*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2233525-Flash-Fiction-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Runei
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2233525
Don't let them in!
Abby lifted her head from her pillow and took a sobbing breath. Her room was blurry through the tears in her eyes. She was supposed to be in school, but after what Jeffrey had said to her, she felt her life come apart and had went straight home. She knew she needed to get over him, that it was over, but at the moment it all looked so bleak that she had no idea how. Life goes on. There's plenty of boys out there. She could almost hear her mother's berating voice.
It wasn't like it was the first time. She vaguely remembered how it had been with Daniel, and she had gotten over it then, hadn't she? But this was so much different - Jeffrey was something different. Oh god her heart felt like bursting. She buried her face in the pillow again.
For a time she cried and when the tears ran out and her body stopped shaking she sat up. The world had taken on a greyish tone, she thought, while taking one last shuddering breath. How come she let boys define her inner life so much? Wasn't she supposed to be a strong and independent woman? She felt the heat of a fire inside, and a strange calmness came over her.
She knew what she had to do. Who she had to be.
"Don't let them in," she said aloud to herself, "Don't ever let them in."
© Copyright 2020 Runei (ringlev at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2233525-Flash-Fiction-3