*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2225958-Course-102-Writing-Show-vs-Tell
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2225958
Assignment 1 - Adoration
Adam Wright kind of liked showing Jessie Brady around Endurance, though the woman seemed dead set on making it work at it. “Let’s go to the boutique.”

When she hesitated, Adam reached out, grabbed her hand, and pulled her across the street. He became mindful of his steps, not wanting her to have to run to keep up. As they approached the door, he looked over his shoulder to see her staring in awe at the gowns on display in the front window. She dropped his hand, and moved to the glass, almost mesmerized by the red dress in the window. Adam never understood a woman’s fascination with clothing but could see by the sparkle in those brown eyes that he’d made the right call.

“Why don’t we go inside?”

She tore her gaze from the gown, the blush in her cheeks deepening on her pretty face. Adam opened the door and waited for her to go inside. As soon as they crossed the threshold, Jill spotted them. She moved quickly from around the counter, a bright smile on her face.

“Jessie. It’s about time you stopped by to check the place out,” Jill said, throwing her arms around Jessie for a brief hug.

“It’s been busy around the ranch. I’m working at Brady Construction now, so I’m sure you’ll see me around.” Jessie kept her attention on Jill, her eyes darting over the racks of colorful clothing.

“Ah, that explains it.” Jill turned her attention to Adam, a coy smile on her face, excitement flickering in her brown eyes.

He stared at her, waiting for the smart remark he knew would come. When she continued to stall, waiting him out, he had to ask. “Explains what?”

The smile grew across her face. She shifted her eyes from Adam to Jessie and back again. “I thought maybe the two of you were together, like dating or something.”

“Jill,” Jessie gasped. Adam watched as her jaw dropped and that blush he liked made her face turn beet red.

“I know the perfect guy for you. You should agree to go out on a blind date with Mike and me,” Jill said, batting her eyes.

“Well, Jessie, this is something you’ll have to get used to. Jill tends to be… what’s the word I’m looking for, oh yeah, blunt,” Adam said, though he hated the idea of her dating.

Jessie laughed, the sweet sound lighting up her dark eyes. She looked at him, met his heavy gaze, and kept right on smiling. “Is that what you call it?”

Jill nudged her in the side. “Don’t listen to him. I am a great friend. I gave you my number and you never called.”

Jessie shrugged, moved past her and over to the dress rack. Adam watched as she headed straight for the flashy dress she spied through the window.

“I think she likes the red one,” Adam told Jill.

“I’m not surprised, it’s our best seller. She’ll look fab in it too with her dark hair and light complexion.” Jill walked away from Adam and stood beside Jessie. “You should try it on.”

Jessie shook her head. “I’m on the clock, maybe another time.”

“It’s OK, Jessie, go ahead,” Adam urged. He wanted to get a look at her in that hot dress.

She looked from Adam to Jill and back again. He nodded at her. She grabbed her size off the rack and Jill led her to the changing room. He moved further into the store, hoping to catch that glimpse he had to have. Time ticked by at a snail’s pace. Adam was beginning to think that she would never let him have a peek at what she looked like in that dress. All he knew was that he had to see her in it. Adam took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment.

“That looks fantastic. Didn’t I tell you it would?” Jill said.
Adam opened his eyes, daring to catch a glimpse. Jill grabbed Jessie’s hands and pulled her out of the dressing room onto the floor of the boutique, leading her toward the full-length mirror.
Adam inched closer for a better look and his breath caught. His eyes widened as he stared at Jessie, an absolute beauty in that silky red dress.

“I don’t know,” Jessie said, turning in a circle in front of the mirror before her eyes clashed with his and she froze.

Adam’s lips parted; his mind raced as he fought for the right words. The last thing he wanted to do was show her too much attention and scare her off. They had to work together. “You look very pretty,” he muttered.

Jessie rushed back into the dressing room. Adam closed his eyes for a moment, cementing the image of her spinning in a circle in the fiery red dress into his mind. She looked stunning. Beautiful even. She robbed him of breath. So different from her usual jeans and blouse he had only ever seen her in. The intense feelings for this woman were growing. The more he learned about her, the more he liked. Was it just desire for something new? Adam shook his head, squashing that thought. He knew better. The fact is, he was attracted to her. Who wouldn’t be?

He needed to be near her. Adam walked toward the dressing rooms and stood to wait for her.

Jessie emerged, her cheeks pink, which made him smile. If that was not telling, he didn’t know what was.

“I’m just going to pay for this,” she said.

He followed her toward the front of the clothing store his eyes glued to her every move. A slow fire rose to his skin and he hoped she would not notice.

Not wanting to be nosy, he cleared his throat.

“I’ll wait for you outside.” Adam headed toward the door needing an escape. Once outside he breathed a sigh of relief. All he had to do now as get his bearings, and finish out the workday, though he had no idea how to accomplish that when he would be working beside Jessie all day, with the knowledge of how sexy she looked in that red dress.

WC:1033







© Copyright 2020 Purple is House Florent (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2225958-Course-102-Writing-Show-vs-Tell