*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2235228-I-Love-You-No-Matter-What---Ch-21-30
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Family · #2235228
A novel of a high school girl facing emotional abandonment, tragedy, love and forgiveness.

I Love You No Matter What

Chapter Twenty-One

Lisa awoke before the alarm. She stretched her arms above her head. Soreness resonated through every muscle. Two days had passed since their Saturday ski outing, and Jack had been right; skiing had caused her to use muscles she hadn't used in a long time, and it seemed to be more noticeable on the second day rather than the first. Before getting ready for school, she reached for her phone to send Jack an instant message. He wouldn't be getting up for another twenty minutes, but the message would be waiting for him when he awoke: "Happy Valentine's Day, my love."

She wanted to be the first one to acknowledge the special occasion and let Jack know how much she cared. He had been a godsend at a time when she'd needed it most. He had accepted her without reservation, even after she had laid her heart open and shared the most painful parts of her past. Valentine's Day was for love, and Lisa had found love--an accepting and nonjudgmental love rooted in trust and understanding. A love for a lifetime. Yes, Lisa could see this being for a lifetime.

She hopped out of bed and went straight to the closet. Her attire for the day had been decided several weeks ago. She removed the tight black jeans and red blouse from the hanger and laid it on the bed. She grabbed the other accessories that she needed to make her ensemble complete. Today was a special day, and she wanted to look good for Jack.

No more than two minutes after she sent her text, Jack replied, "If the power of cupid's arrow represents the love in my heart for you, then it feels like he shot me a dozen times."

Jack's caring nature and kindness was a dose of everything that was right in Lisa's life. His message touched her heart. She held her phone up and said, "Call Jack."

"Happy Valentine's Day," he said, as he answered.

"Happy Valentine's Day," she repeated. "What are you doing up before your alarm?"

"Couldn't sleep. I guess I'm looking forward to this day too much."

"You are?" she said, excited that they both recognized how special the occasion was.

"Of course I am," he said, tucking his cell phone under his chin while he pulled on a pair of sweatpants. "What do you have planned?"

Lisa sighed, feeling as if Jack was trying to trick her. "You know it's a surprise."

"I like surprises. Especially when I know what they are."

"Then they're not surprises, Jack."

"Oh, really?" he replied, trying to sound surprised by her revelation. He looked in the mirror and brushed his hair with his fingers. "I hope you're not disappointed, but I can't meet you for lunch today."

Lisa groaned. "Jack," she pleaded, "it's Valentine's Day."

"I know, but I also have a surprise, and I need to take care of it during our lunch break. Please understand."

"It's okay. I just had to sulk a little."

"I didn't know the girl I loved sulked," he said sarcastically.

"Only when I don't get my way," she teased.

"So that explains why I've never known you to sulk." Jack covered the phone with his hand so Lisa wouldn't hear him chuckle.

Lisa faked indignation. "Very funny, Jack."

"Well I thought so," he said boldly. Jack separated the wooden blinds with his free hand and peered out into the darkness. The snow was illuminated by the full moon. "Lisa," he said, "are you near a window?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Look at the full moon."Lisa went to the window, and the white glow was apparent. "It's beautiful."

"As a kid, did you ever wish upon a star?"

"Of course. Who hasn't?"

Jack pulled on the cord to open his blinds all the way. "I'm going to make a Valentine's Day wish upon the moon while we're both looking at it."

"That sounds a little romantic," Lisa replied. She gazed at the moon and knowing Jack was looking at it precisely at the same time made her feel as if they were together.

"On this day, I pledge my love to the prettiest girl in all of Maple Creek. She has captivated my heart, and I wish nothing but happiness and good things for her. Most of all, I wish for our love to continue to bloom and hope we'll create our own happy-ever-after story."

She gushed. "You are a romantic, Jack. That was very beautiful, and I appreciate it more than you know."

"You can't even begin to know how you have made a difference in my life." Jack sat down on his bed. "I love you, Lisa Taylor."

Lisa was moved. Tears formed in her eyes. It was Jack who had made the difference in her life. That was the way she saw it. "I love you too," she said, choking back her tears of happiness. "You have given me something I have never known and never knew could exist. My heart is yours."

He spoke softly. "Meet you outside your first class this morning?" he asked, even though that was their ritual.

"You'd better," she said, wiping tears from her cheeks.

Lisa showered and got ready for school. She was excited about dressing up and looking good for Jack. She had made dinner reservations at a nice restaurant over a month ago, but had kept it a surprise. She hoped he would like it.

He was there to greet her as she came down the hall. Jack didn't notice the heads she was turning because he was completely focused on how stunning she looked. Lisa approached, sensing his approval. "What do you think?"

"I'm practically speechless. You look stunning." He couldn't take his eyes off her, nor did he want to.

"I told you I had a special day planned for you."

"And I take it looking that hot is part of it," he said, pulling at the neck of his shirt as if he were letting the heat she was generating escape.

"That's part of it," she confirmed. "I want to look good for my beau."

"I don't know if I want you parading the halls looking that good." Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of the first bell. "I probably need to let you go," Lisa said, moving in closer for a kiss.

Jack leaned in and kissed her. "I don't want to let you go." He kissed her one more time and walked backwards away from her, taking in her beauty one more time. Before she disappeared through the door of her class, he hollered, "Remember, I won't be around for lunch." "I remember," she said, wishing it weren't true.

The morning went quickly, and Jack hurried out to his Bronco when the bell signaled his lunch period. He quickly headed downtown to Ray's Music Shop. Once inside, he went straight to the counter. A guy in his sixties with a graying ponytail recognized Jack. "Is today the day?" he asked, noticing that Jack seemed to be on a mission.

"Today's the day, Ray. I'll take the Martin acoustic guitar we've been talking about. I think you convinced me it's the right one." Jack had gotten to know Ray through the half a dozen or so visits he had made in search of the right guitar. Ray had thoroughly educated him on the differences between all the brands he carried. He had given him his personal recommendations, and Jack had narrowed it to his present choice.

"She's going to love it, man. I think you're making the right choice." Ray reached up and removed the guitar from where it hung on display behind the counter. "You know," he said, "I got to see her play a couple of weeks ago. That girl's incredible, man. I couldn't play half that good when I was her age. And her voice. Remarkable." Ray punched the buttons on the register and totaled Jack's purchase. "With the discount I told you I would give you, it comes to five hundred and seventy-eight dollars."

Jack pulled six one-hundred-dollar bills from his billfold and laid them on the counter while Ray placed the guitar in a hard case. Jack's photography work had been lucrative enough to put aside a couple thousand dollars. Now he wanted to use some of that money for this special gift.

Ray gave Jack his change. "She's gonna love you, man. You'll be one special dude in her eyes."

"I already am," Jack said confidently. Jack took the guitar from Ray and shook his hand. "You've been awesome, and I can't thank you enough."

"Let me know when she's going to be playing that Martin, and I'll be there."

"You're on." Jack bid Ray goodbye, and a special joy resonated through his body as he carried the guitar in his hand. It was something he had been planning for a couple of months. Now that the moment was here, he tried to imagine how surprised Lisa would be.

Chapter Twenty-Two

Lisa sat in the cafeteria, having lunch with some of her friends from the choir. Though she missed being with Jack for lunch, it was a pleasant change to be with friends who she didn't regularly get to see outside of class. They had all seen her play a time or two at Lucinda's and were very supportive of her success.

As the lunch period wound down, they left individually until Lisa was the only one remaining. She didn't have anywhere to be, and she thought she might enjoy the solitude. It lasted only momentarily before Sean spotted her from across the cafeteria and made his way over to her table. "Where's lover boy?"

Lisa had never had a negative opinion of Sean until a couple days ago on the mountain when she'd gotten a better sense of who he really was. His "lover boy" comment was only adding to that negative opinion. "What do you want, Sean?" she said somewhat indignantly.

"Mind if I sit down?" he said, as he took a seat at the table.

"Yes, I do. I'm getting ready to leave."

"You are feisty!" he stated firmly. "The other day while on the chairlift and now. It just makes me more attracted to you."

The thought of Sean being attracted to her was nauseating. "You could have gone a lifetime without sharing that information," Lisa said callously.

"Oh and for the record, I don't wear my mother's underwear," he said, smiling.

Apparently there was no mistaking that he had heard her. She wasn't embarrassed by the comment, but she definitely wished she had said something a little more profound. "You never know," Lisa responded, not sure what to say.

"I can prove it to you," he said with a dark grin.

Lisa stood up. "I've got to go." She grabbed her tray, but as she went to lift it, Sean clenched her wrist with his hand.

"I hear you like black pickup trucks." The way he said it was sinister.

Lisa froze. Was this just a random comment, or did he know something? She could feel her body tense. Her breathing became more rapid. He had a look in his eye that suggested there was more.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I think you know what it means."

Lisa didn't like where the conversation was going. "Let go of my wrist!" she demanded.

He let go and sat back in his chair. Lisa turned her back and walked away, but not before Sean fired one more shot. "You don't think I know about you and that guy with the black pickup?"

She stopped. His comment felt like a thousand knives piercing her soul. Her demons had followed her to Maple Creek. But how? Her hands trembled, and the tray rattled. Panic and fear consumed her, but she turned and went back to confront Sean. "What are you telling me?"

"I think you know," he said through a wry smile.

Lisa stared at him. Her secret was no longer a secret, and she could feel her legs wobbling and her head throbbing.

"You should be asking lover boy these questions, not me. He's the one that told me."

"Jack?" she stated, mortified by his response.

"Looks like he can't keep a secret. You'd be better off with me. Whadda ya say?"

The anger and hurt that raced through Lisa was inconsequential to Sean. His selfish and repugnant demeanor was insulting to her, and she reacted by dumping the tray and all its contents squarely on his lap. The sound of breaking glass and kitchen utensils hitting the floor drew the attention of every person still in the cafeteria.

Lisa stormed off, leaving Sean covered in her mostly untouched spaghetti. Some students were aghast, and some cheered as they watched their star quarterback suffer humiliation at the hands of a fellow student--a female student, more appropriately.

She left the building quickly, not wanting other students to see her upset. She sought refuge in her vehicle. She closed and locked the doors, buried her head in the steering wheel, and wept uncontrollably. In a matter of minutes, she had gone from the luckiest girl on earth to the heartache that she was accustomed to. Why did Jack do this? Where was the trust? Why was life so unfair?

Questions, not answers, rained down on her like an unexpected hailstorm. She felt their sting, and she didn't want to be reminded of that pain. Again, she asked herself, Why would Jack do this? Had she misjudged his character? She searched her mind, looking for telltale signs she should have recognized, except that her ability to concentrate was skewed. The barrage of thoughts and unanswered questions kept her off balance. The tears kept coming.

Lisa turned the key in the ignition. She needed to get away from here. Perhaps she needed to take a drive in the mountains. She backed out and nearly hit a student who was walking in the parking lot, which added to her woes. It confirmed that her world was falling apart.

She headed through town, driving on autopilot. Jack was passing in the other direction and noticed Lisa's vehicle. He thought it was strange to see her leaving school at that hour, and he wondered if maybe something was wrong. He pulled onto the shoulder of the road and waited for a couple cars to pass before he made a U-turn to try to catch her.

He grabbed his cell phone: "Call Lisa." The phone rang several times before going to voice mail. Jack hung up and continued his pursuit with a few cars in between them. He thought maybe she was headed home until he saw her pass the turn and continue on the highway leading over the mountain pass. Where was she going? Did this have something to do with the surprise she had for him? It didn't make sense.

He tried calling again, but there was no answer. Now Jack was worried. He was able to keep her in his sights, and when the opportunity presented itself, he would try passing her. Fifteen minutes had passed when Jack saw her make a left-hand turn. She was taking the road he had taken her on when they had done her photo shoot. But why?

The road was mostly snow-packed, but it appeared to Jack that she had probably put her vehicle in four-wheel drive when she'd exited the highway. Jack waited for a long line of cars, most with ski racks, to pass as they headed toward town before he was able to turn off the highway. She was nowhere in sight, but this was a dead-end road, so there was only one place to go.

Now that Jack knew where she was headed, he again wondered why. If this was part of her Valentine's Day surprise, it didn't make sense. She had never mentioned anything about needing to miss any of her afternoon classes. Surprise or no surprise, he was confident that Lisa would have mentioned it. That's what concerned him most.

In the distance, Jack could see Lisa's vehicle stopped at the end of the road. She had the driver's door open and was getting out as he approached. He pulled up alongside her vehicle on the right. "Lisa," he called, as he opened his door. He heard a loud, agonizing scream. He ran around her vehicle. She had fallen to her knees in the snow and was now sitting on the back of her legs. "What's wrong, Lisa?" he shouted, running toward her.

She turned and looked at him. He could tell she had been crying. "Why, Jack? What did I do to deserve this?" He didn't understand what she was saying. He helped her to her feet and held onto her by the backs of her arms. "I trusted you," she said, desperately. "Not in a million years, not ever, did I think you would violate my trust." She pounded her fists into his chest, but her strength was drained by emotional fatigue.

Jack couldn't understand why she was so distraught. "Lisa, what are you talking about?" he asked, with a kind firmness in his voice.

"You know what I'm talking about," she hissed, between heaving gasps of air.

"I swear I . . ."

"Sean Clayton," she interrupted. "You told him, didn't you?" Her anger was evident in her escalated tone.

It was apparent Sean had exposed him. Jack's desperation to protect Lisa by appealing to Sean through honesty had backfired. He had always known that it was a risk, but he'd figured it to be a calculated one. He'd gambled and lost, and now their world seemed to hang in the balance. "Let me explain, babe," he pleaded.

"Did you? That's all I want to know, Jack. Did you tell him?" Her eyes locked onto his as she waited to hear the answer she already knew in her heart. She just wanted to hear Jack say it. She wanted him to admit it.

Jack could tell Lisa was too agitated and emotionally distraught to give him the opportunity to explain. He needed to answer her question and give her time to process it, and then maybe he could explain.

He let go of her arms and, with downcast eyes, softly replied, "I did."

"How could you?" she cried. "I trusted you! I believed in you! I gave my heart to you!" She turned away from Jack and buried her face in her hands to weep. Once again, her life had taken a turn for the worse, and she had been denied the happiness she longed for--the happiness she felt she was due.

Jack turned to face her. He placed his hands on her arms just below the shoulders.

"Babe, don't cry. I never meant to hurt you. I truly love you, and I was trying to protect you from Sean."

Lisa pulled away. She looked at him, her eyes and cheeks red from crying. "You don't get it, Jack," she said heatedly. Her tears blurred her vision, and she squeezed her eyelids shut to force them from her eyes. She wiped across her eyes with the back of her hand. She tried to keep her emotions in check. "What makes you different from my father? What makes you different than the guy who deprived me of a normal existence? You were supposed to be the one that protects me, that I trust, that loves me unconditionally."

"But Lisa. . ."

"Except that's not the way it's turned out." She paused and caught her breath. Jack attempted to say something, but Lisa held her hand up, signaling that she wasn't finished. "You're supposed to be everything my father isn't, and I thought you were," she sighed, "but, sadly, I was wrong."

She turned to walk to her vehicle. She was getting cold, and the emotional outpouring had drained her.

"Where are you going?

"I can't do this anymore, Jack. I have to go."

He hurried after her. "You haven't heard my side yet," he said desperately.

She looked at Jack and shook her head. "There's nothing you can say that's going to erase the fact that you told Sean." She put her head down and continued toward her vehicle. She started it and backed up.

Jack walked along the reversing vehicle, pleading for Lisa to give him a chance to explain. He watched as she drove down the road, leaving him standing alone to wonder how he could make amends. How could he redeem himself with the girl he loved more than anything else in this world?

Jack felt nothing, but sadness as he drove down the mountain. He was lost, and he didn't know what to do next. What had started out as one of the best days of his life had collapsed under the weight of his stupidity. He replayed the hurt look on her face, and he felt an uncomfortable, burning anguish. What could he do?

He called her. Maybe she would hear him out on the phone. There was no answer--just the familiar voice mail message saying "This is Lisa. Please leave a message."

"Call me," he said, his voice quivering in desperation. "Please call me. Give me a chance to explain. I love you."

That's all Jack wanted--a chance to explain. He knew he was wrong, even though his intentions had never included hurting her. He went home and waited. One hour turned into seven. He called and left messages five more times. The worry and lack of communication exhausted him. He sprawled out on his bed and buried his face in his pillow. The kaleidoscope of memories they had shared over the past six months reeled through his thoughts: their photo shoot in the mountains, her first time skiing, and their first kiss. Oh yes, their first kiss . . . he would never forget that.

Jack grabbed his phone one more time to attempt a call. The text message sign appeared. Why hadn't he heard the familiar tone letting him know he'd received a message? His hands shook, and his pulse raced as he pulled up the text. "You hurt me, Jack. I can't believe what you did. Please, I just want to be alone. It's over!!!!"

Jack felt his world collapse as the phone tumbled from his hands.


Chapter Twenty-Three

-Five Years Later-

The massive stone-and-wooden-beam home sat on five beautifully manicured acres adjacent to the ski area. For the past ten days, the backyard had been a flurry of activity. A giant platform had been created, and two huge tents had been erected. The platform was adorned in blue and white orchids grouped on Roman-type pedestals of varying heights. A large trellis sat atop the platform and framed the mountain peaks opposite the ski area.

Jack adjusted the bow tie on his tuxedo. No matter how many times he gazed at the mountains of Maple Creek, he still marveled at their beauty. This had to be one of the most surreal and romantic places in Colorado to be married.

He looked out from the platform. There was a long white runner between the two sections of chairs and up two steps; it stopped just before the trellis. Tall aspen and pine trees shaded the seating area from the late afternoon sun. There were white bows tied at the backs of the matching white guest chairs. He marveled at the elegance he saw in every small detail.

Some guests had begun to arrive and were casually milling around, checking out the estate. Jack glanced at his watch. In less than two hours, he would be hearing, "You may kiss the bride" to celebratory cheering and applause. He was grateful that the weather had cooperated on this mid-July day.

"Hey, Jack, we need you!" he heard Luke, the best man, call out.

Jack looked in Luke's direction and noticed him standing near the atrium doors of the house. He was waving for Jack to come inside. Jack walked briskly from the platform, nodding and smiling at a few of the early arriving guests as he passed.

"What's up, Luke?" he asked, anticipating a potential problem.

"We're going to pull a little prank on Kevin, and we want you to shoot some video," he said. Luke looked around to make sure no one overheard him. He didn't want anyone tipping off the groom and spoiling their fun. "Give me a few minutes to round up the guys, and meet me downstairs in the game room."

Luke and Kevin had been best friends since grade school. They were a year older than Jack, and he had known them both since the second grade. They were born into families of influence and wealth, and, for that very reason, this was one of the biggest social events in town. Receiving an invitation to this Maple Creek event was tantamount to someone in London being asked to attend a royal wedding. Plenty of high-profile Maple Creek residents had marked their calendars when the announcement had been made.

Jack's work as a photographer had really blossomed, and he had moved on from doing weddings several years ago. But when the wedding planner asked him to be their photographer, it was an opportunity he didn't want to pass up.

Jack went to the game room and waited. He could hear Luke and the other groomsmen coming down the stairs. They all looked dignified in their white tuxedos and white shirts with blue orchid corsages. All accept one. Jack noticed one of the groomsmen holding up his pants. He was short in stature, and Jack didn't know him, but it was apparent that his pants were too long and too big.

Luke approached Jack and placed his arm around his shoulder. "Here's the plan. In a few minutes, Kevin is going to be down here, and we're supposed to help him get ready. Brian over here," he said, pointing to the guy with the pants problem, "has switched his tux pants with Kevin's. He's going to freak when he finds his pants are several inches too short, and you need to capture it all."

Jack smiled. He liked the good-natured fun the guys were having. "This is going to be good."

The groomsmen got into position as Kevin descended the stairs. The guy wearing Kevin's pants stood on the opposite side of the pool table to keep Kevin from noticing that something wasn't right. Luke quickly greeted Kevin as he approached. "Hey, we're going to help you get ready. Can't have you going out there not looking your best!"

"You think I can't dress myself? What I really need is a shot of whiskey to calm my nerves."

"We'll take care of that," Luke said, hustling Kevin into the nearby guest suite to change into his tux. Upon hearing "a shot of whiskey," one of the groomsmen went to the bar adjoining the game room and poured a shot for all of them, including Jack.

Jack went into the guest suite with Luke and Kevin. Kevin immediately noticed Jack and his camera. "Jack," he said cautiously, "you're not going to be taking any pictures that'll cause me any embarrassment, right?"

Luke interjected. "Since when has anything embarrassed you?"

"Good point."

Just to reassure you, Kevin," Jack chimed in, "I'm not going to be taking any pictures. Luke asked me to record it in video."

"Oh great," Kevin countered. "Now I've got to watch what I say."

"No, what you've got to do is get ready so we can see you throwing back that shot of whiskey in your tux," said Luke.

"Yeah, where is that shot?" Kevin called out, hoping someone in the other room would hear and come running with his anxiety medicine.

"Get your tux on first, and then we'll all do one together," Luke coaxed. Luke handed Kevin his tux shirt. He wore a light blue shirt with his white tux. He slipped it on, watching himself in the full length mirror as he secured all the buttons.

The other guys were milling around outside the door, waiting for the right moment to burst in on Kevin. They tried their best to act as if nothing was going on so they wouldn't raise any suspicions. Jack was anticipating Kevin putting on the pants just as much as the other guys. He wanted to make sure he had the best angle so that when the guys burst in, they didn't block his recording.

Kevin pulled on the cuffs of his shirt and took one last look in the mirror before undoing his pants. "You know, Jack," Kevin said, "I don't wear underwear."

Jack was momentarily flustered, not knowing how to react to this bombshell.

"Don't pay any attention to him," Luke responded. "He's messing with you."

"You're ruining my fun, Luke," Kevin snickered. He pushed his pants down to his ankles and removed each foot. He tossed them on the bed, and Luke inconspicuously handed him the short pair of pants. Kevin bent over and placed one leg in the opening, pulling the pants up enough to be able to place the other leg in. The others were now waiting in joyful anticipation as the moment neared.

Kevin placed the other leg in and, with one swoop, pulled the pants to his waist. His eyes widened in disbelief. "They gave me the wrong pants!" he shouted. "These pants are too short, and I don't think they will button." He shook his head as he stared into the mirror. This can't be happening." Kevin turned toward Luke in total disbelief. "What am I going to do now? This can't be happening," he repeated, the desperation apparent in his voice.

Luke fought back his laughter, but to no avail. The others came bursting through the doorway, their laughter causing Kevin to pause.

"What's going on?" Kevin insisted. "What's so funny?"

Jack captured Kevin's expressions, particularly when the guy wearing Kevin's pants entered the room. Kevin quickly put two and two together and knew he had been had. "Very funny," he said, a tinge of redness glossing his cheeks. "Very funny."

"If I'm not mistaken," Luke began, "I think I see a twinge of embarrassment on your face."

"It looks like embarrassment through my lens," Jack affirmed.

"Whatever," Kevin said.

The guy wearing Kevin's pants was just as relieved to exchange pants as Kevin was to get the right ones. They allowed Kevin to finish dressing, and all of them met at the bar for a shot.

Jack held the shot glass in his hand. He wasn't much of a drinker, and he didn't want the alcohol to affect what he had been hired to do. He could have declined the shot, but it was easier to just go along and be one of the guys.

Luke hoisted his glass, and the rest all followed suit. He looked directly at Kevin, preparing to give a toast. Jack set his shot glass down and rolled the video. He didn't want to miss this moment. "You've been my best friend since we were nine years old. We've been through good times and bad . . . mostly good though." There was a round of cheers. "You found a really good woman." More cheers. "And my wish for you is that you will always be a loving and devoted husband, a great father should you have children and . . ." Luke paused, and there was a heavy sense of anticipation for his closing remarks. "And if she ever decides to leave you, may she find her way into my arms."

There was raucous laughter, and Kevin lowered his eyebrows in a playful stare at Luke. They threw back their shots, and Luke gave Kevin a hug. "Today's your day," he said softly in Kevin's ear. "Make the most of it."

Jack finished shooting the video and then, thinking he could just leave his shot on the bar, turned to head upstairs. The guy who had poured the shots called to Jack, "Hey, you forgot your shot." He handed the shot glass to Jack, who, realizing he wasn't going to get out of it, threw back the whiskey. He suppressed the reflex to cough as the liquid burned the back of his throat, and he could feel it warming his insides on its way down.

Jack told Kevin he needed to get outside and get some pictures of the guests arriving. It wasn't really important, but he wanted to get out of there before they decided to do another shot. Besides, he wanted some fresh air and thought maybe he'd grab a bottled water to wash the taste of whiskey from his throat.

"I appreciate you being here, Jack," Kevin said, shaking his hand in a sincere gesture.

Jack took a stroll around the grounds, capturing the faces and moments that would create the memories of this occasion. He noticed all the elegantly dressed happy couples, and he couldn't help but focus on the sad reality of his being single. He thought of Lisa and often wondered how she was doing. He still carried a torch for her that had not been diminished by the years.

Jack had seen Karen the summer after they graduated, and she had told him that Lisa had returned home to Tennessee. At the time, she was working a couple of jobs and was living on her own. She didn't consider living under her father's roof a viable option. Jack had asked Karen to give her his best the next time she talked to her. Karen agreed she would.

That was the last time Jack saw Karen. A couple years later, he spent a lot of time traveling in support of his photography business. Jack was establishing himself as a reputable photographer. He had been to New York dozens of times and built a reputation in the fashion industry for his work with a number of models. He had also been successful with outdoor photography. Hiking and adventure magazines were the recipients of much of his work.

The work of Adams and Leibovitz had always been a source of inspiration for Jack, and this made it difficult for him to focus on one type of photography. If he had grown up in a large city, it would have been obvious: He would have followed the path of Leibovitz. But he hadn't. Growing up around the mountains had given him an appreciation for the beauty of nature, and he felt a sense of peace in the quiet solitude of his surroundings. Jack still remembered Lisa telling him to do both, and that's what he did. He was going to do what he liked, what moved him. He stayed true to his word.

Jack walked around to the front of the home. He saw a limousine in the driveway and another one coming up the drive. Apparently, some guests wanted to arrive in style. He raised his camera and snapped a few shots while waiting for the occupants to emerge from the limo. The driver came around and opened the door, and Jack was ready to capture the moment. As the first person emerged, he felt the vibration of his cell phone. He pulled the phone from his pocket while trying to snap some pictures. He looked at the number. It wasn't one of his contacts, but he recognized the New York area code.

"Hello," he said, trying to shoot pictures one handed.

"Is this Jack Evers?" said the deep voice on the other end.

"Yes, it is. Who's this?"

"This is Sid Weldon. I'm the president of marketing for Big Horn Records. Paul Highland spoke very highly of you."

As Jack's curiosity grew, his camera went down. "I know Paul," he said, wondering where the conversation was going.

"He said you've done a lot of fashion photography for him. Some studio and runway stuff."

"That's true."

"Let me get to the point, Jack. I want to hire you to go on tour as the photographer for one of our up-and-coming country artists. We want to chronicle the tour and use the pictures for an in-depth marketing blitz. The tour is four months long with some built-in three- to four-day breaks. From a financial standpoint, I think we can make it worth your while. What do you think?" Sid seemed to say all this without taking a breath.

It was a lot of information for Jack to digest. The biggest obstacle, as he saw it, was freeing up his schedule for four months. But depending on the breaks, maybe he could make it work. "Can you e-mail me the schedule?"

"Gladly, but I need a decision today. The tour starts in three days." "Did you say three days?" Jack said incredulously.

"Yeah. I know it's not much notice, but our regular photographer had to bail on us at the last minute. If you accept this gig and do a good job, it could lead to other things." Sid was pulling out all the stops.

Jack gave him his e-mail address, and Sid told him the schedule was on its way. "Call me back once you've looked at it. I've got to know today."

Jack opened his e-mail and pulled up the schedule. It looked like there were three breaks during each of the four months. A couple of the breaks were actually five days long. Having some steady work for four months and doing something entirely different from what he was accustomed to, appealed to him. He felt that, with a little rearranging, he could make it work.

He called Sid back and discussed a few details with him, including, of course, the pay. Jack liked what he heard. "Let's do it," he said confidently.

"Great!" Sid bellowed. "I'll e-mail you the contract and information about your airfare and hotel accommodations. Glad to have you on board."

They were concluding their conversation when Jack thought of one more question. "Who's the country artist I'll be on tour with?"

Sid settled back in his chair. They were investing a lot of time and money in this artist, and he had a feeling this tour would be a huge launching point. "The artist you'll be touring with is a pretty young lady. She can be a little feisty, but that's only because she knows what she wants. And what Lisa wants is to be a star and to share her music with the world."

Jack's senses heightened at the mention of the name Lisa. "Did you say Lisa?"

"That's right. The artist's name is Lisa Taylor. I really hope you two hit it off."

Jack swallowed hard. Sid's words had hit him in the gut.


Chapter Twenty-Four

The first leg of the tour was beginning in Atlanta. Jack boarded a plane at Denver International Airport two days after talking with Sid. A couple of times since agreeing to be the tour's photographer, Jack had been tempted to call Sid back and cancel. He knew that touring with Lisa could be extremely awkward for her as well as for him.

The two things that kept him from canceling were his burning desire to see her and maybe set the record straight and the thought that maybe she had something to do with Sid Weldon contacting him. The likelihood of this being a complete coincidence was so remote; there was no other rational explanation. Maybe after all these years, Lisa still had the same strong feelings for him that he had for her. More than anything, he wanted that to be true.

Jack had spent the day after the wedding surfing the Internet for all the information he could find on Lisa. How long had she been an artist? How big was she right now? How did she look? Was she married? These and one hundred other questions filtered through his mind.

The record company treated him well. They offered a decent salary and a small expense account. His room was booked in the hotel where all the band members and road crew were staying. Sid had explained that he would be traveling on the tour bus with Lisa. Much of his time would be spent with her, chronicling life on the road with an up-and-coming star.

Sid had given Jack the phone number for Lisa's road manager and instructed him to call when he got into town. Jack called during the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. "Hi, is this Roger Carlton?"

"Speaking."

"Hi, it's Jack Evers. Sid Weldon told me to call when I hit town."

"Jack," Roger said warmly, "we're glad to have you on board. Are you at the airport?"

"No, I'm in a taxi on the way to the hotel."

"Excellent. When you get to the hotel and get settled in your room, call me and we'll grab something to eat. I'll get you brought up to speed on everything you need to know."

"I'll do that. I'm guessing it should probably be about an hour or so," Jack said, looking at his watch.

"I'll be here."

Jack got off the elevator and turned to his right. He walked past the doors in search of Room 537. Each time he passed a door that wasn't his, he couldn't help but wonder if Lisa was occupying that room. The thought made him nervous. He wasn't prepared just yet to come face to face with her.

Just past the middle of the long hall is where he found his room. He set his suitcase down and fished the key card from his pocket. The door across from him opened. His back was turned, but a voice resonated with a slight level of uncertainty. "Jack. Is that you?"

Jack turned. Standing in the doorway was a man approximately twice his age. He had neatly groomed hair with some streaks of gray, and he was dressed in a golf shirt and slacks. "Yeah, I'm Jack. And you must be. . ."

"Roger. Roger Carlton," he said, walking forward with his hand extended. "I'm glad you're here. How are you feeling?"

"I feel good." Jack wasn't sure why he asked, but he figured he was just making conversation.

"Why don't you put your things in your room and we'll get something to eat? I'll bet you're starving!" Jack scanned the menu before deciding on fish and chips. Roger pulled some papers from a soft leather briefcase and laid them on the table. "These are some of the recent articles written about Lisa." He pushed them across the table toward Jack. "Not one negative thing. She has struck a chord and won over a whole lot of hearts. I'm telling you, Jack, you're about to witness the next big thing in country music, and you've got the backstage pass to capture it all."

Jack scanned the articles while Roger talked. They were very flattering, and Jack couldn't feel anything but pride and admiration for Lisa. The years had not diminished the connection he felt with her, and though she was not a part of his life, he only wanted the best for her. "They're calling her a cross between Taylor Swift and Emmylou Harris."

Roger leaned forward. "Let me tell you something, Jack. That's good company to be in. Between the two of them, they have twenty Grammy Awards. Twenty," he repeated, enunciating the word. "I think Lisa's on her way to being just as good."

There was a blank look on Jack's face. If Lisa was on the road to stardom, what would that road have looked like had they never broken up? Would she be having this success today, or would her life have taken a different path? Jack felt a little guilt creep in for lamenting his broken relationship with her. Maybe the way it had turned out was the way it was meant to be. He pushed those thoughts from his mind.

Neither the guilt nor hurt of losing Lisa were comforting.

"Where are Lisa and the band now?"

"They're doing a sound check at the venue. Then Lisa has a magazine interview in just over an hour. We're going to head over there after we're done here."

"We are?" He nervously accepted the news. There was now a definitive time frame for when he would see Lisa, and he wasn't sure if he was ready.

"Yeah. I want you to get some pictures."

Jack finished his meal and then told Roger that he needed to get cleaned up and grab his camera. They agreed to meet in the lobby in twenty minutes.

Lisa was doing some vocal warm-ups. The band was checking the acoustics and the settings for their instruments and microphones. The venues where Lisa would be playing typically had seating for an audience of between one and three thousand. They were the places where rising artists and those on the decline played. Tonight the seating was fifteen hundred, and Roger had told her it was sold out.

The lady from the magazine arrived and approached Lisa. "Hi, Lisa. I'm Joan Silver from Urban Peach magazine. I'm glad you've agreed to spend some time with me."

"Thanks for coming," Lisa replied, shaking her hand.

Joan and Lisa exchanged a few pleasantries, and Lisa wondered why Roger wasn't there yet. She didn't want to start the interview without him. "Has anyone seen Roger?" Lisa shouted.

"There he is," said one of the band members, pointing toward the main door. Roger walked up the long center isle toward the stage. Through the dimly lit seating area, Lisa noticed that he had a visitor in tow.

As Roger made his way up the steps and across the stage, Lisa approached him. "I'm glad you're here," she said. "I didn't want to start . . ." Lisa's comment came to an abrupt halt. Her eyes widened in disbelief. "Jack?" she said, the word barely clearing her throat.

"Hi, Lisa." His instincts were to give her a warm embrace, but it was a risk and not one he wanted to take. He extended his hand, and at first she hesitated, but she eventually responded with a businesslike handshake.

"What's going on?" Lisa asked Roger. "I don't get it." Lisa didn't want to make a scene, but she also wanted answers.

Roger asked Joan and Jack to excuse them for a minute, and he directed Lisa to her dressing room backstage. Once inside, he closed the door, and Lisa, who had controlled her emotions while on stage, became more animated. "Why is Jack here, Roger?" she demanded.

"Sid called and offered him the job of being your photographer after our last photographer had to bail on us."

"And you didn't tell me until now?"

"Would it have mattered?"

Lisa was astounded. "Are you kidding me?" she said, her voice escalating. "Of course it matters. You know our history." She shook her head in disbelief while continuing, "You drop this in my lap right before I'm supposed to give an interview and a couple of hours before I have to be on stage. I think your timing sucks, Roger."

Roger knew she was right. His timing wasn't very good, and she had every right to be mad. "Look, Lisa, this is a business, and we're all professionals. Are you telling me the professional in you can't work with him?"

Lisa looked at Roger. Something didn't seem right, but she could agree they had a professional obligation to make this work. "I still don't know what's going on here, Roger, and I'm mad at you for not telling me, but as long as he sticks to doing his job, I can tolerate it."

"You know he's good, Lisa."

"Of course, I do. And you know I know that. But I'm also highly skeptical about what's going on here."

"Trust me, Lisa. Everything's going to work out, and if at any time you feel differently, just let me know and we'll change course," Roger offered.

"You can bet I will."

"Do you still think you can do the interview, or do you want me to call if off?"

The professional in her surfaced, and she stated, "Let's go. I've got an interview to do."

Professional or not, Lisa found it difficult to concentrate on the interviewer's questions. Her thoughts centered on Jack and how things would be different now that he was there. She would be lying if she said she didn't often think about him, but she was never able to separate her feelings of betrayal from the love she had in her heart. It would be a struggle to keep her bitterness at bay, but she would at least make an attempt.

Lisa finished answering Joan's question about how her life had been changed by her rising fame and success. Jack stood back and zoomed in for a couple of close-up shots while Joan fired off another question. "Is there a love interest in your life? Someone, who at the end of the day, you can pour your heart out to?"

Jack heard the question, and it made him uncomfortable. He had originally assumed that his being there may have been attributed to Lisa--or, at least, he had hoped it was. But her surprise when she saw him dispelled that notion. Maybe there was another man in her life, and if there was, Jack wasn't sure he wanted to hear about it.

Lisa shifted her weight in the chair. It was a revealing question, and many celebrities approached those kinds of questions by stating that their personal life was not something they discussed in public. It would have worked for Lisa as well, but she chose not to shy away from the question.

"You know, Joan," she began, "there is someone."

Jack cringed, and he wasn't sure if he was ready to hear the rest. His acceptance of this assignment had not started out well, and it looked like it was getting worse. He surmised that if he could have done it over, telling Sid "no" would have been a better option.

Lisa continued. "He's back home right now, but when I'm not on the road, we spend a lot of time together. I like to snuggle with him, and he's a great listener. He never interrupts when I'm talking, and he never has a negative word to say."

Jack lowered his camera. He had enough pictures, and he definitely had enough of the interview. His first day on the job was not a good time to learn all these new revelations about Lisa.

"He sounds like the perfect Prince Charming," Joan said, sounding a little envious. "What does he do?"

"Not a lot. He sleeps a lot during the day, and he likes to hunt. He's staying with my parents right now."

Jack could still hear the conversation, and it seemed like her new beau was an outdoors person like himself. He didn't know if that made it better or worse.

"So it sounds like your parents are pretty fond of him." "Absolutely. Mom took him to get groomed today." "Did you say groomed?" Joan asked, seemingly confused.

"Oh yeah. He can get pretty dirty rolling around in the back yard," she said nonchalantly.

Joan leaned forward. She wasn't quite sure what to say. "Are we talking about a dog?" she asked hesitantly.

Jack's ears perked up. He was thinking the same thing Joan was thinking. Something wasn't making sense.

"Yeah. Charlie, my yellow lab." Lisa glanced casually toward Jack. "He's the man in my life. Has been for two years."

Lisa had done it again. Jack knew that whole conversation had been for his benefit. It was her way of getting to him--no different from the time he was told to wear a suit to meet her Aunt Karen. However, the suit had been in fun, and Jack wasn't so certain that this was still about having fun. It seemed more like a dig intended to inflict a little emotional uncertainty.

Jack was ready for this day to end. Lisa was testing his resolve. After the interview, Jack left with Roger to go back to the hotel. He felt it was time to confess something that had been on his mind once he determined that Lisa was not the reason he was there. "Roger," Jack began, hoping he wasn't out of line, "why was I chosen for this opportunity?" Roger found Jack's question interesting. "Because Sid talked to some people in New York that you've done work for, and you came highly recommended." "I realize that. What I'm getting at is, how did Sid know anything about my work? Of all the photographers out there that could have landed this job, how was it he contacted me?" Jack sighed. "I'm at a loss as to how this happened."

"That seems to really be bothering you. Why do you ask?"

Jack didn't know if revealing his former life with Lisa would cause Roger to rethink their choice of him as their photographer, but he had to get it out in the open. There was a good chance Lisa might bring it up, and Jack needed Roger to hear it from him. "Because there is something I need to tell you."

Roger glanced over at Jack. He seemed to be searching for the right words. Roger didn't push him.

"Lisa and I know each other. We went to high school together our senior year."

Roger was silent. He drove while looking straight ahead, and Jack couldn't gauge his reaction. Not knowing what Roger was thinking made him nervous. "There's something else," Jack said, hesitantly.

"More?"

"Yeah," Jack conceded, "there's definitely more." He rubbed the sweat from the palm of his hands on the thighs of his jeans. "Lisa and I were very much in love. As a matter of fact, she was and is my only true love."

Roger pulled into a parking space at the hotel and placed the car in park. He turned off the ignition and faced Jack. "Anything else you want to tell me?"

"That's it. The way this whole thing happened, it's hard to strike it up as random chance. I was certain Lisa had something to do with this, but based on her reaction, it's evident that's not the case."

"You're perceptive, Jack," Roger said, nodding in agreement. "You're also right. This wasn't random chance."

"It wasn't?"

"No. The fact is, I requested you."

Jack was baffled. Roger, someone he didn't even know, had made this request? "Why?" he asked, a blank expression on his face.

"I know about you and Lisa. I have since shortly after becoming her manager."

Jack listened intently.

"You see, Jack, it's my responsibility to know as much as I possibly can about a performer. The last thing a manager wants is a bunch of surprises. The more I know, the greater I can control the outcomes. I don't want to go around putting out fires on a regular basis." Jack was beginning to understand.

"Lisa has told me all about your relationship. I know more than you might think."

Jack was befuddled. "If your job is to prevent things from happening--controlling outcomes, as you called it--then why would you have requested me? I would think I would be the last person you would want to call because of the potential for drama."

Roger grinned. "Good question. You're absolutely right. You would be the last person I would want to call."

"Then why did you?"

"All the discussions I have had with Lisa have led to one conclusion. While she was mad at you and felt betrayed, I can honestly say she never stopped loving you."

Jack felt uncomfortable hearing this. He felt like he had lost five years of his life since Lisa broke up with him. To hear Roger say she still had that love in her heart for him was bittersweet.

"I'm not a psychologist, but Lisa is carrying around a lot of demons whether they're real or imagined. Those demons are always there on the surface, ready to snatch any inkling of happiness away from her."

"I've been through some of those demons with her," Jack said, fully understanding what Roger was saying.

"I put your name out there to Sid even though something like that is normally against my better judgment. I did it because Lisa deserves a shot at happiness, and I'm willing to take the risk for her sake."

It was apparent that Roger was a good man who was about doing the right thing--at least where Lisa was concerned. Jack appreciated his thoughtfulness. "So she really does still care?"

"I can't guarantee that things are going to work out and that you two will pick up right where you left off, because I don't think that's realistic. I do feel you have an opportunity in front of you, and what you make of it is up to you. The ball is in your court."

Jack knew that Roger was right. Knowing Lisa's hurt was not going to make this an easy proposition. Jack stuck his hand out toward Roger. "I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate you taking this chance on me."

"Love is a strange thing, Jack," he said, shaking his hand. "I hope you two are able to rekindle the special bond you once had. Lisa deserves it."

They exited the vehicle and entered the hotel. Jack had an hour before they would head to the concert. His thoughts would be on one thing and one thing only: What was it going to take to win Lisa back?


Chapter Twenty-Five

The house lights came on as Lisa exited the stage, waving to the throngs of appreciative fans. She made her way down the short hall to her dressing room, but she felt the presence of someone behind her. She had her suspicions, and the click of the shutter confirmed them. She stopped abruptly and turned. "Jack, I know you have a job to do, but are you going to follow me everywhere?" she stated, trying not to sound harsh.

"They told me to chronicle your life on the road. This is part of it," he said, making the case for his thoroughness.

"My dressing room is part of life on the road too, Jack. Are you going to follow me in there?" she said, wondering where her privacy started and ended with him.

Jack wasn't sure what to say. Of course, there were places that would be off limits; he just hadn't thought that far ahead to determine what they might be. Supposedly, he would just know when the occasion arose.

Lisa waited for Jack to say something, but he was silent. "Good night, Jack," she said, turning back toward her dressing room.

Jack watched her walk away, and it reminded him of five years earlier when she'd walked out of his life. "You want to get some coffee?"

She stopped, and there was a reflective pause before she faced him. "Coffee? Are you wanting to undo what happened five years ago over a cup of coffee?" Her tone was one of disbelief. "You had your chance, Jack. It was your decision to tell Sean. It was your decision to douse the flames of our love. I didn't want it that way."

"And you think I did?" he said, in astonishment. "You never let me explain. You never gave me a chance. You just cut me off at the knees."

Lisa crossed her arms. "I trusted you, Jack. You let me down. You were supposed to be different, but you weren't."

Jack placed both hands over the center of his chest. "So that's what our love was reduced to? One and done. When the going gets tough, you get going," he said, exasperated.

"I resent that, Jack. I think we need to end this conversation here before you say something else you might regret." Lisa walked away.

Jack ran his hand through his hair. Frustration coursed through his blood, and he felt flushed. Before she got to her dressing room door, he shouted, "Are you telling me you don't think about me? You don't have a single glimmer of love in your heart for me?" Lisa stopped with her back to him, listening. "That you walked away from me that day and never looked back? Is that what I meant to you? Was it that easy?"

Lisa turned and stormed back toward Jack. "It was never easy. Don't you for a minute ever think it was," she said, scolding him as she approached. "I loved you and you broke my heart. I was lost, Jack. I had never felt so alone. It was never easy, and it still isn't easy." Her suppressed feelings surfaced, and she felt the loss all over again. Tears formed in her eyes, and it made her mad that Jack could have that effect on her. She wanted to be strong, but the reality was that she still loved him. No matter how much they argued the point of their breakup, the evidence in their hearts told the truth. The flames of love they had kindled had never been extinguished.

Jack heard everything Lisa said, but there was one part that stood out. One part that he wanted clarified. "What do you mean it still isn't easy?" he asked. "What are you saying?"

Lisa had slipped. She had revealed a glimpse of her heart, and Jack had picked up on it. Lisa stood there, not saying a word.

"Lisa, what did you mean by that?" he asked again, desperate to know.

She put the palm of her left hand out toward Jack, as if to say "Keep your distance." She shook her head. "I can't do this, Jack. I just can't do this." She quickly retreated to her dressing room as Jack made one final plea to her to come back and keep their conversation going.

Lisa locked the door so he wouldn't be tempted to follow her. Fatigued, she plopped down on the couch and buried her face in her hands. The exchange with Jack had dissipated what little energy remained. She hoped she hadn't been too hard on him. But she needed to get her point across. She needed to let him know that trust was the cornerstone of her existence. She had been deprived of it most of her life, and she wasn't going to be deprived of it anymore.

Lisa felt a slight headache. She massaged her temples to relieve some of the stress she was feeling. Her eyes burned. She assumed they were bloodshot and got up to look in the mirror. To her surprise, there was a vase of red roses that she hadn't noticed when she'd opened the door. Her mind had been on her exchange with Jack, so it would have been easy to overlook them.

She took a deep whiff of their scent. They were arranged beautifully in a clear vase with some baby's breath. She figured there were about a dozen and a half large, healthy roses there. She counted them and came up with seventeen. That must be wrong, she thought, and she counted them again. Seveneen it was.

There was a card attached to a ribbon on the vase, and she removed it. "You make me proud," it read in a handwritten message. She flipped the card over to see who it might be from, but the other side was blank. She read the message again. Though it was a mystery, it brought a smile to her face.

Jack walked away disappointed. He felt that Lisa had been on the verge of revealing her feelings but had stopped short. He walked out to the lobby in search of Roger. He found him tucked away in a corner, talking on his cell phone, while the last fans made their way through the exits.

Roger noticed Jack and waved him over. He finished his call as Jack approached. "What did you think? She's good, isn't she?"

Jack nodded. "Even better than I remember."

"Yeah, and she writes ninety percent of her own music. That girl's got talent," Roger boasted.

"Are we heading back to the hotel?"

"Yeah. You're going to want to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow she's playing in Jacksonville, Florida, and we roll out at eight o'clock. You'll be on the tour bus with her. The other band members and I will be on the other one."

"Is there anyone besides Lisa and me?" Jack hoped so. He couldn't ride all that time with Lisa and not have someone to buffer their conversations or potentially referee their newfound disagreements.

"Why do you ask?"

Jack was solemn. "Lisa and I had a conversation tonight, and it didn't go very well."

"You did?"

"Actually, it didn't go well at all." Jack seemed lost. "I thought you said she still had feelings for me?"

"She does."

Jack shook his head. "Well she's got an odd way of showing it." He couldn't identify one thing in their conversation that would have been a clue that she still loved him, except when she'd said, "It still isn't easy."

Roger looked over at Jack. He could see that he was hurting. "Jack, I said this wasn't going to be easy. You don't realize the depth of the pain that Lisa has experienced. For you, it might be easy to forgive someone and just move on. Her disappointment has lasted all her life and runs so deep that when her trust is violated, she goes into a protective mode. You have to regain her trust, and that could take time."

Jack asked, "How much time?" and then immediately realized that it was an impractical question. There was no way Roger could possibly know the answer to that question, but Jack didn't like the uncertainty that lingered.

"Jack," Roger said, trying to bring him into reality, "you just got here today. You've had a limited conversation with Lisa. You've been apart for five years, and now you think things will correct themselves overnight? Let's be real."

"I know. That was a dumb question."

Roger nodded in agreement. "Listen, this is what you need to know."

Jack focused his attention on what Roger was preparing to say.

"She can appear tough on the outside, but she's fragile on the inside. You have to slowly prove to her that you're trustworthy." Roger's open hand made a chopping motion as he emphasized his point. "I'm going to let you in on a little secret."

Jack listened intently. "The six months she had with you in Maple Creek were the best six months of her life." "She told you that?" he said, in amazement.

"She did," Roger confirmed. "You have moved her in a way that no other person has, and she hasn't forgotten that. You need to take it slow and regain her trust. She's going to be distant, and she's going to keep you at arm's length. It's important for you to allow her those reactions and to stay positive. You have to slowly keep chipping away at that protective barrier by proving yourself."

Jack let those words register. "How do you know so much about all these things?"

Roger chuckled. "Just remember--I'm twice your age. Hopefully, with age comes a little wisdom."


Chapter Twenty-Six

The next morning, Roger knocked on Lisa's door. He wanted to see if there was something he could take down to the bus for her. She opened the door, and as he walked into the room, he could see that she was a little haggard. "You okay?" he asked.

Lisa zipped the suitcase that lay on the bed. "I didn't sleep too good last night."

Roger wondered if the spat with Jack had anything to do with it, but he definitely wasn't going to ask. "Too hyped from the concert?"

Lisa tugged at the suitcase to set it on the floor, but Roger interceded and took it from her. She sat down on the bed, and the exhaustion was apparent in her eyes. "I just had a lot on my mind. Sorting through some things." She looked at the vase of flowers and then at Roger. "Did you give me those roses?"

Roger looked toward the table and saw the beautiful display of red roses. "No, but they sure are nice."

"I can't figure out who gave them to me."

"Could they have come from a fan?" Roger asked, walking over to take a closer look.

"I doubt it. The card reads 'I'm so proud of you.' That doesn't sound like it's from a fan. It seems more personal."

Roger examined the card. For a moment, he wondered if Jack might have been the sender, but surely he would have mentioned it during their conversation the previous night. Or maybe not.

Lisa got up from the bed. "If you can take my two suitcases, I'll grab my bag and the flowers."

Roger set the suitcases in the hall and held the door for Lisa. She slung her large bag over her shoulder and placed her hands on the vase of flowers. She took a deep whiff of their wonderful scent before lifting them from the table. "Jacksonville, here we come."

Roger placed her suitcases in her bedroom on the bus. Lisa found a secure place to store her flowers, where she would be able to enjoy them during the ride. "Are you riding with me, today?" she asked.

"Not this time," Roger said, thinking he knew why she had asked. "I need to go over some new contracts with the band members, and there's no better time than when I have them in a confined space."

"So who's riding with me?"

"Jack is," he said, gauging her reaction.

"I know he is. Who else?" she insisted. "And you better not tell me that's it."

Roger hesitated. "I'll tell you what. The contracts should only take about an hour. Once I have that out of the way, I'll have them pull the buses over, and I'll ride with you. What do you say?"

Jack boarded the bus before Lisa could answer. "Hi, Jack," Roger said. "How did you sleep last night?" The way he said it, Jack thought there was something more to the question. Maybe Lisa had filled him in on the details of their little spat and it was Roger's way of asking if everything was okay.

Jack, not wanting to be rude, acknowledged Lisa with a "Good morning" before answering Roger. "I actually slept quite well. I almost slept through my alarm."

Lisa rolled her eyes, but neither of them noticed. Either Jack wasn't telling the truth or he didn't have a conscience, she thought. How could last night's exchange not have affected him?

Roger took Jack's suitcases and placed them in a closet. "I was just heading over to the other bus, so you make yourself comfortable and we should be on the road shortly." Roger bid them goodbye and was gone.

"Where would you like me to sit?" Jack asked Lisa.

"You can sit wherever you like, because I'm taking a nap." She disappeared behind the bedroom door without saying another word. The tour rolled on from Jacksonville to Tallahassee before leaving Florida for Mobile, Alabama. Everywhere Lisa went, she was met with sold-out audiences, and she was rapidly developing a loyal following. The record label had invested in a strong marketing campaign, and local radio stations were giving her favorable airtime.

With her increased fame came an increase in commitments. Everyone wanted a piece of her, and her time was stretched thin. It was a hectic pace, and Jack's obligation had him trekking along to most of the events, interviews, radio station appearances, and the like.

From Mobile, they would be heading to Shreveport, Louisiana and then on to her home state of Tennessee for a date in Memphis. After Memphis, they would enjoy a four-day break, and Jack had plans to return to Maple Creek for a couple of days. He had something to do, which he felt was long overdue.

When the bus pulled into Memphis, Lisa experienced a little apprehension. Playing in her home state carried a self-imposed higher expectation, which created an increased sense of burden. That burden was mostly attributed to the fact that her parents would possibly see her perform when the tour rolled into Knoxville, Tennessee after the break. Knoxville was a short drive from her hometown, and her mother had already indicated that they were coming. Lisa assumed that "they" meant her father would be in attendance as well.

She had mixed emotions about her father seeing her perform. She had harbored bitterness for so long that she preferred he stay home. She rationalized that since he had never been a part of her life growing up, he wasn't entitled to act like he was a part of it now. Except that, for Lisa, there was another side of the coin, and that side wanted him there. She needed to prove to him that she was a good person and that it was his loss that he had chosen to miss out on most of her life. She also secretly wanted to feel accepted by him. Maybe, just maybe, he would appreciate her talent, which would in turn, at least to some degree, validate her self-worth.

She had never relied on her father to validate anything for her, and she had long convinced herself that she could be happy without his approval. Still, she wanted to know that she finally mattered to him--that the daughter born to him wasn't insignificant.

Lisa tried to push those thoughts from her mind. She had almost a week before she needed to dwell on them. She had a concert tonight, and her focus needed to be on her performance.

The auditorium in Memphis was the largest place she had played in. The seating was near five thousand, and once again, they could have sold more tickets than there was capacity. For her performance, she had opted to wear something a little patriotic, consisting of a white skirt, red blouse, and blue denim jacket. She complemented it with leather boots that sported a multi-dyed pattern.

When she arrived backstage, Jack was in awe of how stunning she looked. She'd always had a wonderful sense of style and glamour. Jack didn't need to be convinced that she was outright beautiful, but tonight there was a definite radiance to her beauty.

He snapped a few pictures, and to his surprise, Lisa struck a couple of playful poses. It reminded him of her photo shoot in the mountains and the wonderful time they had experienced. It also reminded him of the first time they'd kissed and how alive and in love he had felt around her. They were not distant memories--just ones he hoped they would be able to relive.

Lisa motioned for Jack to follow her. She walked from the stage to her dressing room and then opened the door. Jack hesitated. He remembered Atlanta, and he didn't want to overstep his bounds and go somewhere that was off limits. Lisa spoke up, "C'mon, Jack, it's okay," and he followed her into the dressing room.

Jack couldn't figure out what Lisa wanted. "Is everything okay?" he asked, trying to get some semblance of why she had summoned him into this typically forbidden zone.

Lisa fidgeted. She hadn't bared her soul to Jack in many years, but she needed someone other than Roger to confide in. "Have you ever been nervous about something?" Lisa asked, realizing that probably wasn't the most brilliant question or best way to start the subject. "I remember how nervous I felt the first time I kissed you."

"You were nervous?" she replied, intrigued.

"Oh yeah. You know it's one of those things where you want everything to be perfect," he said replaying that moment in his mind. "How should I kiss her? How long should I kiss her? Is my breath okay? What if she thinks I'm moving too fast? You know, a whole assortment of stupid thoughts."

Lisa smiled as she leaned back against the counter. "Yeah, I was nervous too. Then you kissed me and the gentleness of your touch just made everything feel so right." "Some good memories."

"But I'm sure this doesn't have anything to do with our first kiss."

Lisa crossed her arms. "I'm feeling some stage fright coming on, and I don't know what to do."

Jack was surprised. "You're nervous about playing tonight? The way you've been performing since I joined the tour, I would have guessed you didn't even know the meaning of the word."

"I think it's because I'm back in Tennessee. And there's a good chance when we resume in Knoxville after the break, my father could be in attendance."

Jack gave a nod. Now it was starting to make sense. He understood what Lisa was experiencing, and she didn't have to elaborate. She had shared enough while they were going out in high school that he knew the trepidation she was feeling.

"Are you afraid he's going to judge you?"

She looked at him thoughtfully. "Jack, I'm afraid of everything. I'm afraid he won't say anything at all. I'm afraid he'll find something to disapprove of when it comes to my talent. I'm afraid I'll experience his disappointment once again."

Lisa looked down at the floor, and it was quiet in the room. Jack wasn't sure what to say or do, but he was glad she felt safe confiding in him.

"I just want him to love me and tell me he's proud of me," she said softly, reflecting the pain of her broken heart. "Why is that too much to ask? What is wrong with me that he is incapable of showing me love? It hurts so much, Jack, and there is nothing I can do about it."

The pain Lisa was feeling struck deep, and Jack felt every measure of it. "I would do anything to give you the peace of mind and reassurance you need, Lisa." Jack wanted to walk up to her, wrap his arms around her, and tell her that everything was going to be alright; only he couldn't be sure it would be. He also couldn't assume she would be receptive of him being that close. "Just know that I fully support you, and I'm here for you anytime you need me. And when you're on stage, I'll only be a short distance away, ready to give you a thumbs-up or a smile of encouragement."

Lisa felt the warmth of Jack's sincerity, and she appreciated it. It was the Jack she had always known. She walked up to him and gave him a hug. "Thanks, Jack, for listening." She stepped back and straightened her jacket. "I've got a concert to do," she stated with a renewed sense of purpose.

Jack smiled. Lisa confiding in him gave him a renewed sense of hope.





Chapter Twenty-Seven

By all accounts, the Memphis concert was a roaring success. Lisa played a couple of additional songs that weren't a part of the original song list, and she received two standing ovations. Only once did she look over for a vote of confidence from Jack, and he gave her a thumbs-up to let her know everything was going well.

After the band members had left the stage and Lisa had disappeared to her dressing room, Jack gathered his things to go back to the hotel. He had booked a late-night flight to Denver, and depending on how tired he was, he hoped to drive back to Maple Creek as soon as possible. It seemed like a bad time to be leaving. Lisa was showing an increasing interest in him, and he didn't want the lapse in seeing her again to diminish where things seemed to be going.

Rather than waiting for Roger or the tour bus, he caught a cab back to the hotel. He had hoped to say goodbye to Lisa, but he could always call her. Maybe he could stop by her room as he was leaving. Either way, he didn't want to be rude and just disappear.

Jack decided he would take a quick shower and call to check the status of his flight. There were severe storms in the northeast where the flight was originating. He was told his flight was delayed by two hours. Rather than sit in the airport, he would stay at the hotel and continue to check its status. If by chance his flight was canceled, at least he would have a room for the night.

He turned on the television and watched some reruns of a sitcom to pass the time. He called again after an hour, and they confirmed that the flight was grounded and would be rescheduled for the next morning. Jack hung up and contemplated his next move. He could call it a night, or he could see if any of the band members had congregated on the outdoor patio area. Maybe Lisa would be there. He would love to see her and find out how she thought the concert had gone.

His attention was diverted to someone yelling outside his door, in the hallway. He went to the door, opened it, and peered in the direction the noise was coming. He noticed a woman standing in the hall, clutching a bottle. She was talking loudly. It seemed she was having a heated conversation, but she was the only one in the hall.

Jack walked toward the woman. "Is everything okay?" he asked, as he approached.

The woman turned quickly toward the sound of Jack's voice. "Well, if it isn't Mr. Picture Taker," she said, slurring her words. "Or should I say, Shu . . . Shutt . . . Shutterbug," she offered, the words finally freeing themselves from her tongue.

"Lisa!" Jack said, in absolute disbelief. "What are you doing? Are you okay?" The bottle in her hand appeared to be whiskey. Jack had never known Lisa to be a drinker. At least he had never seen her drink since being on tour with her.

"What do you care if I'm okay?" Lisa was agitated, and it was apparent that her agitation was being fueled by the whiskey. "You didn't seem to care when you told. . ." She paused as she momentarily searched for the name she needed. "Sean," she finally blurted out.

"You told Sean about me, and you didn't care if it hurt me."

Jack was completely caught off guard. Less than four hours before, Lisa had been confiding in him, and now she was throwing the past in his face. He knew the whiskey was fueling it, but why? Why now? What had he done that made her feel like unleashing her scorn at this particular time? Her demeanor had done a one-eighty.

'Lisa, I do care. I have been trying everything since I've been on tour with you to prove to you that I'm sorry and want you back in my life. Please don't do this now," he pleaded. "Please just let it go."

"Let it go!" she said, chiding him. "You'd like that, wouldn't you?

Everyone always wants something at my expense." The bottle slipped from her hand, and she struggled to pick it up before all the contents spilled out. She fumbled with it on the floor before securing it in her right hand. She held it up to see how much remained.

"Lisa, I can't talk right now. You're not rational."

"I'll show you rational," she said, focusing her attention on a guy in the hallway. He was wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt and was standing just a couple of doors down from Jack's room. She recognized him as one of the guys on her road crew. "Trevor," she hollered, as he prepared to enter his room. "You want a shot of whiskey?" she said, holding up the bottle.

"Sure, Lisa. Particularly if you're offering." He hurried down the hall, shooting past Jack, and took the bottle from her outstretched hand.

"That's a man who . . . 'preciates good whiskey," she said, taunting Jack.

Trevor threw back a long swig and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "Nice and smooth. That tastes good."

"Here's something else that tastes good," Lisa said, grabbing his T-shirt at the chest and pulling him to her lips.

Trevor wasn't a bashful guy, and if Lisa wanted to lock lips with him, he definitely wasn't going to pass. It wasn't an ordinary kiss, as Trevor placed his hand on the back of her head, and she wrapped her arms around his waist. Lisa was apparently enjoying it, and Jack saw his world, as he hoped it to be, fall apart before his eyes.

Lisa broke their embrace. "Where's your camera now, Jack? I'm sure this is a picture you'd like to have!" She smirked. She gave Trevor another quick peck and grabbed his hand. "Come with me," was all she said, as she opened the door to her room. Trevor eagerly obliged. "Don't do it, Lisa!" Jack implored. "You've had too much to drink."

The door closed, and Jack stood alone in the hall. He felt an escalating anger, and he wanted to pound on her door and give Lisa a piece of his mind. He wanted to tell her to stop acting like a foolish little brat. Instead, he retreated to his room and gathered his things to head for the elevator. Waiting at the airport suddenly seemed like a better option than being around this poisonous place.

Walking through the lobby, Jack saw Roger talking on his cell phone. He heard Roger say, "Let me call you back," and he ended the call. He motioned to Jack. "Are you leaving?"

Jack stood his suitcases upright. "Yes, I'm leaving, Roger, and I'm leaving for good."

"What do you mean for good?" he said, perplexed.

Jack crossed his arms. "Roger, you've been good to me, but I can't do this anymore."

Roger saw the frustration on his face. "Does this have anything to do with Lisa?"

"It has everything to do with Lisa," Jack stated firmly.

"Don't go yet, Jack. We need to talk."

Jack didn't know what Roger could say to make the situation any better or make him want to stay, but he agreed, and they went outdoors to the patio area. The patio was vacant, and Roger directed him to a secluded table away from the door.

Jack took a seat and looked at Roger with anticipation. "Jack." He paused. "The tour is taking an extended hiatus. I was just on the phone letting some of the promoters know and asking them to check when we might reschedule."

"I don't understand."

Roger took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Lisa told me not to say anything just yet, but I think you have a right to know."

The suspense was mounting for Jack as he tried to gauge where Roger was going with this conversation.

"About halfway through the concert, I got a call. It was from Lisa's Aunt Karen. Lisa's father had a heart attack," he said, choking back some emotion. "I feel horrible for Lisa."

Jack's heart beat quickly. This was not the type of news he had expected. "Is he . . ." He stopped, wanting to make sure he used the right words.

"He didn't make it," Roger quickly confirmed.

Jack was speechless. He leaned forward, placed his elbows on his knees, and put his head in his hands.

"Karen said there will be a service as soon as they can make arrangements. She was flying out to be with Kate."

"Let me know when it is so I can be there." Jack didn't move from his position.

Jack now had a better understanding of why Lisa had acted the way she had. He didn't like it, but he understood. Any chance of having her father's acceptance had just died with his passing. He hurt for Lisa and wished he could be there for her.

The nearly full moon reflected off the swimming pool as both men sat in silence. Roger would be riding with Lisa to the airport tomorrow, and together they would fly to Knoxville. Karen would be there to pick Lisa up and drive her to Lakeville.

Jack sat up and broke the silence. "Roger, I think I'm going to leave for the airport. There's a lot I need to sort out."

Roger nodded. "I know things haven't turned out the way you'd have liked them to, but I wish you'd take a few days and think about it before you leave the tour. If after a couple of days you still feel that way, I'll accept your decision."

Jack reached across the table to shake Roger's hand. "Thanks, Roger. I'll give it a couple of days and let you know."

He wheeled his suitcases through the door, and they seemed a little heavier. Everything in his life seemed heavier.

Chapter Twenty-Eight

The plane throttled down the runway, and as the plane became airborne, Lisa felt a queasiness in her stomach. Lisa never had a problem flying, but doing it after a night of whiskey drinking was a first, especially for someone who was known to only have an occasional drink. She had a pounding headache, and to escape the heat of the sun pouring through her window, she pulled the shade.

"Rough night?" Roger asked. Though Jack had not said anything about the events of the night before, word traveled quickly that Lisa was handling the news of her father's passing by self-medicating. No one could blame her, but it was so out of character for her.

"I'm such a fool, Roger," she said, resting her head back on the seat with her eyes closed. "Anyone who thinks they can drink their grief away is kidding themselves."

"That bad?"

"If my life wasn't complicated enough dealing with my father's passing, I had to go and create another set of problems. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid."

"Anything you want to talk about?"

Lisa wasn't about to share the embarrassment she had caused herself at Jack's expense. "No, I just want to go to sleep. Wake me when we're about to land."

"You got it." Roger pulled a magazine from the seat back and became lost in an article about the Rocky Mountains.

When the plane landed, Karen was there waiting. Lisa had a special place in her heart for her and appreciated her being there. She gave Karen a big, long hug. "I miss you so much," she told Karen. "Thanks so much for being here for Mom and me."

Karen pushed the hair from Lisa's eyes. "That's what family is for, honey."

Lisa introduced Roger to Karen. "This is my Aunt Karen I've told you so much about."

"It's a pleasure," Roger said, offering a handshake. "You can't believe how highly your niece speaks of you."

"I'm proud of her as all get-out," Karen stated. "She's been a blessing to this family."

Lisa appreciated her comment, but in Lisa's eyes it was Karen who was the blessing to this family.

Lisa's head was feeling a bit better, but she felt extremely tired. The nap on the plane had been good but insufficient. That day, she made a promise to herself that, no matter what, she would never drink like that again. Even the smell of whiskey would be nauseating to her for some time.

"How's Mom doing?" she asked cautiously.

"It's hit her pretty hard," Karen said, as they walked toward the escalators. "She relied on your father to take care of her, and she's somewhat lost. He took care of all the bills. He filed all the paperwork, and she is going to have to go through it all to bring herself up to speed. It's not easy."

"This has been a struggle. I feel like I shouldn't go back on tour until I know Mom is doing well. I can't leave her alone." "You needn't worry about that, sweet pea. I've already told your mother she's coming out to Colorado with me for an extended stay."

Lisa seemed surprised. Her mother rarely went anywhere because her father was always working. "What did she say to that?"

"I think she's actually looking forward to it. A change will be very good for her, and it will give me a chance to spend some long-awaited time with my sister."

They took their bags from the carousel, and Lisa gave Roger a hug goodbye. "It was nice meeting you," he told Karen.

"You as well, Roger. I'm glad to see my niece is in good hands."

"I guess I'll be seeing both of you in a few days," he said, bidding them goodbye. "I'll periodically check in with you, Lisa, and see how things are going."

"Thanks, Roger."

Karen pulled up to Kate's house and parked in the driveway. Lisa feared the heartbreak her mother would be feeling. Together, they would need to lean on each other, and Lisa was glad that Karen was there to help them cope.

Lisa hurried to the front door. Her mother heard them pull up and was waiting. She hugged her daughter, and together they shared their sorrow with a good cry. Karen fetched Lisa's suitcases from the car. She took her time to give Kate and Lisa the personal moment they needed.

"You don't know how good it is to have you here," Kate said to Lisa, as she held the sides of her face in her hands.

"I wish it were for a different reason," Lisa said solemnly.

"Come in and sit down." Kate went to the door. "Where's that sister of mine?"

"She's bringing in my suitcases."

Kate held the door while Karen struggled with both suitcases. "Do you always pack like this?" Karen shouted into the family room, where Lisa was seated.

"I have to. I never know what I'm going to wear each night I perform."

Karen set the suitcases down and walked into the family room. She looked at Lisa. "You could always wear black each night, like Johnny Cash. That would simplify things."

Lisa crossed her arms and gave her aunt a look that said "Really."

Karen picked up on it and said, "Just trying to help."

They all gathered in the family room. The conversations tiptoed around Dan's passing. Lisa was afraid to bring it up for fear of making her mother sad. Kate didn't want to bring it up because she knew Lisa had unresolved issues around her father's passing, and she figured there was some hostility mixed in with her grief. Of course, Aunt Karen certainly didn't have any qualms about broaching the subject, and she did.

"Kate, there are a lot of decisions that need to be made for the service. When do you want to go to the funeral home?"

"Can we go tomorrow?"

"You want to go tomorrow morning?"

"Morning's good."

"Do you want to come with us tomorrow?" Karen asked Lisa.

Lisa didn't want to think about it now. "Ask me again tomorrow," she responded.

The conversation was momentarily quiet before Karen spoke.

"Your mother tells me Jack is touring with you as your photographer."

Jack's name gave Lisa a sinking feeling. It harkened her back to last night and what a fool she had been. "He started a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta after our photographer bailed on us."

"How's that going?" Karen knew why their relationship had ended. She also knew Jack very much cared for Lisa. To Karen, it was quite interesting that Jack had ended up on this assignment. She presumed it had been more than a coincidence.

Lisa wished Karen hadn't asked. She was feeling embarrassed about the way she had treated Jack. The news of her father was not a good excuse for how she had behaved. It was out of character, and she easily blamed her consumption of whiskey. "Jack has done some outstanding work. He has an eye for capturing the moment." She hoped that would satisfy Karen's curiosity.

That wasn't enough information for Karen. "What about you two? Any chance you've rekindled the romance?"

Kate spoke up. "Lisa's not looking for romance. Her love is her music, and what she had with Jack is in the past."

Lisa wasn't in the mood to discuss Jack or her life, but what her mother said dumbfounded her. She had no idea why she made that statement. She had not shared anything with her other than that Jack was her photographer. For her to presume she knew something about their relationship seemed to come out of nowhere. "Jack and I are friends," she stated matter-of-factly. Lisa knew that may have been an overstatement, considering recent developments.

"My guess is you've still got some deep-seated feelings for him," Karen ventured.

Karen could read people like a book, particularly her niece. "Can we change the subject?" Lisa pleaded.

The next day, Karen asked Lisa again if she wanted to go to the funeral home with them. Lisa declined. Her mother was in good hands with Karen, and Lisa didn't see any reason to go. She would spend her time doing laundry and practicing some of her songs for when the tour resumed. Karen was a big help when it came to the funeral arrangements. Kate conceded that she could not have done it without her. She was amazed at her younger sister's inner strength. It was one of her redeeming qualities, Kate appreciated.

When they returned home after making funeral arrangements, Kate picked up the mail. There were several envelopes that looked like they contained condolence cards. She also noticed some envelopes that looked like bills. This was one area of her life that would change. She would have to put together the pieces of her life without Dan there to guide her along the way. It wasn't anything she wanted to think about right now. It all seemed too overwhelming, and the paperwork would still be there after the funeral. She would try to get Lisa to help her sort through things before she had to hit the road again.

For now, she proposed taking Karen and Lisa to dinner that night to a place of their choosing. Kate just wanted to get out of the house. She still expected Dan to walk through the front door like he did every night when he wasn't out of town on business. Getting used to the reality that he would never walk through it again brought tears to her eyes.

Lisa decided they would go to Nate's for dinner. It was a casual restaurant and bar that served a variety of food and drinks. She hadn't been there in many years, and for some reason, it popped into her head that it would be a good place to revisit.

When they walked inside, the hostess seated them at the back of the restaurant. Lisa had a dvu moment when she saw the small stage and a guitar sitting in a stand. Five minutes into their meal, a young lady of about twenty with long blond hair came out and picked up the guitar. She thanked everyone for coming out. For my first song I want to play a current tune called 'Choices.' It's by local musician Lisa Taylor.

Karen and Lisa shared a stunned look. Lisa didn't know what to say. She had once stood in awe of the musicians who shaped her life as she played her own renditions of their hits. Now she was one of those musicians, and the recording contract and concert halls she had visited had not made the statement that she had "arrived" quite like a young lady playing one of her songs in a restaurant. It was reminiscent of her days at Lucinda's.

Lisa smiled and sang along quietly to the song. Karen and Kate urged her to go up and introduce herself to the young lady. Lisa refused. She wasn't there to overshadow this young artist. This was her night, and she wasn't taking anything away from her. She left there thinking that everything that had happened since her first night at Lucinda's seemed like yesterday.

It was an overcast day at the cemetery, which mirrored the mood of the funeral. Roger was there, as were all Lisa's band members. The record company sent a representative, and of course, Jack kept his word and was present, though he tried to keep a low profile by standing in the back. It was important for him to support Lisa in this time of need, if only with his physical presence.

Lisa was seated in the front row. She wore a black dress, like her mother, and large black sunglasses. She held a white handkerchief, which she used to dab at her eyes from under the sunglasses. Occasionally, she would steal a glimpse of the crowd behind her. She didn't want to be too obvious, but she wanted to see whose lives her father might have touched. There were a lot of people she didn't recognize, and she presumed some of them were her father's clients or people he had worked with.

Lisa stared at the silver-gray casket. She struggled to reconcile her emotions about her father's passing. How could she feel so sad for someone whom she barely knew and who'd had such a minimal impact on her life? Or was the sadness really veiled anger, knowing he had escaped this world without giving her the acceptance she hoped would one day be hers? While her father had been alive, there had always been a flicker of hope. That flame had now been extinguished.

While the pastor spoke, Lisa held her mother's hand. The reality was that she needed to move on and learn to accept that the last twenty-three years could not be changed. It was the hand she had been dealt, and no rearranging of the cards could alter it. Maybe the next hand would be better.

Shortly after the pastor began to deliver the eulogy, Lisa wondered if she was at the wrong funeral. He talked about the love Dan had for his family and mentioned Kate and Lisa by name. He talked about how involved Dan was with the community and his family. He actually called him "a family man."

Lisa wanted to stand up and say "Quit lying!" She was appalled that someone who was a servant of God was saying things people wanted to hear but that she knew were not completely correct. Where had he gotten his information? It certainly hadn't come from her! The sad thing was that people were nodding in agreement, as if everything the pastor was saying was the truth.

For Lisa, the service couldn't end fast enough. She wanted to be out of there, but there was still the reception that she was expected to attend. She would have to endure the endless parade of guests coming up to share their condolences. They would say kind things about her father and share their little stories, as if Lisa really cared.

When the service finally ended, Lisa found Roger in the crowd and told him, "Get me out of here. I can't do this anymore." Roger escorted Lisa to his vehicle. He opened the passenger door for her and then went around to the driver's side. Lisa looked out at the gathering, as Roger placed the car in drive. Her gaze met Jack's. He had come. After all she had put him through, he had come. It brought a smile to her face.


Chapter Twenty-Nine

Two days had passed since the funeral. Karen told Kate she was going to pick up some groceries to get them through the next few days. She asked Lisa if she wanted to come along, but Lisa had agreed to help her mother sort through the drawers of envelopes and paperwork that her father had stored in his office desk. Karen agreed that helping her mother was a good idea.

The large mahogany desk had half a dozen large drawers and a long, thin drawer where he used to sit. Kate started with the bottom left drawer. She removed all the contents and set them on the floor. Together, they would sift through the endless papers, envelopes, and whatever else they found.

There was no orderliness to the mass of paperwork, but somehow when Dan needed something, he knew right where to find it. Kate wished they had shared in the responsibility of decision making. She wished Dan had spent more time discussing the financial dealings of the household with her. It would have allowed her to avoid what she now faced.

"What are we looking for, Mom?" Lisa asked, pulling an envelope from the stack.

"Any recent bills, accounting ledgers, or insurance papers you might come across. Just anything you think I might want to have a look at," Kate responded.

Lisa found an unopened credit card bill with a recent date, and she gave it to her mother.

Kate looked at it with dread. "I suppose it's a statement, and probably past due." Kate opened the envelope and looked at the statement, which showed a zero balance. "That's a relief."

Lisa was moving at a faster pace. Each of the items Kate was looking at had some significance to their lives that Lisa couldn't appreciate. Kate needed to go slower.

"Here's something from an insurance company," she said, passing it to her mother.

Kate removed the contents of the opened envelope and realized it was a small insurance policy. Dan had signed up for the policy when they'd first married.. Kate's eyes lit up at the unexpected surprise. "This is one I certainly hadn't expected," she said, looking over at Lisa. Lisa's eyes were fixated on an envelope, and she appeared not to have heard Kate's comment. "What did you find?" Kate asked inquisitively.

She held the envelope up for her mother to see. "Isn't this Dad's writing?"

Kate looked at the envelope. It had a stamp and a return address label. It also had Lisa's name but no forwarding address.

"I think this is for me," Lisa said.

"It sure looks that way," Kate proposed. "Open it."

Lisa was curious, but somewhat reluctant to open the envelope. She wasn't strong enough right now to handle anymore disappointment.

"Go ahead and open it," her mother said again.

Lisa slid a trembling finger under one corner and slowly ripped at the envelope. She peered into the open slit and noticed a folded piece of paper. She pulled the paper from the envelope and unfolded it. It was a letter in her father's handwriting. She held the letter in her hand, not ready to delve into its contents. Part of her wanted to shove it back into the envelope and wait for another day. The other part had an unbridled curiosity.

"Aren't you going to read it?" Kate said with mounting wonder.

Lisa's looked at the paper and began reading to herself, preferring to know what it said before telling her mother.



Lisa,

These words are long overdue. I have never been good at showing and expressing my feelings. This is something you know more than probably anyone else because you've had to experience it. I never wanted it that way, but I didn't do anything to change it, and for that I am extremely sorry. You have never done anything to not deserve my support and most of all my love. My unconditional love. The love of a father and his daughter.

I made a mistake that I regret with all my heart and I can't give you back those lost years. We both will never know the joy that could have been ours if I hadn't deprived us of that experience all these years. You were the daughter many fathers would want. You never gave your mother and me any trouble. You excelled in school and turned out to be quite an athlete, though I can only go off of what Mom tells me, because I was not around enough to see it for myself.

After that reprehensible incident after volleyball practice several years ago, a part of me died. I withdrew more when you needed me the most. I couldn't face you. I felt responsible though I never could have predicted such a thing. Never. You were hurt and you blamed me as much as I blamed myself. I can't fathom the pain you suffered and I can't blame you for feeling the way you did.

I understand what a disappointment I've been, but yet you have never disappointed me. Not once, ever. Whatever you feel about me, you have that right. It is my hope that you might someday find it in your heart to forgive me. I might not be worthy of your forgiveness, but if you ever see fit to give it, I will cherish that measure of peace in my heart that only forgiveness can bring.

I have never told you this, but I am so proud of you. You have accomplished so much in your life and now it looks like you are making a name for yourself in the music business. When I was on a car club trip in Atlanta a couple of days ago, you were playing there. I never told your mother, but I went and watched as you mesmerized the crowd with your beautiful voice and incredible musical talent. I sent you seventeen red roses. One for each year that I was absent in your life as you were growing up. The color red to let you know that you are loved. The card simply stated, "You make me proud." I sent them anonymously for fear you wouldn't accept them if you knew they were from me.

You deserve every bit of happiness that comes your way and I hope it's not too late for us to someday right the wrongs of the past. Though you might have disowned me, you will always be my daughter and if you give me the chance I would spend the rest of my life making it up to you. I figure it could take that long.

I Love You,

Dad

It took Lisa longer to read the letter than normal. She didn't want to misconstrue any part of its contents. The reading also slowed when her eyes clouded with tears early on in the letter, upon seeing "I am extremely sorry." Her tears fell like the first drops of a rainstorm, some hitting the paper and some falling on her lap.

Her father's repentance for his failings--a declaration of pride and loving acceptance and an admission of wanting to make things right--was the thing she desperately longed to hear. It proved to be emotionally overwhelming for Lisa. Her chest heaved, as she gasped for air, and the rainstorm of tears followed.

Kate had watched intently as her daughter read the letter. "What's wrong, Lisa?" she asked with great concern. Kate imagined the worse.

Lisa couldn't answer her mother at the moment. Too much was churning inside her and between the sobbing and the emotional rush of love and acceptance his words brought, she found it difficult to speak. She laid her head on her mother's leg and allowed Kate to take the paper from her hand. Kate read as Lisa wept softly.

It was a liberating cry, a joyous cry, and a cry brought on by years of pain being flushed from her body and a newfound love rushing in to fill the void. Years of pent-up anguish and grief were replaced by solace and understanding. For all the warmth and healing her father's letter brought, it was still bittersweet. He was not here. He would never know the joy he had brought to her heart. She would not be able to thank him, give him a warm embrace, tell him "I forgive you, Dad," and give him some of the healing he had also needed.

It hadn't worked out the way she would have liked, but her father had given her something she had thought was lost forever. Rather than focus on the what-ifs of the situation, Lisa decided to count her blessings. Her father had given her a gift--a gift like no other.

Kate finished the letter and stroked Lisa's hair. She was proud of Dan for giving their daughter the one thing she needed most--his words of love. "He saw you perform," she said softly.

Lisa sat up and faced her mother. "He did, Mom. He saw me play, and he was proud of me. My dad was proud of me," she said with the stare and sound of a little child. The inner child in Lisa was set free. No longer would she harbor the pain of the past. There was a future ahead of her, and for the first time, she felt liberated. Her self-worth had been validated in a letter written by the man who had given her life.

Lisa gave her mom a big hug. "I'm going to go for a walk, Mom." She needed some fresh air and time to reflect. She felt like being alone. "Are you going to be okay? Do you want me to come with you?"

"I'm good, Mom. I'll be fine," she said reassuringly.

Lisa walked out the front door, crossed the street, and took a right on Palace Street. She hadn't been in the neighborhood for several years, but not much had changed. The only change she noticed was the one occurring inside her. She was finally at peace, and walking the neighborhood was her way of saying, "Look at me! Look at the new Lisa! You might have thought you knew me, but I'm different now. I'm better, and I'm proud of who I am."

The walk was intended as a time to sort through the overwhelming changes in her life that had occurred at a dizzying pace. She took the time to think about her father. She tried to imagine what a newfound relationship could have looked like had he not died. She replayed the contents of his letter over and over in her mind. It brought her peace. She thought of her mother. Lisa was worried for her mother. She feared how she would manage being alone for the first time in her life. She thought about the tour starting up again and how nice it would be to perform for her mother and Aunt Karen. She would put on a performance like no other. She also thought of Jack.

She felt horrible for the way she treated him after the concert in Memphis. Jack didn't deserve to be treated that way. The demons of her past had taken her to a new low with the passing of her father. She was still making Jack pay for something that happened five years ago, even though, in her heart, she knew that his actions had not been malicious.

Lisa realized that the disappointment, pain, and rejection she had experienced were the shaky platform on which her existence was built. It was not a good way to go through life, but it was what she knew. At the first sign of trouble, it would give way. It had to; that was how she protected herself from further pain.

Lisa didn't know she would ever be able to admit that about herself. But her father's letter freed her from the fragile world in which she lived. She knew what she had to do. She had to make things right.

She had to make things right with Jack.







Chapter Thirty

When Jack had seen Roger at the funeral, he had told him that he was coming back to finish the tour. Jack had said that he enjoyed what he was doing but needed the opportunity to set the record straight with Lisa. If she didn't want anything to do with him, he would return to life as he knew it before the tour. At least he could bring closure to their relationship and move forward with his life.

When Jack arrived at the hotel in Knoxville, he immediately phoned Roger. He had one last thing he wanted to do. He needed to give Lisa a gift that was long overdue. Roger told him to meet him in Room 706, and Jack did as instructed. He gave Jack a warm welcome. "It's good to see you, Jack," Roger said, extending his hand. "I'm glad you gave it one more chance."

"I had to, Roger. I've got to know if I need to close this chapter of my life."

Roger nodded. "I understand," he said sympathetically.

"How's Lisa doing?"

"You'd be surprised," Roger said, using his spare key card to open Lisa's door.

Jack wasn't sure what that meant. He followed Roger into the room and placed the gift on Lisa's bed. "Thanks for doing this for me."

"You know, I'll never regret having Sid hire you for this tour. I honestly feel you and Lisa were meant for each other and . . ." He paused. "And if it doesn't work out, it won't be because we didn't try." Roger had a difficult time saying those ast few words. He had grown fond of Jack and appreciated his professionalism and good-natured spirit. Jack had a good heart.

The concert was set to begin in four hours. Jack thought he would take the opportunity to get some rest before it was time to leave. Roger had told him that Lisa was out getting an early dinner with her mother and Aunt Karen. She would have to return to her room to get some things before the performance. He kept his phone close, hoping she might call after seeing his gift.

He sprawled out on the bed and stuffed a couple of pillows behind his head. His flight from Denver had not been direct. There had been a short layover in Chicago, causing the day to seem rather long. In a matter of minutes, Jack was asleep in front of the television.

Lisa returned to her room. Her enthusiasm level was extremely high for tonight's performance. Knoxville had been circled in red on her calendar when the tour dates had first been announced. Upon entering her room, she stopped in the bathroom to brush her teeth. When she came out, she saw the guitar case on her bed. What is this? she wondered.

She picked up the red envelope that was lying on the case and opened it. It was a Valentine's Day card, which seemed odd given it was early summer. Her instincts told her it was from Jack, and the signature inside proved her right.

My Sweet Lisa,

The time I have spent with you I have cherished. Getting to know you has been a journey. Falling in love with you has been a dream. A dream I don't ever want to end.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Love,

Jack



She felt his sincerity and affection in the message. She clutched the card to her chest as if she were embedding his words into her heart. She found it touching that he had saved the card and gift all these years. There was no doubt that Jack's commitment to their love and their relationship was genuine and everlasting.

She opened the case and pulled out the Martin guitar. It was a thing of beauty. It brought a tear to her eye to realize that Jack had thought so much of her that Valentine's Day to give her something of such great meaning. It told her that Jack believed and was invested in her and her gift of music.

Lisa sat down on the bed and played a couple songs. She loved the feel, and she loved the sound. She placed the guitar back in the case, taking one more minute to admire the beautiful craftsmanship and think about the significance of this offering of love.

Jack awoke from his nap and checked his phone. He was disappointed that Lisa hadn't called or texted. He assumed her lack of a response was not a good sign. Apparently his gift didn't have the same significance it might have had five years earlier. He knew there was no guarantee that she would be moved by the thoughtfulness of his gift, but an acknowledgement that she had received it would have been nice.

Jack grabbed his camera bag. It was time to meet Roger in the lobby to drive to the concert. He noticed a piece of paper that had apparently been slid under the door. He picked it up and read the message. It was from Lisa. She wanted him to come to her dressing room before the concert so they could talk.

Upon arriving at the concert hall, Jack could tell that the atmosphere was different. From the passageways behind the stage, he could hear the festive and vocal atmosphere of the gathering crowd. When Roger had to reschedule the Knoxville concert, he was able to get the promoter to book a bigger venue. Lisa's concerts had been selling out, and Roger figured her home debut would draw an even bigger crowd than Memphis. He was right. The new 12,000-seat location hadn't sold out, but it had doubled the Memphis sales.

Jack located the door to Lisa's dressing room. He stood outside momentarily, somewhat hesitant to knock. He knew the discussion they would soon embark on could be a pivotal point in his life. The uncertainty of the moment caused him some anxiety.

Lisa answered the knock. "Jack, come in," she said, sounding somewhat cheerful. She closed the door and offered him a seat. "Do you hear that crowd out there?"

"It sounds amazing. Are you nervous at all?" Jack asked.

"Not about performing," she said, taking a seat on the couch a few feet from him. "I'm more nervous about what I want to say to you."

Lisa's comment set him on edge. He had mentally prepared himself for the worst, but now he was thinking that what she had to say might actually be positive.

"Jack, let me get to the point of why I wanted you to meet me here," she said tenderly. "What we shared in Maple Creek is something I will always cherish."

Jack listened intently. He remembered someone saying that you always talk about the good before you talk about the bad. He sensed Lisa had heard the same advice.

"I didn't like that you revealed to Sean something I shared with you in confidence--an intimate part of my life with which I trusted you."

Jack felt the heat from the spotlight. He realized the mistake he had made. If he could have had it to do over, he would have chosen differently. "I'm truly sorry about that, Lisa."

"I know you are, Jack. I realized a long time ago that you were not the type to maliciously do anything to hurt me. Unfortunately, the demons of my past wouldn't permit me to look at things logically. I lumped your actions into a familiar pattern of disappointment."

She moved closer to Jack and reached for his hand, holding it tenderly in hers. "Something very wonderful has happened in my life. It was something I almost believed unimaginable." She placed her other hand over the top of Jack's. "Because of this wonderful blessing in my life, I want to tell you that I no longer harbor any ill will. What I really want to say is, I forgive you."

Jack had not seen this coming. It was completely the opposite of what he had expected. He felt a lump form in his throat. A couple of tears ran down his cheek. Jack was feeling the full impact of Lisa's words. "Thank you."

There was a knock at the door. Roger stuck his head in and told Lisa "Two minutes.

"Thanks, Roger," she said with a nod. "Before I go, I have one more thing to say. There's something you need to know about that night in the hotel. My father's passing hit me very hard. It took from me any chance of reconciliation, any chance of redemption, and any chance that I might feel the love and pride that I had longed for from my father." She took a deep breath to collect herself. "I was mad. I felt cheated. I used you to unleash my pain. You were an easy target because of what happened with Sean."

Lisa stood. She had to go. "If you can ever find it in your heart to forgive me, I would be forever grateful. I feel really bad about my actions that night, and your forgiveness would mean the world to me."

Jack got up from where he was sitting. He took Lisa's hands in his and looked deep into her eyes. "I already have."

"You already have?"

"I was mad at first, but in my heart, I forgave you the next day."

Lisa's eyes began to fill with tears. "Not now," she said, trying to contain her emotions. She fought to keep her tears at bay. She hugged Jack tightly and whispered, "Thank you."

When she stepped back, Jack looked at her. "I told you--I love you no matter what."

"I love you too." Lisa's time was up, and she gave Jack a quick kiss before telling him she would see him in a few minutes. She directed him to a piece of paper on the table. "There's a letter over there I want you to read. It'll explain a lot." She turned toward the door but stopped before opening it, and then she turned back to face Jack.

"Nothing happened."

Jack wasn't sure what she was referring to.

"Nothing happened. I told Trevor he needed to leave if he wanted to keep his job."

Jack nodded once. "Thank you for your honesty."

Lisa shot Jack a kiss and was gone. He picked up the paper Lisa had left for him. He noticed it was a letter from her father. He read its contents, and it all made sense. He agreed that this was a blessing in Lisa's life--one she had been awaiting for a very long time.

Lisa took the stage to thunderous applause. Signs saying "We Love You" and "Marry Me" dotted the audience. She sat on a stool with the Martin guitar held firmly in her grasp. While she waited for the applause to die down, she noticed that Jack had made his way to the side of the stage just out of view of the audience.

"I want to thank you all for the warm homecoming celebration," she began, and the applause started again. She waited. She nodded to her mother and Karen in the front row. "There are people here tonight who are a big part of my life, and I want to send them my love and thank them for the role they've had in my life. They know who they are."

The applause continued after every line she uttered. "How many . . ." she stopped, allowing a few more seconds for the audience to settle down. "How many of you know the awesome power of forgiveness?" she said, raising her hand. A multitude of people followed suit, and hoots and hollers spread throughout the crowd. She looked at Jack and gave him a warm smile.

"Tonight, I want to deviate from my usual opening song. There is a special person in my life, and we both know the power of forgiveness."

The stage went black except for one spotlight shining on Lisa. Her thoughts took her back to Lucinda's. She was grateful for the opportunity Judy had given her and for Karen believing in her. She was thankful that Jack had come into her life at a time when she'd needed to regain her faith and trust in people. She appreciated her father's heartfelt words, which dramatically changed her outlook on life, gave her the ability to forgive Jack, and eliminated the burden of loss she had been carrying for all those years. Finally, her thoughts took her back to the night she introduced Jack to her world of music and the love she expressed to him on the park bench during a warm summer night in Maple Creek.

"I want to dedicate this song to that special person. He is the beacon of light which illuminates my life. It's called 'Kiss from a

S 7 S

© Copyright 2020 Highcountryauthor (noisivid1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2235228-I-Love-You-No-Matter-What---Ch-21-30