claim on this land at the time.” Ka'ren stated confused, she had long been accustom to how her mother treated men and did not think it strange. Treating everyone equally was more like the Academy’s culture and the lands beyond the borders of her people. “How could they believe we were cheated by the treaty?”
         “Someone is feeding them lies and false promises.” The King answered the question shaking her head. “I wish I knew who it was...”
         “My king we have company.” Eb’non stated stepping between the two centaurs and those who were entering the tent.
         Ka'ren recognized them as council members. Three women older then her, their bodies were covered in brown and blue cloth of the King’s council. Their lower bodies bore armor and in each of their hands they held swords that were darkened with blood. She waited for them to bow but they did not show their respect. Eb’non stepped forward immediately suspicious of the council members. Someone else walked in behind them.
         “General what is the meaning of this?” The King asked stomping her back hooves. The General wore gold plated armor and held a sword that was dripping with fresh blood as well. Her entire body was ghostly white including her hair. Her body was smaller then most centaurs, however she held her self proud and looked straight at her sister without bowing.
         “I wish to relieve you of the burden of ruling the clan of our mother.” The women’s voice was stale with no emotion.
         “Aunt Gale why are you doing this?” Ka'ren asked. The General did not even glance at her niece her piercing blue eyes continued to stare down her older sister.
         “Your mother was going to allow this clan to go another 500 years in peace with those who have stolen our land and enslaved our people. I...We have had enough.” As she spoke armed warriors stepped through the entrance to the tent. They all wore helmets that covered their face from the King. They each held a bow and had a quiver tied around their waste. Their swords were sheathed on their backs. They surrounded the three centaurs cutting off any escape from the inevitable hostility.
         “I am the one you want, leave my mate and daughter out of this feud.” The King stated stepping forward and in front of the other two.
         “Mistress!” “Mother, No!” The other two reacted in surprise. Eb’non stepped forward to protect his King, he was stopped by an arrow hitting his side. He collapsed to the ground, the arrow had hit a nerve that severed his ability to stand on his two front legs.
         The King stepped in front of him anger getting the best of her as she protests. “How dare you harm the King’s mate, he carries no weapons.” She bent down and pulled out the arrow. Ripping a part of her dress she tries to stop the bleeding.
         “Listen to me.” Ka’ren states as she steps forward she hears her mother gasp as she was now in direct line of the warrior’s arrows. “What you are doing is treason you know our laws better then anyone here General.”
         “Your mother makes pacts with the northern centaur tribe without the council’s consent. She consorts with the leader and plans to abandon her people to his leadership…”
         “That is not true.” The King yells. She stands up though Eb’non tries to pull her away from the conflict; she lets go of his hand and steps away from him and towards her sister. “I requested to travel to the northern centaur tribe in an offer of peace between our kin-brothers.” A murmur went through the warriors at her words; many had family or they themselves had fled the northern tribe to find sanctuary with the Southern Clan. They would not be quick to forgive the northern tribes of their wrong doing to their own kin. “I was going to negotiate for my daughter to mate with the northern tribe Prince, if the council and my daughter agreed with the arrangement.”
         Ka’ren looked at her mother in shock realizing just how much her mother wanted to keep the peace in the Wild Plains. When her father was alive he had spoken so negatively of the northern tribes; she had had nightmares of them stealing her away from her bedchamber.
         “You wanted them to mate as equals to join the land and people together as one. Men are weak they have no right to be standing next to us in power or in battle.” Gale stated matter-of-factly. Looking down at the only male centaur in the tent.
         “When I learned magic at the Academy I saw men and women being treated equally. Over the past year I have learned that there is nothing wrong…” Ka’ren tried to convince the warriors in front of her that Gale was not speaking the truth. The King went back to Eb’non, the cloth was soaked with blood. She could feel the life slowly slipping from Eb’non’s body.
         “You see how the magic of the northern lands has poisoned our young heir’s mind and she has brought that poison back to hurt the King. She is a Shade,” Gale looked directly at Ka’ren accusingly, “magic is not welcome here and neither are you.” The General stated stepping forward to come in front of the council members.
         Ka’ren responded, not understanding the closed minded words of her Aunt. “Magic is not evil it helps those in need. Magic helps people stay warm, heal and communicate. Magic protects our land from...”
         “Look what magic has gotten us! The border protects while our bodies grow weak and our minds grow dull. We are unable to defend ourselves beyond our precious magic border because we have not had to for 500 years. We are weak and unprepared for the coming wars of these lands. We need a leader who will be ready to defend the land when the magic barriers fall.” Gale punctuated her words with her sword. “If you think you’re so great then why not prove you're worthy to be the heir to the crown? Fight me with out magic just your wits, let us see how long you last with out your crutch.”
         “Daughter, please.” Her mother begged. Ka’ren turned around and saw that her mother was standing over the dying body of her mate, tears were seen in her eyes. A King was not supposed to cry over the dead let alone her own mate.
         “You see how weak she has become crying over a kik who never deserved to be in the presence of our Majesty. She has been compromised and must be relieved of her duties so that we can survive the coming war.”
         The King stood up stepping up along side Ka’ren and placing a hand on her arm. She then straightened her back and look directly at her sister. “Not all believe compassion and love is a weakness, Sister. I have many allies who would defend a King who gave a non-noble centaur the honor to be in the King’s presence.” She stated and put two fingers to her lips and whistled. Instantly every warrior who had entered under Gale was matched by the King’s own personal guards. They were not all female, a few men held swords and axes in defense of their King too. “I will take your challenge leave my daughter out of this. Let her go.”
         Ka’ren saw her mother’s look as she spoke the last word and was reminded of the conversation they had just had, promise me when I tell you to leave that you will go, yet she hesitated to move now that the moment had come. She had promised though.
         “You think me weak that I would allow your daughter to take a message to your allies?” The General made a quick hand gesture and the warriors’ bows were all aimed at mother and daughter. “No, I have dealt with most of your allies, your bloodline will not survive the night.”
         The King pushed Ka’ren out of the way as arrows began to fly towards them. Battle exploded around Ka’ren, she heard her mother cry and charge her sister. She did not have a weapon because she had not used one in many years. She had gone to the Academy instead of studying under her aunt in the army. She looked for her mother but she could not find her. Her mother’s guards were fighting well against the General’s warriors. She glanced behind her and saw Eb’non was struggling to get up another wound in his side had severed the nerves between human and equine body, a centaur had only minutes to live after a hit at that vulnerability.
         “Bare me no ill will.” Eb’non stated as he pushed Ka’ren out of the way of more incoming arrows, it was his last act before he died. One arrow grazed past her shoulder another on her lower left hind leg. She stated a small prey forgiving him and blessing his soul. She moved as quickly as possible in the small space, the tent was not made to accommodate a battle.
         She heard her mother yell in pain, She turned around ready to help her. Before she could go to her Mother’s aid she was cornered by three warriors. She knocked over the map table, all the maps and equipment fell to the floor. She turned quickly and kicked the fallen table at her attackers. Two of them avoided the table but the one in the middle tripped over the table, catching her back hooves on it. She grabbed the sword from where it had fallen from the warrior’s hand and sliced her throat. She was not proud of killing her own kind, but they had attacked first, Eb’non had been avenged.
         She turned to the other two warriors both had lost their helmets; she instantly recognized them. “Cora, Shannon you have known me all my life. Why do you betray my family? Why are you doing this?”
         The warriors did not respond, their eyes were completely void of color. She felt pain in her back and jumped out of the way, only one arrow hit its target. One of the King’s guards threw her an axe so she could fight off her two attackers. Her body began to remember the many sessions of combat training she had endured before she had left for the Academy. Her technique was rusty; her body was used to standing over tables of potions not moving quickly to avoid sharp weapons. As the minutes passed she was slowing down, pain began to overwhelm the adrenaline that had been pumping through her body earlier.
         She needed to escape and warn the Hatchery of their new enemy, her Aunt’s army. She found herself at the edge of the tent which was held up by large wooden poles, she had lost the sword and had only the axe to defend herself. Her opponents believed they had won the fight, they charged towards her. Quickly she slammed the axe into the pole and kicked it, the pole split knocking the tent towards her attackers and giving her time to escape. She used the distraction to run into the forest allowing the fog to envelope her, she hoped it would help her evade her enemies.
&&&&&
         As Kadin, 1st year Knight to the Trade Hall of Brightmount, awoke from a restless sleep he grimaced at the layer of moisture that had settled on his body. The fog that hung heavily over the land left a layer of dampness over everything. He opened his eyes and at first he thought he was still dreaming, all he saw was white moving against grey shadows. He blinked the drops of water out of his eyes and wiped his soaked hair to get the excess water off.
         The fog hid the sky from him, he had not seen the sun in over a week. Kadin pulled a small flat rock from below his sleeping blankets, it was the size of his hand, smooth, oval and light specked with darker minerals. A clear sphere floated in between a hole in the center of the rock. He tapped on the sphere and it began to spin as it spun faster the sphere began to change color from clear to green to blue. He tapped the sphere again and a small hologram formed above it. The hologram formed a rune that indicated the early dawn time and then changed to tell Kadin what he already knew, it was foggy and warm. At least it was warm for his thicker then normal hide that his people had evolved with because of the extreme temperatures of the Blue Mountains. He put the rock rune away and got dressed, his clothes were as damp as they had been the night before.
         Rustling around the brown grass that grew near the The Green Way was the creature Kadin used as transport, a large stagon, half stag half dragon. His companion, Sir Gaius, 20 year veteran knight, muttered under his breath. He and Sir Gaius had been assigned to take a message to the Hatchery. Very few people Kadin had spoken to as he had been leaving Brightmount knew about The Hatchery or could tell him what it looked like; fewer still had ever set foot in the Wild Plains. Their superiors had not been forthcoming as to why they had been sent into the Wild Plains during arguably its most dangerous season.
         Messages had been sent over the Magic Rune Network for over three years in and around Brightmount and Refleckton. The MageNet, as the northern people called it, had not been established well in the Wild Plains, so messages from Brightmount still needed to be sent by messenger to the Hatchery. Gaius was escorting Kadin because he had ventured once before when he was much younger into the Wild Plains and had visited the Hatchery. Sir Gaius was the only knight in the Trade house who had come back from a descent of the Barrentor.
         Kadin rolled up his sleeping blankets with out a word to his companion. They both were uneasy about the strange land they were in and would rather strain their ears for any strange noises then make any of their own. The mist was heavy and dense, it reminded him of his own home. His family lived in the Blue Mountains and white out conditions in the darkest times of winter were common.
         He could not see the stagon only a few feet away but he could hear it and that helped him find his way through the fog to his ride. The stagon was dark colored and large enough to hold his body. Its thick scaly hide could only be penetrated with magic laced weapons and its spiked tail that swept back and forth low to the ground could be used as a weapon if necessary. The stagons were long distance travel companions for the Trade House’s soldiers because they were unable to be used efficiently in battle.
         The saddle, that still lay where he had placed it the evening before, was soaking wet. He grimaced at the idea of sitting on it. He tied the blankets to the saddle and placed the saddle on the stagon’s back. He then brought out the rock rune again. He tapped the sphere and it began to spin, when it turned blue he tapped it again. He swiped quickly through the time and weather rune holograms. He only knew the rune magic he needed to help him in his travels. When he found the rune he was looking for he pressed against the sphere. The sphere began to spin faster and the hologram turned red. He placed the rock rune on the saddle, the hologram slowly turned green then blue and then it disappeared. Kadin placed his hand on the saddle and blankets, they were dry, he smiled. He pocketed the rune rock as he heard movement behind him.
         “K’din are you ‘bout ready?” Sir Gaius asked through the fog.
         Kadin turned in Sir Gaius’s general direction. “Yes I am ready.” He stated almost before he was done speaking he felt something smooth and cool to the touch envelop him. It pushed the fog away from where he stood and revealed his companion and stagon only a few feet away. Sir Gaius held a long wooden staff in his hand with a slowly dimming blue crystal found in the twisting branches at the top of it. He had decided against using the new rune rock given to them by the trade hall, instead he had opted for the old but true method of staff and crystal magic.
         “Let's get this message to its rightful owner soon, I’m getting tired of drinking fog water.” Sir Gaius greeted Kadin as he placed the staff in his mount’s saddle holder and mounted his stagon. His ride was considerably smaller then Kadin’s and its hide had a purplish tint to it, the breeders had explained that his stagon was female.
         Kadin mounted and moved in behind Sir Gaius, the magic they used to allow them to see each other was not very strong and if they were too far apart the spell would break. The sound of their weapons and armor were muffled by the heavy fog even with the magic allowing them to see each other.
         Sir Gaius’s armor bore cracks and welded repairs, his markings of the Trade Lord’s army was almost worn from the crest on his cloak that was wrapped tightly around his body. His beard and greying features could be seen under the blue hood of the cloak. The Wild Plain's fog dampness could bring on chills if one was not used to the heavy mists. He bore only one weapon a sword, the hilt was worn from years of use but the Trade Lord’s crest was still visible.
         Kadin was broad shouldered and had a large muscular body, his people were considered giants as their average height, weight and girth overwhelmed even the most well fed Northerner. His armor was clean and very new, just out of the blacksmith’s fires. He bore his crest on his tunic under the light chain mail he wore. He had two weapons the sword given to all soldier’s of Brightmount; this was in a sheath on the stagon. The weapon he rode with and was most efficient with was the hammer that he carried on his broad back. The hammer bore the crest of his family, the Axnstone, dualpeds of the Blue Mountains who were well known for their strong bodies and even stronger weapons.
         “Sir Gaius,” Kadin stated squinting his eyes at something hazy and indistinguishable in the fog to his left. “Do you see that?” he asked pointing up into the sky.
         The older knight turned to look at what Kadin had noticed, it was something brighter white then the rest of the fog, as if it gave off its own light. It was moving quickly and coming towards them. The stagons rarely were startled, yet now Kadin’s ride was twitching uneasily and its head swiveled back and forth as if trying to figure out in what direction the danger was, and which way to run. Kadin pulled tightly on the reigns ready to hold the Stagon back if it were to bolt.
         “It looks like it is coming closer.” Sir Gaius stated he had stopped moving all together and was now staring at the strange object in the distance.
         It was becoming bigger and more distinct, long thin on either side of a larger area in between. Now they saw that the creature was not only moving towards them but it was also moving up and down. “A bird?”
         “A Phenix, fire magic by the looks of it.” Sir Gaius stated nodding.
         “What will happen if...”
         “You don’t want to find out.” Sir Gaius stated trying to get his stagon to move.
         Neither of the riders knew which instinct the mounts were pulling from, whether from their dragon ancestors to blend in to the area around them or the stag who believed if one stood still one could not be seen. The men had dismounted trying without success to get their rides to move. They could feel the heat now as the Phenix approached; and neither wanted to experience the legendary creature any closer then they already were. Sir Gaius noticed that the fog was thinning as the Phenix flew near they could see more of its shape, a giant bird of prey, fire and smoke surrounding its body in almost impenetrable skin. It was very rare to see a Phenix, they were just folktales in the north.
         The fog suddenly cleared around them, green grass plains as far as the eye could see were revealed. Above them the fog and clouds parted to show the sun peaking over the horizon, and just for an instant the two men caught a glimpse of the Phenix as it flew over them. As suddenly as the creature and its affects had appeared, they were gone. Soon the two men were surrounded by fog again and even more conscious of the land around them especially the creatures they may encounter. They were more determined then ever to make it to their destination that day so they could leave the strange land behind as quickly as possible.
&&&&

         Gaius and Kadin rode in silence, they were unsure of how close they were to there destination. Gaius’s stagon suddenly stopped and whinnied breathing heavily out of her nostrils. An answering noise came from somewhere beyond their sight in the mists. The fog prevented them from knowing how far away the creature was but they prepared for hostility by unsheathing their weapons.
         “We are men of Brightmount and we mean you no harm.” Kadin stated his voice carrying through the fog.
         “You are trespassing on the land of the Southern Centaur Clan.” A voice came from their right. They did not know if they were surrounded by a group or if they had just met a lone sentry. They waited slowly they saw a shadow coming towards them from their right.
         As distinctive in shape as the Phenix, a Centaur walked towards them clearing the fog away as she came forward. Kadin noticed that she was limping and that their was something wrong with her left arm. As the fog cleared they could see her clothing was ripped and her body was bloody with wounds of varying sizes.
         “What are you doing on my people’s land?” She asked trying to sound stronger then her body portrayed.
         Both men knew little of the culture of the centaurs of the southern wild plains.
         “I am Sir Gaius and this is my companion Sir Kadin. Who attacked you child? Do you need help?” Gaius answered the Centaur’s question with questions of his own.
         The Centaur stared at the men in disbelief as if what Gaius had asked was incredibly rude. Then her face softened just a little as she looked at their clothes and the symbol on their armor and cloak realizing that they were northerners, from Brightmount’s Trade district. She understood and forgave their ignorance. “All you need to know is that you are in danger if you stay on this road much longer. ”
         “We are in danger? From what? Whatever chewed you up and spit you out?” Gaius laughed not believing her. He could not understand why she would think that two armed men would have trouble where a young unarmed injured female would not.
         “We have a message for the head of the Dawn Hatchery.” Kadin looked at Gaius hoping he was not going to say anything else. The centaur was their best hope for them to discover how close they were to their destination and Kadin did not want to loose the opportunity because of Gaius’s rude behavior.
         “You two are going to the Hatchery?” The centaur asked surprised. She paused for just a moment and then spoke again, “What are the words etched into the arch way to the Castle in Brightmount.”
         Gaius was about to open his mouth to demand why she would question them, when Kadin spoke first. “There is nothing written because there is no archway.”
         The centaur nodded content with the answer Kadin had given. “My name is Ka’ren, I will take you the quickest route I know. We must make haste the Hatchery is in danger and we must warn them before my enemies find us.”
         “Should we not care for you first?” Kadin asked worried about the bleeding wound from her left hind leg.
         “We do not have time to linger here licking wounds. Come with me, time is short before they close the barrier to the Hatchery completely.” Ka’ren explained turning in the direction that she had come. She moved fast. The two riders tried to keep up as the fog kept revealing and hiding her presence. It was not long until Kadin noticed she was slowing down. Kadin observed that she was bleeding steadily making a trail for anyone to follow.
         “Ka’ren you are leaving a...”
         “We are here.” Ka’ren stated her voice was not as strong as it had been before and she was heavily leaning on only three feet her left hind foot was not able to hold her weight. “You have magic. A rock?”
         “Yes but it...”
         “May I see it?” She asked.
         Kadin retrieved the rune rock from his pocket and handed it to her. She walked up to what looked like the rest of the fog that surrounded them. However as they watched her she placed her hands flat on something, as if there was a barrier in front of her invisible to the naked eye. She pressed the rune rock to turn it on and it began to glow. Kadin tried to pay attention to what she did to the rock but she was too quick. It looked like she had formed her own spell from the runes that the rock provided for her. Kadin swore he would ask, but at the moment he watched as a barrier he didn’t know was in front of him disappear.
         In front of them lay a dirt packed road that led up a hill to a stone and wood wall and gate. Ka’ren walked through, Kadin and Gaius rode in afterwards. Kadin felt the magic barrier close behind him, he looked behind him and saw only white mists. The magic barrier that surrounded and protected the Hatchery also prevented the heavy fog and mists from forming close to the wall that surrounded the Hatchery.          The sun could be seen in the sky it was in the east. Both soldiers appreciated the natural light of the sun. As they rode up the hill they could see a building above the wall. It was a very large structure with wide open areas on the top for creatures with wings that resided in the Wild Plains to fly in and out of. At the moment smoke billowed from a large patch of scorched roof.
         "Have they been attacked?" Kadin asked pointing to the billowing smoke.
         "No the barrier would not have been opened if they were. It must be one of their guests, perhaps a dragon got too excited." Ka’ren stated.
         "Dragons?" Kadin asked, suddenly excited for the prospect of seeing more legendary creatures, that he had been told were just made up when he was younger.
         As they rode up to the gate Ka’ren was limping, it was obvious that she would not make it much further without assistance. Kadin dismounted his Stagon, handed the reigns to a not-to-happy Gaius and walked over to let Ka’ren lean on his body. If she had been more conscious of the action she would have rejected, as it was she was grateful for his strength.
         “Halt and state your business.” A soldier at the top of the gate yelled down at them before they made it much further up the hill.
         “Lowell. It is Ka’ren with two messengers of Brightmount, we need to enter.” Ka’ren stated weakly.
         “lil’Ren?” The man’s voice asked confused. He disappeared from the top of the gate. They heard the creaking of gears and slowly the gate opened large enough to permit one dualped through. He was different then what the two soldiers expected. The gatekeeper was tall, thin and had two horns coming out of the top of his head that curled up into points about three inches above his forehead. His ears were hidden under a thick shortly cut mane of dark blue hair. He looked worriedly at Ka’ren.
         “You must close the barrier. You need to prepare for an attack.” Ka’ren stated when Lowell was near, she then succumbed to her wounds and blacked out.
The two messengers stood outside the gate of the Hatchery, their destination, awaiting the gate keeper to allow them entrance.
© Copyright 2020 C.M. Bell (bellrevue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2222395-The-Hatchery