*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234788-Life-of-the-Despised
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2234788
Bacteria is swabbed from the outside of the ISS. Alien, which will save our planet from us
There was a knock at the door of Dr Bradley Charles’ office.

”Come in.”

Dr Charles’ assistant, Jim Rodgers, was there to discuss the latest results.

“Dr Charles, it’s mutated again.”

“That’s impossible.”

It wasn't mistrust of his assistant’s analysis, but fear that made him question the results. Then, as he went over the data from the report on his monitor, he realized for himself that the impossible had happened, and the bacteria had mutated in the space of a few days. Undeniably confirming it as the most dangerous organism he, or any other scientist, had ever had to contain within a laboratory. Dr Charles knew if it were to escape before they had something to control it, the result would be catastrophic for all mankind.

The bacteria had arrived in his research facility only a few months before and had gone through many mutations since. Each time they threw something new at it, the bacteria absorbed the agent, then changed its own molecular structure, so the next time it was exposed, no bacteria died as a result.

Dr Charles continued to stare at the screen, and a look of concern spread across his face.”If this were to fall into the wrong hands, Jim, there’d be no stopping it."

*******


Routine swabs taken from the outer surface of the ISS had found a new type of bacteria, leading to speculation it could be extraterrestrial.

At the White House, senior security adviser to President Bradbury, Peter Ngu, had prepared his report and presented what he knew about the bacteria to a meeting of top brass.

”It’s not from Earth gentlemen, that I can confirm...and it’s tough.”

President Bradbury asked, “Where is it being stored?”

”Dr Bradley Charles’ lab in Utah, Mr President. It’s one of the best research facilities in the country...very secure.”

The President continued,” From preliminary test results, I’m glad to hear that. Keep me informed on any progress. When they come up with something that can kill it, I want to know immediately.”

“Colonel Peters!” The President addressed one of the uniformed men, who by this stage, were quietly discussing among themselves what they thought should be done with the visitor from outer space.

“Yes, Mr President.”

“We need to discuss what military applications this discovery may have.”

“Mr President, until we have the answer to what it is, and how to control it, it’s not an agent we can use.”

“Yes, yes,” The Commander and Chief barked impatiently, “but once we have that...an antidote...a cure...”

His words trailed off into his own thoughts for what to do with such an organism. To release the agent on their ever-growing enemies might be something he would consider. If only those white jackets would hurry up and find a way.

*******


“It’s in Utah, John. We have men ready to take the facility, armed and prepared to die for the cause.”

The cause being the ultimate sacrifice...the pure hatred of our species. Seeing human beings as the problem, and their mission as the cure...to cleanse the Earth of the human disease.

*******


Dr Charles heard a loud explosion, and through his window, saw smoke billowing from the guardhouse gates. His fear that there might have been an accident in one of the labs was replaced by a new thought...from what would happen if the bacteria accidentally escaped before a cure was found, to what if it was stolen by terrorists and held to ransom, or sold to the highest bidder.

He made his way out of his office towards the exit, as alarms sounded loudly throughout the facility. As he rounded a corner, the doctor was confronted by men wearing fatigues and carrying assault rifles, demanding to be taken to the lab which contained ‘the answer’.

Dr Charles’ protested,” But, there’s no cure, we will all be dead in days if exposed.”

He didn’t know it yet, but they were all to be martyrs, carrying to the world the answer to Mother Earth’s problem. Humankind wiped out by an alien traveller, delivered by those who see us as the problem and are willing to sacrifice the entire human species to give her a solution.

© Copyright 2020 Dr Gonzo (neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234788-Life-of-the-Despised