*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2228988-The-Tower
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2228988
Flash Fiction
The Tower

As I came over the hill I could see the tower on the horizon.

At first I was sure it meant I was in the wrong place and I quickly checked my calculations, but no. I was exactly where I was supposed to be, there just had never been a tower there before.

It was tall, and brilliant white against the deep blue of the sky beyond. It looked as if it was made of stone, smooth, glistening in the afternoon sun. I automatically turned toward it, even though I was intending to go north.

Catching myself, I started to turn back, but something seemed to call me forward to that tower. It was music. Now I could feel the compulsion pulling me, as if I no longer had free will. The tower was getting higher, it was on top of something long and white. As I moved toward it, almost in a dreamlike state, it also moved toward me.

Cresting the next small hill, I saw it in its full glory. The tower, atop a large white truck, playing that happy, jingly music. My heart exploded in joy as I reached in my pocket and touched the dollars that I hoped were still there.

The ice cream truck was finally back!!

© Copyright 2020 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2228988-The-Tower