*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230628-The-Grace-of-God
by MaciM
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2230628
Resilience and Perseverance
“...Mum, how can you tell if the life you are living, is the one you were ordained to live?”, asked Stellah.

Her mother stared at her long and hard, wondering what the appropriate answer would be. Were there storms of life that the Lord, in His mercy, had diverted from her? Were the happenings in her life coincidences or were they pre-ordained? Is there anything she would have changed, given a chance?

Her childhood dreams for the most part, had materialized, and for that she was very thankful. As a little girl, Marlene had allowed herself to dream without limits. She saw herself graduate from college, a well-paying job, and a loving husband to share her joys with, plus the children that they would have been blessed with.

Marlene was an A-student, by all standards. She was the kind of student that all the other students at school approached whenever they were stuck; whichever subject. Teachers in the school had a special liking to Marlene, as she was not only a bright student, but had excellent interpersonal and leadership skills. She was a darling of everyone, from primary school all the way to the university. She was a likeable person, social but also knew how to set boundaries.

After completing her high school education she volunteered to teach sunday school and conduct bible studies at her local church. This she continued during school holidays after she joined the university. In one of the bible study groups that she facilitated weekly, there was an equally God-fearing, hardworking and handsome young man, Kyle, who took an interest in everything that Marlene did. He would encourage her to stay on track, as her future was undoubtedly bright. They studied the bible together, did their academic studies together. It is no wonder that the two became extremely fond of each other, and the two youngsters found a lot of joy and fulfilment in each other’s company, as friends.

One day, as the two were walking home from church Marlene experienced some lightheadedness. Kyle supported her and she sat by the roadside. After a few minutes, she felt better and walked the rest of the way home. She did not pay much attention to that episode, as she assumed she was probably fatigued and needed some rest. Neither of the two youngsters mentioned the episode to Marlene’s parents, as they sat down for dinner.

A week later, Marlene reported back to college for a new semester. Her fainting spells started, then severe headaches would follow. She would go to the college infirmary, get painkillers and with that the headaches would subside for a while, only to return unbearably painful. She was no longer able to keep up with her classes, yet she didn’t want to alarm her parents. By the end of the semester, not only were her grades negatively affected, but also her physical appearance. She was thin and pale; no longer the same jolly and energetic girl that she once was. She could hardly hold a conversation without gasping for air and eventually passing out.

Immediately she got back home, her parents noticed something was very wrong with their daughter, and they immediately called in their family doctor. He immediately recommended that she checks into the hospital for further investigations.

Kyle received the disturbing news of her best friend’s health status. On his way to the hospital where Marlene was admitted, he reasoned that he would have to suspend his studies until such a time that his dearest friend was back on her feet again. He remained by her side all the while, as she underwent the recommended tests. A blood clot in her brain was finally found. She was immediately prepared for surgery, which was a success. Marlene was wheeled back to her room to begin her recovery process. Kyle never left her side even as she remained unconscious for the next couple of days.

The healing process was slow and agonizing, but with Kyle by her side, Marlene endured the pain. The two youngsters had never really considered how much they meant to each other, until this incident. Kyle would have gladly switched places with Marlene to spare her from so much pain. Their families and friends recognized the bond between Kyle and Marlene, no one had spoken about it though. But now, seated on her hospital bed, holding her frail hands into his strong ones, all that Kyle wanted was to remove Marlene’s pain. He lowered himself and allowed his lips to touch Marlene’s, ever so lightly. He knew without a shadow of a doubt, that Marlene was his soulmate. Immediately his lips touched hers, her eyes opened, albeit weakly. Kyle’s was the first face she saw and she couldn't have been happier. She felt the same way he did, undoubtedly.

He had mobilized the bible study group to pray round-the-clock for Marlene, his family and Marlene’s family had also been very supportive. A few days later she was discharged from hospital. Although she had to miss the next semester, and the next, she was grateful to be alive, she was grateful for her family, and most especially she was grateful for Kyle. She felt a tag in her heart every time she was around Kyle. She never imagined that she was capable of loving someone, as much as she loved Kyle.

When Kyle told her parents of his intention to marry Marlene, it did not come as a surprise. They had watched the love between them grow and blossom. They had watched as the two served in their different capacities in church, and they couldn’t have asked for a better daughter in law. Marlene’s parents were equally ecstatic about the union of the two lovebirds.

They got married the following year, both went back to finish their degrees and graduated the same time. The day of their graduation, their only child, Stellah was conceived. As she grew older Stellah's grandma told her about the health-scare that her mum experienced. None of them had thought that she would pull through, but they continued praying for her, until she had totally recovered. This made Stellah even more grateful to God for sparing her mom’s life, for giving her a loving dad like Kyle, and two sets of amazing grandparents.

“...Jesus took the life that I deserved, and He gave me the life that I didn’t deserve … it is called the Grace of God” Marlene answered her daughter, Stellah. The two embraced each other, and knew never to take life, love, family and friends for granted, they are a special gift from God.
© Copyright 2020 MaciM (macim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230628-The-Grace-of-God