*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2235901-I-Love-You-No-Matter-What---Chapter-1-10
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Family · #2235901
A novel of a high school girl facing emotional abandonment, tragedy, love and forgiveness.

I Love You No Matter What

Chapter One

Lisa Taylor's heart raced as she waited for Coach Swindell to call the final name of the volleyball player that would make the Horizon High School varsity team. Two juniors had already had their names called and Lisa hoped she would be the third. She had done everything that was expected of her over the last two weeks of practice and making the team, she felt, would give her father a reason to be proud of her. Lisa craved his approval, yet her worthiness in her father's eyes was like chasing the wind; it wasn't attainable.

As she surveyed the remaining players, it didn't seem possible any of the others would have a chance over her. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

"Before I announce the last player selected for varsity," Coach Swindell began, "I want to thank all of you for the incredible dedication and work ethic you've displayed during practice. This decision is never an easy thing."

Lisa rubbed her sweaty palms together. She wanted the suspense to be over. Just tell us, she thought.

Coach Swindell continued, "I want you to keep in mind that movement from the JV team to varsity can be a fluid thing. We are constantly evaluating players play and our goal is always to field the best players to give us the best opportunity to win."

Coach Swindell glanced at the remaining players. "So, with that said, the final player for our varsity team and season opener against Cleveland High is Lisa Taylor. The rest of you will represent our junior varsity team."

Lisa clenched her fists in front of her, in restrained jubilation. The hard work she had put into this effort, paid off. Now, she hoped her father might feel at least half the joy and excitement for her accomplishment, she was experiencing.

There was an exchange of high fives between the varsity players as they walked to the locker room. Lisa skipped a shower, gathered her things, and hurried home. The good news she had couldn't wait.

Lisa pulled into the driveway and saw her father's car sitting in front of the garage door. Good, Dad's home, she thought. She ran in the front door and hurried to the kitchen where she could hear her mother rummaging through some pans in the cabinet.

"Where's Dad," she asked, excitedly.

"I think he's in the garage." Her mother, Kate, looked at Lisa a little perplexed. "What's going on?"

Lisa threw her backpack on the kitchen counter. "I have good news. Really good news," she exclaimed.

"What is it?" Kate asked.

"Let's go to the garage so I can tell both of you at the same time." Lisa ran down the hall toward the garage, leaving her mother standing in the kitchen.

"Wait 'till I get there," her mother, hollered.

Lisa threw open the door to the garage. She found her father under the hood of his '67 Chevelle.

"Dad," she hollered, as the Beach Boys blared from an old, portable radio on the workbench. "I have some news."

Dan withdrew from under the hood and turned down the radio, as Kate joined them in the garage. "What did you say?"

"I have some good news," Lisa repeated, excitedly. She looked at her mother and then back at her father. "I made the varsity team."

Dan looked at Kate somewhat bewildered.

"You know the varsity volleyball team," she quickly chimed.

"Of course," Dan responded. "Well that's really good. Congratulations."

"I was one of only three juniors to make the team," Lisa said, proudly.

Dan tapped the handle of a screwdriver slowly back and forth in his palm. "I'm sure you deserved it."

Lisa felt her father's lukewarm reception to the news. She had hoped maybe this time would be different, but he had never played competitive sports and didn't seem to have an interest in knowing about them. If it didn't have the heartbeat of an engine it just wasn't important.

"Dan," Kate suggested, "You really need to see her play."

"I will," he replied, "Just let me know when." Dan climbed back under the hood.

"I have a game this Thursday," Lisa interjected.

"This Thursday," he repeated. There was a pause as Lisa anticipated his response. "Lisa could you hand me the socket wrench off the workbench?"

Lisa grabbed the wrench and handed it to him.

"That's a crescent wrench," he muttered. "I need the socket wrench."

She went back to the workbench and surveyed her choices, before handing it to her father.

Dan took one look at the tool before climbing out from under the hood and turning toward the workbench. He grabbed a tool and held it up for Lisa to see. "This is a socket wrench," he articulated slowly. "What you handed me is Channellock."

The pride Lisa had been feeling, quickly evaporated into shame.

"You haven't said anything about Lisa's game this Thursday," reminded Kate.

"Yeah, this Thursday," Dan sighed. "I have a vintage car club meeting that night. Maybe I can make another game."

Lisa pushed past her mother and went into the house.

Kate's exasperation began to show. "Can't you be a little more supportive than that Dan? She came into the house so excited and couldn't wait to share the news with you, and in a few short minutes you managed to take that all away."

"You know I have the club meeting every third Friday of the month."

Kate nodded. "I know, but would it hurt you to miss one for your daughter?"

"I'm the president," he insisted.

Kate knew she was fighting a losing battle. "Well you enjoy your meeting and I will be at the game this Friday supporting our daughter," she said, turning to leave.

"I will make a game," Dan responded, unconvincingly, as Kate entered the house.



Lisa retreated to her bedroom. She grabbed her acoustic guitar and sat on the bed strumming together a medley of songs. She hoped the solace music had always provided her, would help fill the emptiness in her heart.

Two songs into the medley she stopped to tune a couple of strings and immediately launched into Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles. It was a song she found uplifting and her spirits needed it. She thought it ironic while singing along to the song, that the music of the '60's and '70' was a love she had developed from her father's love of those musical decades. It seemed to be the only thing they shared.

Lisa stopped in the middle of the song when she heard a knock at the door. Slowly the door opened and her mother appeared.

"How are you doing?" she asked, softly. Kate entered and sat on the corner of the bed.

Lisa rested her arms on the side of the guitar as it lay cradled in her lap. "I'm okay."

"You don't seem okay."

Lisa looked up. Her hazel eyes were tinged with red and a few tears began to appear. "I just wish he would be proud of me."

Kate placed her hand on Lisa's leg. "He said he's going to come to your game."

"This Thursday's game?" Lisa said, in disbelief.

"Well." Kate paused, "Not this Thursday's game, but one of your games."

"Why should I believe that? He hasn't been to one of my games in two years."

Kate knew she was right. "I think it will be different this time. Just give him a chance and let's see what happens," she said, trying to be optimistic.

Lisa was exhausted and defeated. She was not interested in debating this topic with her mother. She tried to maintain a glimmer of hope that her mother was right. "Okay," she said, hoping her agreement would end the conversation.

Kate stood up. "Dinner will be in fifteen minutes."

"I'm not hungry," she responded.

"I understand. Let me know if you want me to bring you something later."

Lisa nodded and Kate turned to leave.

"Mom," Lisa said.

Kate looked back at her daughter. "Yes," she replied.

"You played basketball and ran track in high school."

"I did," Kate responded. "And as I recall I was pretty good." A slight smile appeared on Kate's face from thinking about those days.

Lisa set the guitar on the bed. "What did you like most about it?"

"Well there wasn't just one thing," Kate began, "The camaraderie of being part of a team; representing your high school; trying to be your best; and of course, showcasing my skills for--- "

Kate stopped short of finishing her thought.

"For what?" Lisa asked.

Kate felt trapped by her words. She wished she had thought her answer through before spewing her random thoughts.

"For what?" Lisa insisted.

"I enjoyed showcasing my skills for your Grandpa Fleming," she said, somberly.

"Did he attend a lot of your games?"

Kate wished Lisa hadn't asked her that question. She knew there was no way for her not to answer. "He and your Grandma Fleming attended all my home games," she said, her voice trailing off.

There was silence in the room for what seemed like an eternity, before Lisa spoke. "You're lucky, Mom. I wish I knew what that felt like."

Kate was stunned. "I'm so sorry Lisa," she said. She went over and gave Lisa a hug and stroked her hair.

Lisa whispered. "It's okay, Mom. I just needed to know. I'll be fine."

Kate broke their embrace and looked with teary eyes at her daughter. "I love you and I will always be there to support you."

"I know," she responded.





Chapter Two





The morning light rain that fell in Lakeville, Tennessee could not dampen Lisa's spirits as she prepared for school. Today, the Horizon volleyball team was taking their undefeated record and facing off against their biggest rival, Warfield High.

Practice this past week had been intense and Lisa couldn't remember a time when she had so many bruises on her body. But the hard work and sacrifice had earned her a place as a starter. It couldn't have come at a better time, considering a Horizon win, would keep Warfield from tying them at the top of the conference.

Lisa ran a brush through her long dark brown hair as she dwelled on the importance of tonight's game. It was a home game so they would have the familiarity of their own gymnasium, as well as, the crowd noise as an advantage,

Thoughts of her father not being in attendance tried to infiltrate her thoughts of game preparation, though she tried to keep them at bay. This was a good day and she did not need negative thoughts bringing her down. She took solace in knowing that her mother would be there.

"Lisa," she heard her mother holler from downstairs, "Emily is here."

Lisa grabbed her backpack and hurried down the stairs.

"Hey Em," she said. "A little wet out?"

"Not bad," Emily responded. "Big day today. Are you ready?"

"A few butterflies, but oh yeah, I'm ready."

Emily lived in the same neighborhood, about a block away. Lisa and Emily had been best friends since third grade and they were inseparable. They confided everything to each other, so Emily was well aware of Lisa's heartache with her father,

"You're going to be great," Emily said, nodding approval.

"We've got a minute," Lisa said, "Come on up and see what I did with my room."

"Did you rearrange it again?"

"Just come up and see," replied Lisa.

They ascended the stairs and disappeared down the hall.



Kate poured herself a cup of coffee and joined Dan at the kitchen table as he was finishing breakfast.

"Busy day today?" asked Kate.

"Interviews today," Dan replied. "I'm trying to get another mechanic on board to keep up with demand."

"I thought you were trying to hire a body man."

"I did. Two days ago." Dan shook his head. "I just can't believe that when I started this little vintage car restoration shop ten years ago, it would have grown like it has."

Kate smiled. "You have a good reputation in this town. People know you're going to give them good work at a fair price. Just remember though, the reason you hire more people should be so you don't have to spend so much time at work. Life is about balance."

"Where are you going with this?" asked Dan, skeptically.

Kate sighed. "I have to meet with a couple of the women who are part of the prayer team. Do you remember Val from church? Red hair, late fifties, always sits near the front of the church."

"Yeah, I think so."



"She has just been diagnosed with cancer and we're going to pray for her tonight and help keep her in a positive frame of mind."

"That's nice, but why do I sense there is more," asked Dan.

"And I won't be able to attend Lisa's game tonight. You really should go. This is a big game and she's starting for the first time. One of us needs to be there," pleaded Kate.

Dan put his coffee down. "What time is the game?"

Six o'clock."

Dan tapped his fingers on the table while contemplating the request. "My last interview is at five. I can try to hurry it along and still make part of the game."

Kate was glad to hear Dan say he would try, but she wasn't holding her breath. "If you can't make it to the game, you definitely have to be there to pick her up."

Lisa entered the kitchen, with Emily in tow, just in time to hear the end of her parent's conversation. "So, you're picking me up?" she said to her father, somewhat surprised."

"I have a commitment tonight, dear," Kate responded.

"Are you going to come early and watch me play?"

Dan nodded. "When I finish up with an interview I have, I'll be there to watch you play," he stated.

Lisa fought to contain her excitement. For once, her father would see her play and the thought of him being in attendance was uplifting.

"You'll be surprised," said Kate, directing her comment to Dan. "She's really good."

"Thanks Dad. This is so exciting. You won't regret it. It's going to be great and we're going to win. I promise." Lisa turned to Emily trying to temper her giddiness. "We'd better get going."

"Bye Mrs. Taylor. Bye Mr. Taylor," said Emily.

"Bye Mom. See you tonight, Dad."

"Play your best and good luck. Have a good day girls," replied Kate.

As they left through the front door Emily credulously said to Lisa, "No pressure there."

"What do you mean?"

"You just promised your father a win tonight."

Lisa opened the passenger door of Emily's white Toyota. The rain had subsided and she stopped before getting inside. "I know. I was just so excited that he was coming I didn't know what I was doing."

Emily agreed. "I'll say."



All day long, Lisa's classes were a blur. Her ability to concentrate was clouded by thoughts of the upcoming game and the likelihood her father would be in attendance. By the time she took to the gymnasium floor for warm-ups, the mental fatigue of thinking about and anticipating the game all day, finally dissipated and her adrenaline surged. She was determined to have the game of her life.

As both teams went through their pre-game routine, Lisa occasionally scanned the bleachers, hoping to spot her father. It was ten minutes until six and she knew, realistically, it was too soon to expect him to have arrived, but she wanted to know the exact moment he was there. She knew his presence would elevate her game.

Once the game started, Lisa's full attention was on the game and timeouts became her only opportunity to try and spot her father. Fifteen minutes into the game, turned into twenty minutes and then thirty minutes, but no sign of her father,

"Please," she begged, under her breath, "please walk through that door."

Time was running out. Soon, they were starting the final game in the match and her father still had not made an entrance.

Something nagged at Lisa to face the reality, he was not going to make it in time to see her play. There was a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, but she refused to let it diminish her hopes. As long as there was a point left to be made, he could still see her play, she reasoned.

Lisa's team was up by three and had just won the serve. It was game point, and the team's best server twirled the ball in her hands, contemplating where to direct her serve. Lisa secretly hoped she would hit it in the net and buy her some additional time. Instead, the ball zipped across the net, split two defenders, and hit just short of the back line to seal the win for Lisa's team.

Lisa's joy at winning and maintaining their undefeated record, was one of tempered jubilation. Through all the hugs and high fives she shared with coaches and teammates, her focus was on her father, another lost opportunity, and the disappointment she knew all too well.

Emily came down from that stands and gave Lisa a big hug, though she could tell by the way Lisa reciprocated that something was wrong.

Emily pushed her shoulder length blond hair behind her ear. "He didn't come," she assumed, by the distant feeling Lisa was projecting.

Lisa shook her head no.

"I'm sorry," offered Emily.

"I should have known this was going to happen."

"Do you want to stay at my house tonight?

"I'm afraid I would be too much of a downer tonight," replied Lisa.

"We'd have lots of fun and it would probably cheer you up,"

"Em you're the best, but I just can't tonight," Lisa said, casting her eyes downward.

Emily understood. "Okay, well then call me later,"

"Alright."

Lisa went to the locker room and sat in silence. She had told herself not to get her hopes up, but it had been an impossible request.

Slowly Lisa removed her game uniform. She was too tired and emotionally drained to take a shower. Instead of putting her street clothes on she slipped into her practices clothes and stuffed everything else into her backpack. She walked through the front entrance into the glow of the streetlights and awaited her father's arrival. Every time a car pulled in, she strained to see if it was him.

Several of the players asked if she needed a ride as they left in their own cars or with their parents, but she told them her father was coming. Before long there were no more cars in the parking lot.

Lisa grew frustrated. "Why Dad, why?" she muttered, as tears began to form. She pulled out her cell phone and called her father. It went to his voicemail. "Hi. Just calling to see where you are." She waited five more minutes, which seemed like an eternity, and called again, only to have it go to voicemail.

Lisa wasn't sure what to do. She didn't want to call and bother her mother. She could call Emily, but Emily was already home and she didn't want her to go back out again. She considered walking home. She had walked home many times before, but never at night. Her mother had always discouraged Lisa from venturing out by herself, at night, even though Lakeville was considered a safe, low crime community. She could hear her mother say, "Predictable is preventable." It was a mantra her mother often repeated.

Lisa was torn. She felt she had run out of options. Standing there waiting was agonizing. Perhaps she thought, if she walked her father would see her along the route. Walking, she reasoned, would also give her time to sort through the hurt and abandonment she was feeling and the bitterness of her father failing her, again. It was decided. She threw her backpack over her shoulders and set out into the darkness.
























Chapter Three





The night air was humid and sticky against Lisa's skin and she couldn't wait to get home and shower. She kept a brisk pace, as she scanned any passing car for her father's vehicle. She checked her phone as she crossed a side street, but no missed calls or texts.

Four blocks into her walk she stopped to tie her shoe, when a vehicle pulled up to the curb. She looked, instinctively expecting it to be her father. Instead it was a newer model, black pickup truck and the male driver yelled out through the open passenger window, "Need a ride?"

Lisa stood and uttered "No," before quickly turning to leave.

"Is that you Lisa?"

Lisa stopped and looked back toward the vehicle.

"It's Ken."

Lisa cautiously approached the vehicle trying to peer into the dark truck cab, to identify this person that knew her.

"Ken Sinclair. My dad used to work for your father," he said, in a friendly manner.

"Oh, hi Ken," she said, tepidly. Ken was a college senior. She had known him for a few years but not very well. She would see him at the barbecues and various parties her father would host for all his employees and their families.

"Can I give you a lift somewhere?"

She looked up and down the street in one last attempt to spot her father's vehicle, as a light rain began to fall. "Sure," she replied, thinking it would be a safe, dry place. She opened the door and scurried into the front passenger seat.

"I guess that was good timing on my part."

"Yeah, thanks," Lisa replied.

"He put the car in drive and pulled away from the curb. "Where to?"

"I was just headed home. My Dad was supposed to pick me up."

"Does he know you're walking home?"

Each time Ken turned to say something to Lisa, she could detect an odor that smelled like beer on his breath. "No, he doesn't" she said looking straight ahead.

"If you don't mind, I have one quick stop on the way. Should only take a minute."

Lisa didn't know what to say other than, "Okay."

They engaged in small talk, before he asked how high school was going.

"I'm on the volleyball team. We beat Warfield High tonight," she stated.

"That's good. I never liked Warfield when I was in school," he said, his voice a little escalated.

Lisa added. "I'm the only starting junior."

He patted her leg and said, "I bet you're really good."

Lisa felt strangely uncomfortable with him touching her. She moved closer to the door and wished she hadn't agreed to his offer of a ride.

Ken pulled off the main road and drove into an old business park. Some of the buildings were vacant and dark.

"Where are we going?" Lisa said nervously.

Ken went around to the back of the first row of buildings. "I just have to pick something up. It'll only take a minute."

Lisa's heart raced as she feared something wasn't right.

He pulled up near some large dumpsters, put the truck in park and turned off the ignition. He undid his seatbelt and instead of getting out of the truck, he slid over in the seat. He pulled Lisa to him and tried to kiss her. She instinctively slapped him hard across the cheek and reached to undo her seat belt. This infuriated him and he lunged at her pinning her up against the door.

"No!" Lisa screamed, as she struggled to get away.



A bright flash of lightning lit up the sky, followed by a loud crack of thunder that roared against the night. This was followed by a sudden gust of wind and a torrent of rain that demanded attention.

A male night custodian, in his late fifties, looked out the window at the incredible downpour and noticed the black pickup parked by the dumpsters. He watched for several minutes, but through the heavy rain he couldn't tell if anyone was inside.

At first he thought maybe it was some high school kids up to no good. He went in search of a flashlight and umbrella. He returned a few minutes later and put his jacket on, before looking out the window one more time.

To his surprise the truck was gone. He grabbed the flashlight and umbrella and stood in the doorway waiting for the rain to let up, before going outside to investigate. Maybe they were secretly discarding items in the dumpster, he thought. That seemed to be a common occurrence.

He swept the beam back and forth from the doorway and after a couple of minutes the rains intensity had diminished enough to venture out. Walking toward the dumpsters he looked for any sign that would explain why the truck parked there.

He stopped short of the dumpsters when he heard what he believed to be crying. "Hello," he hollered.

The sound stopped. He moved closer to the dumpsters, listening intently over the sound of the rain striking the umbrella. "Hello," he said again as he walked around the dumpster.

The man stopped abruptly. The flashlight cast its' glow on Lisa huddled on the ground; her backpack held in front of her as if to avoid detection. "Are you alright?" the man asked.

Lisa lowered her backpack. She was soaked and it appeared in the beam of light that her white t-shirt was dirty and torn. Her eyes were open wide and registered fear.

"It's okay," the man said, reassuringly. "Let me help you." He handed Lisa the umbrella and she took it hesitantly. He removed his jacket. "Put this on."

He turned his back to her and she stood and placed her arms into the sleeves. She was clothed in only her underwear and the torn t-shirt. She zipped the jacket that hung down halfway to her knees and pushed up one of the sleeves to expose her hand so she could hold the umbrella.

"If you're ready, hand me your backpack and we'll go inside."

Lisa did as he asked. He walked alongside her telling her everything was okay now. "I'm going to get you some help."

The safety of the office still did not allow Lisa to put her guard down. She cowered in a corner of a short couch with her feet up and the jacket pulled down to her ankles.

The man dialed 911 and reported his situation to the dispatcher. The dispatcher recorded all the information and asked the man for Lisa's name. "Just a minute," he responded. "They want to know your name."

"Lisa," she said, barely audible.

"What's your last name?"

Lisa crossed her arms. "Taylor," she stated, her eyes cast to the floor. "I should never have let him give me a ride. She wiped her tears on the sleeve of the jacket.

"Did you know this person?" the man asked.

"Yes. I was walking home and he offered me a ride."

The custodian relayed everything Lisa said to the dispatcher.

"Get his name," the dispatcher said.

"What's his name Lisa?"

She hesitated and then softly said, "Ken Sinclair."

"Ken Sinclair," he repeated to the dispatcher.

When the conversation concluded, he said, "Send someone right away," before hanging up.

"Can I get you some water," the man offered.

Lisa shook her head no and then quietly asked, "Where's my backpack."

The man produced the backpack from behind the desk and handed it to her.

The outside of the pack was soaked. She unzipped the front flap and retrieved her cell phone. It was damp, but appeared to be working. She called her mother. "Mom," she pined, before breaking into uncontrollable sobbing.

"Lisa, Lisa," Kate called out from the other end.

The man took the phone from Lisa's shaking hands and identified himself. "This is Jim Byers. Your daughter is safe and I have notified the police."

"What do you mean you've notified the police?" What's going on? Where's my daughter?" Kate demanded.

"Mrs. Taylor your daughter is safe. You need to come right now. She's at Concise Solutions in the business park, 1191 W. Sprinter Drive."

"But what happened? Why is she there?"

"I don't know," Jim responded. "Just get here, she needs you.

"Tell her I'm on my way." Kate ended the call and immediately phoned Dan.

"Hello," said Dan.

"Where are you? Didn't you pick up Lisa?"

Dan sensed urgency in Kate's voice. "I'm just leaving the school. I got here a little late."

"How could you?" Kate said in exasperation. There was a lot more Kate felt like saying, but now was not the time. "Lisa's at Concise Solutions in the business park. The police have been called and I'm headed there right now."

"What happened?"

"I don't know, but I can't talk to you right now. I have to go." Kate hung up the phone and went to the garage.



The first officer to arrive at the business park was Officer Yolanda Buell, a twenty year veteran of the Lakeville Police Department. She was the first black female assigned to the department's Special Crimes Unit, seven years prior.

Jim welcomed her in and for the next several minutes explained everything he knew to the officer in the hallway just down from the office.

"Where is she?" Officer Buell asked

Jim pointed to the office and said, "In there."

"If I have any questions I'll let you know, so don't wander too far away." Officer Buell entered the office and greeted Lisa.

"Hello Lisa. I'm Officer Buell. I'm here to help you, honey." She sat down in a chair a good distance from Lisa, to give her some space. "Can you tell me what happened?'

Lisa wiped the tears from her eyes. Her chest heaved as she tried to compose herself. She took a deep breath. "I was walking home from my volleyball game -----"

"Lisa, Lisa," came her mother's cry from down the hall.

Officer Buell got up and went to the door. "In here," she said, giving a slight wave to Kate.

Kate ran down the hall. "What's going on?" she asked the officer.

"That's what we're about to find out," she said, motioning to the corner where Lisa was seated.

Lisa jumped to her feet as her mother entered the room. She couldn't contain the tears she had fought to suppress. They embraced and Kate asked, "What happened?"

"Why don't you have a seat next to your daughter?" the officer suggested to Kate

Kate did as instructed and Lisa clutched her mother's hand for support. The tears continued to stream down Lisa's face as Officer Buell patiently waited for Lisa to compose herself.

Lisa felt the gentle squeeze of her mother's hand in hers. "It's okay, Lisa," Kate said, "I'm here now."

"When you're ready Lisa, please take us through the events of tonight," said Officer Buell.

Slowly she walked them through the entire account beginning with her father's failure to pick her up, and her decision to walk home. She covered everything in detail, except the attack. She wanted to spare her mother the specifics of the horror she had just experienced. It was too humiliating to repeat.



Outside another officer arrived on scene the same time Dan had pulled up to the business.

"What's going on here officer," Dan demanded to know. "Where's my daughter?"

"Take it easy. I believe she's inside with Officer Buell who's getting her statement."

Dan made a move for the door.

"No, sir. I need you to stay out here," he demanded.

"What happened to my daughter?" Dan hollered.

The officer implored Dan to calm down, "The report we got was an assault."

"Assault!" repeated Dan. "What do you mean assault? Is she hurt?"

"That's all we know for sure right now," the officer said. "We'll no more after Officer Buell talks with your daughter."

Dan pointed his finger and through clenched teeth stated, "You better hope you get this person first, before I do."

The officer brushed aside Dan's comments. "What would better serve us right now is for you to focus so I can ask you some questions. Did you know where your daughter was tonight?"

Dan looked at the officer's nameplate. "Well, Officer Nelson, she had a volleyball game at the high school?"

"And where were you tonight?"

"I was interviewing someone at my business for a mechanic position."

"What time?" the officer demanded,

My appointment was late. It didn't start until after five-thirty, I think," Dan stated. "Can I go in and see my daughter now?"

"She'll be coming out shortly and you can talk to her then." He continued. "When did your interview conclude and when did you leave your business?"

Dan didn't understand what all this had to do with her daughter being assaulted. "I remember when I got in the car it was seven-forty. I lost track of time. I hurried to the school because I had to pick up my daughter," he said. "I didn't know she was getting a ride with someone else."

"From what I've been told by dispatch, your daughter was walking home when someone pulled over and picked her up."

"Walking home?" Suddenly Kate's words lingered in his head: You have to be there to pick her up.

"She began walking until apparently, someone gave her a ride."

Officer Nelson's words were a gut punch to Dan. He didn't know if the hostility he harbored toward the assailant, was greater than the bitter disappointment in himself for not being there tonight when Lisa was counting on him. This whole thing could have been avoided if he had been a little more responsible, he thought.

Just then Officer Buell, Kate and Lisa emerged from the building and Officer Buell opened the back door of the police car for Lisa to get in.

"Lisa," Dan said, as he rushed over to the vehicle.

Kate interceded. "No, Dan. She's not ready to face you."

"What happened?"

"Lisa and I are going to the hospital with Officer Buell. You need to follow us in your car and I can come back and get mine later."

"Why the hospital? What's going on?

Kate had tears forming in her eyes. "Lisa has to go in for an examination. She was sexually assaulted."

"No. No. No." Dan yelled. "I have to see her."

Officer Buell spoke up and said, "We have to be going Mr. Taylor."

"Follow us," Kate said, and she got in the backseat with Lisa.



Kate held Lisa's hand as they traveled to the hospital. They were quietly lost in their own thoughts, which were punctuated by the occasional radio traffic emanating from the scanner. Lisa stared out the window and thought about how her life might be impacted. Would she be able to continue playing volleyball? How would she face people at school? It was obvious that only one person needed to know about what happened before the whole school would know.

As the patrol car slowed for a stoplight, Lisa stole a quick glimpse of her mother, who was quietly looking out the window. Her brown hair was collar length with blonde highlights. She had once balanced the rigors of a job with raising a daughter, until four years ago. Financially, they were in a position that allowed her to be a stay-at home mom and devote her time to volunteer work in the community.

Lisa wondered what she might be thinking. Was her mother mad at her? Disappointed? Hurt? No, she couldn't be mad at her, Lisa reasoned. This was Dad's fault, and she wasn't to blame, she reminded herself. Her mother loved her, and she was her only child. There were some advantages to being an only child, but it could be difficult too. She knew her mother had wanted another child, but after a miscarriage when Lisa was about two, she felt prompted to never get pregnant again. Losing a child, even when you never knew that child, carried a huge emotional weight, she had told Lisa. Kate felt responsible, but the doctor had told her that there was nothing she could have done differently that would have prevented the miscarriage.

Lisa looked at her mother's hands, which were folded in her lap. She was slowly rubbing one thumb on top of the other. Maybe she was feeling like today she had lost another child. Lisa's mother had always wrapped a protective cocoon around her. She wasn't supportive of her dating, and on the rare occasions when she was allowed to go to a dance or a movie, she had to be home by 10:30 p.m. Now all that didn't seem to matter.

The patrol car came to a stop at the emergency entrance, and Officer Buell got out and opened Lisa's door and then Kate's. Lisa noticed her father pull his SUV into a nearby parking spot and then get out.

Lisa's hands began to tremble, and her breathing quickened as they entered through the first set of doors. What if she ran into someone she knew inside? Again, she hung her head low while avoiding eye contact with anyone in her immediate vicinity.

When Officer Buell told the emergency room nurse why they were there, a team of two nurses sprang into action. They grabbed a wheelchair, had Lisa sit in it, and then wheeled her into an open room. They explained all the procedures to her and asked her some personal questions about the assault. Lisa offered nothing more than what she had told Officer Buell.

When the exam was concluded, Officer Buell released Lisa to her parents. She told Kate and Dan she would be in contact for some follow-up questioning and would keep them apprised of developments. "Thank you, Officer Buell," Kate said sincerely. "Thank you for your compassion." Dan echoed the same sentiments, and they departed for home.

A dark cloud of guilt hung over Dan. The person he was interviewing that evening, called to say he was running late and rather than rescheduling, Dan said he would wait for him. To make matters worse, he had left his cell phone in his car, so Lisa's calls had gone unanswered. The blame rested entirely with him, and the cost of that mistake haunted him.

"Lisa, I'm sorry," was all Dan could muster as he looked at Lisa through the rearview mirror.

"I can't talk to you right now," she said, sternly.

"Kate interceded. "Let's just get home, Dan."



When they arrived home, Lisa told her mother that she was going to take a shower. She didn't normally lock the bathroom door, but today it seemed natural. It seemed necessary. She removed the hospital gown she was given. Her clothes had been confiscated as evidence.

She felt the water temperature before stepping in. The force of the water penetrated her tiredness. No matter how much the warm water ran over her skin, it couldn't wash away the shame. She had to live with the fact that she would forever be linked to him in a way that repulsed her. He had stolen her innocence, and she could never get it back. That thought made her chest heave, and deep, mournful sobs emptied from her already hollow soul, like sands through an hourglass. She slumped to the shower floor, folded her arms across her chest, and placed her forehead against her knees. The water pelted her naked body as thoughts of the attack came rushing back. "Why?" she cried out. "Why?" Her tears were indistinguishable from the water running across her face.

She stayed in that position, gently rocking back and forth, until the hot water turned cold. She slowly got out of the shower and toweled off. As the steam dissipated from the mirror she caught a glimpse of herself. She immediately turned away. For that fleeting moment, her eyes saw the reflection of a damaged soul, and it repulsed her. The pain and humiliation she was feeling, she couldn't escape. But the shame and emptiness she saw etched on her face, she could avoid.

Lisa felt so alone, so violated. She was exhausted, and she needed to sleep. The usual tank top and shorts she wore to bed were replaced with full-length pajama bottoms, socks, a T-shirt, and a sweatshirt. She wanted very little of her skin to be exposed; she didn't in any way want to feel sexy. She retreated into a shell of clothing.

Lisa laid down in bed and pulled the covers up to her chin. She kept a dimly lit night-light on the nightstand next to her bed. Sleep would not come easy. A parade of thoughts marched through her head as she fought not to think about what had happened. It was difficult because one part of her mind needed to reason why it had occurred, while the other part tried to keep those thoughts at bay. It was an inner struggle that would replay itself for weeks to come.

She noticed a gentle tap at the door and the soft tone of her mother's voice saying "Lisa."

"Come in, Mom," she said, pushing the covers down to her waist.

"Don't you want something to eat?"

"I'm not hungry. I'm tired. I just want to sleep."

Kate sat on the edge of the bed and stroked Lisa's hair. "I wish I could take away all the pain."

"I know you do."

They sat in silence for a couple of minutes while Kate continued to stroke her hair. It was comforting to Lisa, and she could feel her mother's deep love and concern.

"Your father is very sorry, Lisa," she said, breaking the silence.

"I'm sure he is," she replied sarcastically. "He's never cared about me. If he had, he would have been there tonight and none of this would have happened."

"Don't say that," Kate commanded. "Your father would never wish any harm on you. He does care for you, and this is a significant struggle for him. That boy will get everything he deserves for doing this to you, and your father will be there to see that it happens." Kate paused for a moment. "This is tearing your father up inside. I have never seen him like this, sweetheart. We only want the best for you, and we will be there to support you in every way we can."

"Sure," Lisa replied, trying to sound agreeable. "Can we just end this? I don't want to talk about it anymore. I want to get some sleep."

Kate wanted to say more, but she realized that it was not the right time. Lisa needed to process some of the thoughts she was having, and it may take time for her to more accurately rationalize the situation. "I'm keeping you home from school for a while," Kate said. "It will be good for both of us. I would just worry about you every day. I can let Emily know to not come by in the morning."

"I wasn't planning on going, Mom. I just can't face people yet. Some of my friends, including Em, have been texting me to call them. I keep thinking that they know, but I don't know how they would. I just can't talk to anyone right now." She sighed.

"Of course you can't, sweetheart. It's understandable." Kate pushed Lisa's hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead. She got up and walked to the door. "Let me know if there is anything you need."

She paused, and gazing at her daughter, offered a heartfelt

"I love you."

"I love you too, Mom," Lisa said, pursing her lips in a smile.

Chapter Four

The next day, Lisa awoke after very little sleep. She didn't feel like getting out of bed, though it was 9:45 a.m. She checked her phone and noticed she had more texts. She texted some of them back and said that she wasn't feeling well and had stayed home from school. Still, no one had come right out and indicated that they'd heard about what had happened. She figured it would only be a matter of time.

It was Friday, and Lisa reasoned that if this day ended and word had not gotten around, the weekend would be quiet and she wouldn't have to deal with it. That night, Emily called to say she heard some disturbing news and wanted to know if it was true. "Lisa, someone told me that something bad may have happened to you after the volleyball game?" she said, concerned.

"What do mean bad?" countered Lisa, fearing Emily knew.

"You may have been sexually assaulted," she said, empathetically. "Please say it's not true?"

"Who told you that?"

"Jake Hollander called me. He wanted to ask if I knew, because he was concerned about you and he wanted me to ask if you were doing okay."

Lisa rubbed her forehead. She forgot that Jake, who was a good friend of theirs, was the son of the Chief of Police.

There was a long pause before Emily said, softly, "Lisa."

"It's true," Lisa said, defeated.

"So are you okay?" asked Emily.

Lisa winced. "How many people know?" she asked, somehow hoping the genie wasn't completely out of the bottle.

Emily indicated she hadn't told anyone and was uncertain if Jake had said anything. A knot formed in Lisa's stomach; it twisted and caused a nauseous feeling. She had expected all along that it would only be a matter of time, and that time had arrived.

"Em, I just can't talk about it right now. Please keep this a secret, and when I'm doing better, I'll explain." Her voice sounded deflated.

"Do you want me to come over and be with you?"

"I'm just not ready to have anyone around, she replied, solemnly.

Empathy coursed through Emily, and she felt helpless compassion for her friend. "Call or text me if you need anything. I'm so sorry, Lisa," she said softly.

"I will. Thanks, Em."

Lisa wondered how long it might be before she would feel able to return to school. Her biggest concern was losing her starting spot on the volleyball team if she didn't return to school next week. Right now, though, her heart wasn't into volleyball. It wasn't into much of anything.

Her thoughts drifted to her father. She blamed him for turning her world upside down. These were supposed to be some of the best years of her life and now it was looking like they would be the worst. Why? What did she do to deserve this? It wasn't right, she thought. Tears began to pool in her eyes, and she immediately wiped them away with her fingers. She didn't want tears, and she didn't want the pain associated with them.

Sunday evening, Lisa told her mother she wanted to try to go to school on Monday morning. There had not been any indication that word was getting around and she wanted people to think things were normal. Most of all she needed to be at volleyball practice. It would be painful if she lost her starting position because of her absence.

Kate suggested she drive her car to school rather than ride with Emily. That way if things weren't going well, she could come home. Lisa agreed.

When she arrived Monday morning, she chose to slip through one of the lesser-used side entrances rather than going through the front doors as she often did. Groups of students dotted the passageway like little landmines, and she hoped to navigate her way to class without having one explode. Everywhere she went, she thought people were looking at her. When she heard people talking, she assumed it was about her. Her heightened sense of awareness had a way of making her mind play tricks on her.

When she walked into class, some students were already seated, talking with each other. The conversations seemed to stop when they noticed her. Again, her suspicions got the best of her, yet she couldn't be sure.

After her first class, she met Emily at her locker. "Em, what have you heard? Do people know?" Lisa asked, desperate for any information.

Emily looked around to see who might be close enough to overhear. "It's out there. I've had six people ask me if it's true."

Lisa's heart sank. It was unrealistic to think it wouldn't be the topic of conversation. She had to face the facts, no matter how much it pained her, and no matter how much she wished it wasn't true. "What did you tell them?"

"I didn't deny it. I told them what you needed right now was a friend. I told them you could sure use their support."

Lisa was deflated. She knew that, in more ways than one, her life would never be the same. She looked solemnly at her friend. "Thanks, Em." Lisa turned to leave, but she stopped and looked over her shoulder. "Any chance I could get you to walk with me to my next class?"

"Of course." She locked her arm with Lisa's and, in step, they coursed their way to her next class.

After school, Lisa hurried to the locker room to dress for volleyball practice. She opened her gym bag and removed a pair of gray shorts and a red T-shirt. She had intentionally packed those colors, knowing that black and white would never again be possible. In a trance-like state, she stared at the clothes in her hand, trying to decide if changing colors was enough to help her cope with the despair. She fought that part of her mind that wanted to take her back to that night. Don't go there; it's too painful, she told herself.

The sound of other team members coming into the locker room interrupted her thoughts. Two girls approached Lisa and asked if everything was okay. Lisa nodded, but she wasn't being truthful. There was an unfortunate reality that she had to face: Volleyball would probably be forever linked with the darkest day of her life. Was it possible to see that one did not beget the other? Was it too much knowing that the practice clothes she was wearing that night had now been transformed from their original intent to evidence in a police storage room? Tears traveled the familiar contours of her face and fell to the ground.

Lisa suppressed the urge to break down and sob uncontrollably. She couldn't let the others know the deep pain she was experiencing. Standing there in front of her locker, the sad reality was evident. The link between the two was real, and playing volleyball would be a constant reminder of that night. She felt compelled to walk away from the team and the sport she loved. She had to do it for her own healing, for her own salvation. Maybe someday, after she had processed her feelings and thoughts and put the ghosts to rest, she could return. Until that day, he had succeeded in stealing one more thing from her, taking one more piece of her soul and one more shred of her identity.

The girls could see that Lisa was visibly hurting. They told her they would get "Coach," and then they hurried to the gym. Lisa stuffed her clothes back into her bag, slung the strap over her shoulder, and disappeared through the exit. She hurried to the parking lot and searched her pocket for the keys to her mother's car. She started the engine and drove away, never looking back. Her tears now flowed freely, clouding her vision. She wiped at her eyes to clear them, but more tears quickly took their place.

Lisa stayed home from school the next day. The first day back had been more stressful than she had thought it might be. She was still trying to get her footing, and it didn't help that she thought she was the topic of every student's conversation--even those who didn't know her.

Word of Lisa's plight spread rapidly, and her days didn't get any better. She called her coach and explained that she wouldn't be back. Her coach understood, fully supported her decision, and wished her well. He stated the door was always open if Lisa changed her mind.

On the third day, Lisa tried going to school again. On the way to her locker, she heard two guys talking; they weren't aware of her presence. The shorter of the two guys was loud and boisterous, and Lisa remembered him being in one of her classes the previous year. "She probably deserved it," he was overheard saying to his buddy. "I'll bet she was probably coming on to him and he took her up on it. Then when she realized what she'd done, she cried rape."

Lisa wanted to believe that what she was hearing was just a coincidence and that what they were saying was not about her. It had to be about someone else. Her situation was not the one they were describing, because if it was, they would be condemning Ken, not her.

No matter how she tried to reason or justify that they were referencing someone else, in her heart, she knew the reality. She knew it was her they were talking about, and it sickened her.

Lisa's face grew hot, and her pulse raced. She was mortified to hear someone so misguided speak in such an emphatic manner without knowing someone's inner thoughts or motives. Part of her wanted to run and hide--to escape the pain and embarrassment of someone projecting their summation of the situation with no known facts. If this was being repeated in the halls and classrooms around school, how could she ever return? How could she face the humiliation?

During her next class, all she could focus on was that comment and what she thought others might be saying. Any time someone in class looked in her direction, she felt she was being scrutinized. Her lack of concentration proved to be an embarrassment when the teacher called on her for a comment regarding the topic she was discussing with the class. It was the teacher's way of keeping the students engaged.

Lisa felt the heat of the spotlight. She had been caught off guard, and now it seemed as if every set of eyes in the classroom was affixed on her, waiting for an answer. She sat there, stunned. Her heart raced, but nothing else moved. If she had an answer, she wasn't sure she could project it. Call on someone else was all she could think. It was what the teacher often did to try to spare that person the embarrassment of not paying attention, except she didn't seem to be doing it this time. Those couple of seconds seemed like an eternity.

Finally, a student in the front row raised his hand, and the teacher acknowledged him. The spotlight dimmed, but the heat still remained. Lisa couldn't wait for class to be over. She wanted to go home, where she could curl up in her bed with the covers pulled over her head and shut out the world.

Kate saw the downward spiral Lisa was experiencing, including her reluctance to go to school. She contacted the school. They were aware of Lisa's situation and offered home tutoring services, to which Lisa readily agreed.

Kate had watched her beautiful rose slowly lose its petals. It broke her heart to see Lisa isolate herself from the world. She knew homeschooling would get them through the remaining months of school, but what about next year? These were some of the most important years of her life, and Kate did not want them to be squandered.

For Kate, there was only one way out of this mess--one glimmer of hope for her daughter. But this meant being separated from her when she felt they needed each other the most. It was a sacrifice Kate was willing to make, and she hoped Lisa would see it the same way too. It was a sacrifice that hinged on Kate's younger sister, Karen.

She made a hopeful call to Karen, who was living in Maple Creek, Colorado. At thirty-six years of age, Karen was eight years younger than she was. They had been somewhat close growing up, but the age difference definitely posed an obstacle to the mutual interests that could have forged a stronger bond. It seemed that later in life, after Kate had married, they had become closer. She would often stay at Kate's house, particularly on those nights when Dan was out of town on business.

Karen always enjoyed hearing from her older sister. They didn't talk often, but when they did, the length of their conversations always seemed to make up for lost time. This particular time, Kate had reached Karen after she had just come in from feeding her horse. Karen was living the dream she had always hoped for since being a young teenager. Living in the mountains of Colorado and owning a horse had been her two main desires. The day after her twenty-sixth birthday she ventured west making that dream a reality.

They talked for a long time, filling in the gaps since the last time they had spoken. Karen knew what had happened to Lisa, but Kate had not shared any of the details with her. It was something she couldn't do. She felt a certain level of privacy was needed, even among family members. She contended that Lisa should be the one to decide what information would be divulged and to whom.

There was also a certain level of shame that haunted Kate. This caused her to be more guarded with friends and neighbors. She always wondered what they were actually thinking and whether their parenting skills were being judged.

Kate wasn't sure how she was going to broach the question to Karen, so she slowly walked Karen through the negative impact that the whole mess was having on Lisa. Before Kate could finish building the scenario leading up to the question, Karen interrupted and said, "Have her come live with me. That girl needs a change of scenery, and I would love to have her."

Just like that, Karen had relieved Kate of the burden of asking. Kate knew Karen had figured out where the conversation was going. Karen didn't beat around the bush. She always wanted people to just speak their mind and get down to business. Kate could have started out their conversation with "Can Lisa come live with you for her senior year?" and Karen wouldn't have batted an eye. They concluded their conversation, knowing that the final decision would be Lisa's.


Chapter Five

Kate and Lisa sat at the kitchen table discussing the pros and cons of her going to school in Colorado. Ultimately, Lisa knew in her heart she needed a change. Her surroundings would be a constant reminder of that ill-fated night and she felt she would always be under the glare of scrutiny, regardless of the passage of time.

"I wish things weren't the way they are," her mother said, solemnly, "but I think the time away will give you a chance to heal. I know Aunt Karen is excited about the prospect of you coming to stay with her."

Lisa plopped her elbows on the table and rested her chin in the palms of her hands, with her fingers clasped to her cheeks. "Why is life so unfair? I shouldn't have to be the one that alters my life. It wasn't my fault."

"I couldn't agree with you more," her mother acknowledged. "The Lord knows there isn't anything I want more than to have you here with me, but if I look at it objectively, I don't think that's best for you."

"It's not," Lisa said, agreeing with her mother. She straightened up and looked at her. "It's just that I'm going to miss you. All these years you've been my support system and I don't know what I'll do without you."

Kate was moved by Lisa's words. "I'm sure you are going to find Aunt Karen will be there to fill the void. She's got a good head on her shoulders and she'll be very protective of you."

"What about Dad?" What does he think about me going to Colorado?"

"He thinks it's unfortunate and he blames himself for you having to leave, but under the circumstances he thinks it's the right thing."

"I wish he would tell me that, instead of me having to hear it from you."

Kate wished that too. "You know your father," she said, candidly.

Lisa sighed. "Yeah, unfortunately I do."

There was silence as they both thought about the realization of their mutual decision. Though they knew it was right, there was no joy. There was only uncertainty and some trepidation. Starting over was never easy and it was something Lisa had never experienced. Regardless of the circumstances, she wasn't going to let it beat her. She would make the best of this situation and do like her mother had suggested; use it as a time to heal.

Lisa got up from the table. "Mom, can I use your car. I need to break the news to Emily and I want to do it face-to-face."

"Sure. You know where the keys are."

"Thanks, Mom." She gave her mother a hug. "Everything will work out. We just have to trust it will."

"That's my girl," she said, fighting back tears.

Lisa called Emily and asked her to meet at the park. It was a place they liked to frequent. During her drive she kept convincing herself she had made the right decision, but leaving her friends behind, especially Emily would be one of the hardest things she ever had to do. Telling her the news would be just as hard.

When Lisa arrived Emily was already there. They picked a spot on the grass to sit. They were shaded from the afternoon sun, by trees that had recently bloomed from the lengthening days and the spring rains. Lisa saw irony in the timing of her decision. Spring was upon them and it signaled a time of rebirth and starting anew. It was the same thing she would soon be doing in Colorado.

Emily had no idea the bombshell Lisa was about to drop. To her it was just their usual get together to hang out and talk about the latest gossip. Lisa was subdued and not her usual talkative self.

Emily sensed Lisa's somber mood. "Is everything all right?"

"Em, this has been a really hard year for me. I don't like having to be home schooled, but it's better than facing constant humiliation."

It saddened Emily that her friend had lost so much, during what should have been a joyous time in their lives. "It's a lot better now. Everything has died down and no one is talking about it," she said, trying to give her hope.

"That's because I'm not there. Out of sight, out of mind. If I was to return to school it would start all over."

Emily knew what Lisa had said was probably true. Still, she tried to be optimistic. "In a couple of months school will be over and then during the summer everyone will forget about it. We'll be able to go into our senior year looking forward to all the fun we've always talked about. You'll see," Emily said, assuredly.

Lisa pulled at the grass avoiding eye contact with Emily. She knew what she was about to say would be a big blow. "Em," she paused. "I won't be back next year."

Emily's eyes widened. "What do you mean you won't be back? You can't stay locked up inside your house, being home schooled. You need to be around people. You're a people person, Lisa." Lisa looked at Emily. "I'll be around people. It just won't be here."

"What are you saying?"

Lisa spoke softly. "I'm going to Colorado. I'm going to live with my aunt and go to school out there."

Emily was stunned. She had not seen this coming.

"Colorado! That's so far away. I'll never get to see you."

"I know. It's going to be difficult and I'm nervous about going."

Emily felt lost and confused. "Are you sure you're doing the right thing?"

"I don't know what the right thing is. I just know what I'm going through, I would never wish this on anyone else." She paused and let out a sigh. "I feel a change might be what I need. A chance to start over where people don't know what happened."

Emily couldn't disagree. She knew the pain Lisa had experienced and she only wanted the best for her. "I really hate to see you leave." Her voice resonated with sadness. She reached out and touched Lisa's arm. "It doesn't matter where you go, you'll always be my best friend."

Lisa leaned over and wrapped her arms around Emily in a heartfelt embrace. "I'm so lucky to have a best friend like you."

Chapter Six

The brilliant blue skies near Maple Creek were a stark contrast to the periodic hazy skies of Lakeville, Lisa thought, as the van shuttled her on the four hour ride from the airport to Aunt Karen's house. Everything seemed different about Colorado. The mountains were much taller and more rugged. In the distance, she could see the highest peaks that still held the vestiges of winter snow, which had not yet yielded to the summer sun. Large expanses of aspen trees intermingled with lodge pole pines on virtually every mountainside in a patchwork of artistry. The air was clean and the creeks pristine. There was a peaceful tranquility to the mountains, and that seemed alluring to Lisa.

Aunt Karen lived on ten acres on the outskirts of town. Lisa had never been to her aunt's place, but her mother had shown her pictures of it. As the van turned down Mount Pickford Lane, she saw the log home come into view. The logs were massive, and the home was far more stunning than the pictures had made it look.

Standing outside, she could see Aunt Karen holding her hand to her forehead to shield the glare of the sun as she looked at the van coming up the long gravel and dirt driveway. She was wearing denim blue jeans that hugged her thighs and flared ever so slightly at the bottom to make room for her cowgirl boots. She wore a white sleeveless blouse, and her chestnut hair, which had a curl to it, hung down to her breasts. She had never married but had had a long-time love interest. Somehow it just never seemed right enough to say "I do."

Lisa got out of the van and gave her aunt a big hug. "Hi, Aunt

Karen! It's good to see you."

"Well look at you, girl," Aunt Karen replied. "Aren't you just gettin' all grown-up and pretty?"

Lisa smiled. Aunt Karen always had a friendly and warm way about her.

Aunt Karen cradled the sides of Lisa's face in her hands and looked directly into her eyes. "So, how's my favorite niece?" Lisa chuckled. "Aunt Karen, I'm your only niece."

"Well then that settles it; you are definitely my favorite niece," she said with an approving smile.

Karen tipped the van driver and helped Lisa carry her luggage toward the house. The entrance was framed by a covered porch that ran the length of the house. A couple of rocking chairs with a small table between them sat on the left side of the porch, and two chairs and a loveseat were grouped around a rectangular table to the right.

"This is a beautiful porch. Do you sit out here often?"

"Every chance I get. You see that mountain out there off to the left?" The mountain she was pointing to looked different from all the other ones Lisa had seen on her way up from the airport. This one had long runs of open areas carved out of the trees.

"Is that a ski area?"

"You betcha! Skiing and cattle ranching are what drive this town. Tourists flock here in the winter and summer to take in the mountain experience. Tourism is what keeps me afloat."

"What do you mean?"

"Let's dump these suitcases and I'll tell you about it."

Karen's home was a combination of the old west meets modern-day civilization. A large stone fireplace in the living area rose to meet the peak of the A-framed ceiling, which was two stories tall. Large windows on each side of the fireplace gave a distant view of the ski area. There were two leather chairs and ottomans, positioned at a slight angle, facing the center of the room, with their backs to each of the windows. The main floor had two bedrooms, and the upstairs had a bedroom with its own bath and a loft that looked down onto the living area. The log structure gave the house a cozy feel. "I've got you in the upstairs bedroom," Karen said. "It should give you the privacy I'm sure a teenager craves."

"Why do you think I need privacy?"

"Because I was a teenager once."

Karen took the two suitcases and proceeded up the stairs. Lisa followed with her large shoulder bag and the hard case which contained her guitar. They deposited everything in Lisa's bedroom.

"I didn't know you played guitar," Karen said, realizing there was probably a lot about her niece that she didn't know.

"I started over four years ago. It helps me escape and gives me a certain sense of peace."

"Well, you play your little heart out anytime," Karen said with a smile. "We like folks havin' a certain sense of peace up here in God's paradise."

"I will."

"After all that travelin', are you hungry?"

"I'm starved." Lisa hadn't eaten since breakfast. Her flight, with the two hour time change, got into Denver at ten o'clock and it was now three o'clock in the afternoon. Karen prepared her niece a sandwich, some fruit, and chips. They sat at the kitchen table and talked about memories of growing up in Tennessee. Karen and Kate both attended the same high school that Lisa had attended, and according to Lisa, it didn't seem like much had changed over the years. After twenty minutes of reminiscing, Lisa remembered the comment her aunt had made about the tourists who flocked to Maple Creek.

"What was it you were going to tell me about tourism and staying afloat?"

"Oh yes, I forgot about that." She paused briefly, as if trying to decide where to begin. "When I moved out here ten years ago, it was something I had always wanted to do. For me, there was a certain romance about the west. It was the whole cowboys, horses, and the ruggedness of the land that captivated me since I was a teenager. I would tell people my physical being was conceived in Tennessee, and my soul was born in Colorado, and when they were finally united, I found peace." Karen noticed Lisa had almost finished her sandwich.

"Can I get you anything else?"

"No, I'm good. Thanks, Aunt Karen."

"You know, honey, why don't you just call me Karen? I'm not use to all this aunt stuff, and it seems a little too formal, if you know what I mean."

"Okay, it's a deal," Lisa said with a nod. She really liked Aunt Karen. She was so down-to-earth and seemed more like a friend than an authority figure. She was a cross between southern hospitality and rugged individualism.

Karen cleared Lisa's plate from the table and leaned back against the counter. "When I finally moved out here, I had no job waiting for me. I ended up working for a boutique selling high-end fashion and western wear. The owner and I hit it off from the get-go, and I knew I had found my niche. Three years ago, she said she was retiring and would help me buy the store if I was interested."

"Did you?"

"When she made that offer, I only had two words for her: 'Hell yes.'" Lisa laughed at how succinct her aunt was at expressing herself. She liked that about her. "So, that is why tourism is my bread and butter."

"I'm happy for you, Aunt Karen . . . uh, I mean Karen," she said, correcting herself.

Karen walked back to the table, sat down, and placed her hand over Lisa's. "I'm really happy to have you here," she said earnestly. "I don't like the circumstances that brought you here, but I want you to know we're not going to mention it in this house unless you decide you need to talk about it, and then I'm here for you."

Her aunt's kindness and the realization of that night brought tears to Lisa's eyes. Karen stood up and gently pulled on Lisa's hand for her to stand. She wrapped her in a loving embrace. "You're safe here. The past is the past. This is a fresh new start."

Lisa composed herself. She took comfort in her aunt's words. Karen released Lisa from her hug and, with outstretched arms, placed her hands on Lisa's shoulders. She looked directly into her eyes and stated, "And if anybody gets the wrong idea about my niece, they're going to have a load of buckshot in their fanny, courtesy of me." Lisa chuckled at that thought. "Would that be your favorite niece?" "Yeah, my favorite niece," confirmed Karen with a big smile.

Chapter Seven

The morning sun crested the mountaintops, and light filtered into Lisa's room through the wooden blinds. The previous day's travel, combined with the thin mountain air, had exhausted her. She looked at the clock and noticed it was 9:15. She didn't usually sleep that late, but it felt good.

She threw on some sweats and descended the stairs to the kitchen. Karen had left a note that read: Went to open the boutique. Should be back in a couple of hours. Help yourself to anything you want. Lisa poured a tall glass of orange juice and went back to her room. She grabbed her guitar case in one hand and the juice with the other before heading straight for the porch.

She sat down on the loveseat and removed the guitar from its case. She strummed the strings and methodically tuned each one before launching into some of her favorite songs. The warmth of the sun and the beauty of the mountains coalesced around the magic in her fingers and the sweetness of her voice. There was a peacefulness and freedom that singing gave to her soul, and it seemed to become intensified on that porch in Maple Creek.

Karen returned from the boutique while Lisa was still on the porch, playing. She parked her six month old Range Rover in the garage and instead of going into the house, walked out the garage door to the front yard. She called out to Lisa, "I see you're enjoying my porch."

"More than you can imagine!" she hollered back.

Stepping onto the porch, Karen saw the guitar Lisa had cradled on her lap. "I see you've found a good spot for playin' your guitar."

"I love your porch and being surrounded by all this beauty," Lisa said, reaching for her orange juice. She hadn't taken a drink since she'd sat down to play, and the coldness of the juice had dissipated. "What time is it?"

"Almost eleven," Karen responded, unaware of how long her niece had been out there. She sat in the chair next to the loveseat. "Well don't stop playing on my account. Let's hear some music."

Lisa wondered for a moment what would be a good choice-- something that her aunt might like to hear. She then launched into an edgy country tune that displayed the depth of her vocal range. Her fingers moved effortlessly up and down the neck of the guitar. Her voice was angelic on the slower, softer tones of the song but strong and gritty when the tempo dictated. There was more to Lisa's talent than manipulating a few chords and singing some karaoke version of an artist's song.

When Lisa played the last note, Karen stood and applauded. "Bravo! Bravo! You are incredible. You have more talent than a lot of people making a living at this kind of thing."

"You think so?" Lisa asked, reveling in the praise.

"I know so." She paused for a moment. "I have an idea."

"What is it?"

"I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse, but why don't you get ready? We'll go by the boutique and then get some lunch." "What do you mean cart and horse?" Lisa said quizzically.

"It's just an expression. Someday I'll explain."

Lisa jumped into the shower, and in less than twenty-five minutes, she was ready to go. She walked into the garage ahead of Karen and saw two vehicles. "Which vehicle are we taking?"

"The red Grand Cherokee," Karen replied. "This will be your vehicle to drive while you're here."

"Seriously."

"You're going to need a way to get around, because I can't take you everywhere you'll need to go.

"I can't believe it. This is a nice vehicle."

"I've had this Jeep for nine years. It's been real dependable, especially in the snow."

"Nine years! It doesn't seem that old."

"That's because I've taken real good care of it. Just had the oil changed and a new windshield put in the other day." Karen looked at Lisa and smiled. "I'm watching out for you."

"I appreciate that,"

Lisa had not yet seen Maple Creek, and it was fascinating to see all the people walking past the eight blocks of stores, specialty shops, and restaurants. There was a nice blend of old town with the modernization of new buildings that contained lofts above storefronts. Most of the restaurants had some outdoor seating either in front of the restaurant or, in some cases, on the rooftops.

Karen found an elusive parking space a half block away from the boutique. They joined the cadence of visitors navigating the crowded sidewalks and enjoying the beautiful summer weather. Karen loved to see the sidewalks full. Full sidewalks usually reflected a good sales day. In another month, sales would start to slow down. There would be another little boost for the town during hunting season, but that had little to no impact on Karen's business. Then the snows would fall, the skiers would come, and business would be brisk again.

Karen held the door for Lisa and watched her from behind as she scanned her surroundings and looked at the array of beautiful fashion contained within the walls of the small boutique. Many of the cold weather and ski items had not yet made it to the shelves, but the summer dresses and the wide variety of western wear seemed to be for the discriminating buyer.

Lisa picked up a pair of fashionable cowgirl boots and looked at the intricate leather work and the detailed coloring that brought the boots to life. These boots were to be seen, not covered up by denim. Lisa twirled the price tag, and her eyes got big when she noticed the twelve and the two zeroes that followed it. She carried the boot over to where Karen was standing talking to one of two sales associates working that day. Karen saw her coming and introduced her to Elizabeth, a brunette who was probably in her mid-twenties. They exchanged pleasantries before Elizabeth excused herself to help a customer.

Lisa held up the boot with the price tag. "This says twelve hundred dollars; can that be so?"

Karen motioned with her finger for Lisa to follow her. "Come with me," she said, taking her to another section. She picked up another boot and handed it to her. "Check these out."

Lisa gazed at the intricate design, and she felt the softness of the material before looking inside the boot for the price tag. "Twenty-six hundred dollars!" she said in an amazed but hushed tone.

"They're ostrich. Wearing a pair of these is the next best thing to heaven."

"How can you afford to order all the different sizes of each of these boots you stock? It's got to cost a fortune?"

"I don't. I just order the most popular and often-requested sizes and special-order the rest. Most people don't have a problem with me having them sent to their home. If they're staying here for a week, oftentimes I have them sent to the store and they can pick them up while they're here. It seems to work out pretty well."

"People don't mind waiting?"

Karen smiled. "I'm very fortunate that not a lot of people have the rights to sell this designer's boots. When people see them, they don't care if they have to wait; they just want them. And for the clientele I'm dealing with, cost doesn't matter." She sighed and shook her head from side to side. "Sometimes, I swear people have more money than brains. But if their purse or wallet is a little heavy, I don't mind helping them lighten it," she said, giving Lisa a sly wink.

"Are you ready to go next door and grab some lunch? There's someone there I want you to meet."

The name on the outside of the cafwas simply "Lucinda's." Inside, it had a smattering of tables of various sizes and a few booths along one wall. It looked like a cafand coffee house rolled into one. It had a mountain feel to it, with rustic beams spaced over a knotty pine ceiling. The ceilings were about fifteen feet tall and gave the place a more spacious feel. Black-and-white pictures of the town from many years ago adorned the walls.

"Karen, so good to see you, my dear friend," said a woman with short black hair, black-rimmed glasses, and a smile that exuded warmth.

Karen exchanged an embrace with the woman. "Looks like business has been pretty good lately."

"I'm not complaining, but it sure would help if the town council would figure out a workable solution to get us more parking downtown. That seems to be the biggest complaint I hear from customers."

"Don't hold your breath; there's way too much ineptness to assume they'll ever figure it out." Karen turned toward Lisa, took her by the elbow, and gently moved her front and center. "Judy, this is my niece, Lisa."

"Of course you are," acknowledged Judy. She cupped Lisa's hand between hers and greeted her with a genuine kindness. "Your aunt has been reminding me daily of your arrival since she first knew you were coming. She has not been able to contain her enthusiasm."

Karen interjected. "You don't need to be telling her all that," she said, feigning disgust.

"There's one thing you'll learn about your aunt while you're here. She doesn't make a good poker player."

That comment puzzled Lisa, and Judy could tell.

"You can read her like a book. She lets you know how she feels, and there's usually no holding back. She keeps me grounded, and that's why she's my friend," Judy said, shifting her gaze from Lisa to Karen.

"See what I mean, Lisa? She speaks her mind, and that's what I love about her." Her comments were true, but at the same time, they were meant to chide Karen a little.

Judy showed them to their table while Lisa implored her to divulge more about her Aunt Karen.

"Don't you dare," warned Karen.

"We'll talk later," Judy told Lisa, as she flashed a big smile toward Karen. "I'll leave you be for a few minutes so you can look at the menu."

After the waitress took their order, Judy came back to their table. She asked Lisa what she thought of Maple Creek and how she planned on spending the remaining summer break before the new school year started.

Lisa was drawn to Judy's friendly and outgoing personality. She spoke with a genuine interest, which Lisa found comforting but also troubling. She hoped Judy's questions wouldn't center on why she had come to Maple Creek for her senior year. Was she going to miss her friends? What did her parents think of her wanting to come out west? These were the type of questions she was not prepared to answer, but vagueness or avoidance of the question might cause Judy to wonder.

Karen immediately sensed that the conversation was treading in water that might put Lisa in an uncomfortable position. She changed the subject to the real reason she had chosen Judy's place for lunch. "Are you still having local musicians perform on the weekends?"

"Definitely. It's what a lot of people have come to expect here, particularly the locals. It's a big draw, and if I discontinued it, my weekend business would trend downward."

Lisa's brows dipped and her nose wrinkled as she stared intently at Karen. Her aunt's question caught her off guard, and she had a good suspicion about where the conversation was going. She just wasn't sure she was comfortable with the direction.

"Do you need another musician? I mean a good musician with a voice like an angel?" Karen said bluntly.

"Interesting you should ask. One of my regulars just informed me that he accepted a job offer in Texas and will be moving." Judy shot Karen a look of interest. "What do you have in mind?"

"You're looking at it."

Judy's eyes widened, and her jaw dropped. "You!" she said, looking directly at Karen. "I didn't think you had a musical bone in your body."

Karen wondered, was Judy that dense, or did the obvious not seem that obvious? She looked at Judy and tipped her head to the side a couple of times, motioning toward Lisa.

Lisa had settled back into her chair. She was slightly embarrassed by the unexpected attention being directed at her and Judy's inability to recognize that the musician Karen was referring to was her.

Judy was caught off guard. She hadn't thought in terms of someone in high school being a fit for her local musical nights at the caf All her performers were usually mid-twenties or older. Not everyone had the talent she was looking for. Judy sensed a dilemma. If she agreed to hear Lisa play and didn't have the same enthusiasm about her music that Karen did, it could be awkward at best. But Karen was her good friend and a forthright person. Judy needed to be upfront and honest. She knew Karen would understand if Lisa wasn't a good fit, and hopefully Lisa would too.

Judy shifted her gaze to Lisa. "Lisa, I had no idea," she said, sounding somewhat apologetic. "What a pleasant surprise this is. I would love to hear you play." Judy paused and looked directly at Karen. "I'm a tough critic, Karen, as you probably already know. I'm going to be honest with both of you, and if I don't see it as a good fit, then I'm going to tell you."

Karen smiled. "I wouldn't have it any other way." She had all the confidence in the world in Lisa, and to convey that confidence, she added, "I hope you can handle the increase in business you're going to have here."

Lisa was still trying to sort out what had just happened. She was flattered that Aunt Karen thought so highly of her musical abilities, but she would have felt better about the whole thing if she had known her aunt's intentions prior to their conversation with Judy. This created an overwhelming and uncertain feeling within her. She was uncertain if she wanted to perform there should she get the chance, and she was overwhelmed by the expectation placed on her to do well. She just needed to let everything soak in.

Their food arrived as Judy got up to leave. "How would you like to come in tomorrow about ten o'clock, and I'll see if your talent is what I'm looking for?"

Lisa looked at her aunt. "Is that okay?"

"That'll work. Ten o'clock tomorrow," Karen confirmed.

Karen offered a parting comment to Judy, "For the record, I resent your comment about me not having a musical bone in my body. I'll have you know that I could play 'Mary had a Little Lamb' on the plastic recorder in fourth grade."

The three of them laughed heartily, and Judy chimed in, "I grossly underestimated your talents. Maybe I should be considering a duo."













Chapter Eight



When they left the restaurant, Karen and Lisa had one more stop for the afternoon. Together, they would go to the high school so that Lisa could enroll and select her classes. Lisa was excited about this new opportunity. She was relieved to be starting over where no one knew anything about her past. The hardest part for her was not graduating with her class. She would not get to walk the stage with her friends, whom she had known since grade school, and that was a big disappointment. It was yet another reminder of how much she really lost on that night--a reminder of what was taken and how her life was transformed.

Lisa was determined to make the best of her new surroundings. She was going to have to establish new friendships, which was something she hadn't done in years. The transition might be a little difficult, but she would make the best of it. She did not want her senior year to be unmemorable, and it was especially important that she not let her circumstances be an obstacle to her happiness.

Maple Creek was half the size of Lakeville, and her new high school was half the size of her old one. Her old school encompassed two levels, whereas Creekside High School was spread out over one level. It was a newer-looking school--at least part of it was. It was apparent that as a result of the growing need for space, additions had been made to the school.

The school sat at the base of Mount Pickford, which was a magnificent backdrop, and it was quite a different feel from her old school, which sat several blocks outside the center of town. The surroundings were open and spacious rather than closed in and busy. Lisa's early impressions were cause for optimism.

"What do you think?" Karen asked, as they got out of the car.

Lisa breathed in deeply, looking around in all directions. She was capturing the moment and trying to connect with her surroundings. This is where she would spend the next year of her life, and first impressions were important, for they contained the promise of a new beginning. "This is pretty awesome," she responded. "If the feeling inside the school is half as good as the outside, I'm going to be happy."

They entered through the front doors, which opened to a large lobby. On the right were doors with signs indicating that they led to the auditorium. Between the doors was a thirty-foot trophy case displaying the school's rich tradition in sports. Lisa walked over to the case and peered through the glass. Most of the trophies were for football, basketball, and track, but to the far left, she noticed the trophies for volleyball. One particular trophy caught her attention. It was last year's second-place finish at the state tournament. They must have a pretty good team, she thought. Whether they did or not, it didn't really matter, because she had, for the most part, decided that her volleyball playing days were over. Besides, she reasoned, it would be hard for an outsider to crack the lineup of a well-established team.

At the end of the lobby, she could see the glass doors to the cafeteria, which looked out to a large outdoor atrium area with benches, a garden, and several large shade trees. Above the doors to the cafeteria were big black painted letters, which read "Home of the Eagles." No longer would she be a Spartan.

"Looks like I'm going to be an Eagle," she said, as if she were trying it on to see if it fit.

Karen placed an arm around Lisa's shoulder. "There is an old legend that the eagle is the only animal that can look into the sun. This gives the eagle strength and courage."

Lisa let her aunt's words filter through her head. "Strength and courage are something I'm going to need," she said reflectively. She paused, stood a little straighter, and in a matter-of-fact tone stated, "You're looking at a proud Creekside Eagle."

Karen nodded her approval. "C'mon, you Creekside Eagle! Let's go register."

To their left were the administrative offices, so they didn't have far to go. Inside, there was a smattering of students being helped at the counter. Karen and Lisa stood back and were waiting their turn when a young man asked, "May I help you?" Lisa stepped forward and said she needed to register for school.

"I can help you with that," the young man said eagerly.

Lisa thought he was kind of young to be an employee, and her curiosity got the better of her. "Do you work here?" she said hesitantly. Realizing her comment didn't sound quite right, she rephrased it and asked, "I mean are you an employee here?"

"Yes and no," he replied, trying to figure out which question to answer. He elaborated, "Yes, I do work here, but no, I'm not an employee." He extended his hand and introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Jack. Jack Evers. I'm a senior here, and I volunteer each year, a couple weeks before school begins, to help the office staff get caught up with the rush that usually occurs this time of year."

"That makes sense," Lisa stated, letting this new revelation sink in.

"And you must be new here, because I'm sure I would have noticed you." Lisa's eyes widened, and suddenly Jack didn't feel quite right about how his comment had come across. In his eyes, she was definitely an attractive girl--very attractive, he would have to say--but what he had hoped to convey came out wrong.

Jack attempted to clarify his statement. "I know just about everyone in this school, and you weren't familiar to me." His rebuttal caused Lisa to relax, but at the same time, she felt a twinge of disappointment. It would have been flattering if he had intended it the other way, she thought.

Jack tried to bring the conversation back on track. "I don't think I caught your name."

"Lisa Taylor. And yes I am new here."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Lisa Taylor." The more Jack looked at her, the prettier she got, and it started to throw his concentration off balance. He quickly gathered a registration form and slid it across the counter toward her. He thought about mentioning that she could register online on the website, which was the advice they gave to all students, but he decided against it. Offering her a choice might mean she would choose the other option and be gone. He wanted to savor this moment, and whatever time she would be in the office completing her paperwork would not be long enough, as far as he was concerned.

Karen sat idly nearby in a chair near the door, watching the interaction and anticipating if Lisa needed any help. She did not want to be motherly when Lisa was fully capable of doing this on her own. She was also enjoying watching the young man, who seemed to be somewhat smitten with her niece. She noticed his frequent glances at Lisa while she was engrossed in her paperwork. He tried not to be obvious about it, but Karen could tell; it was obvious.

Lisa finished her paperwork and waited for Jack to finish helping another student. He kept looking her way as if to reassure her that he would be right with her. While she waited, she enjoyed watching his interactions with the guy he was helping. She noticed his captivating smile. It was warm and genuine, not forced. She guessed him to be about a couple inches short of six feet. Each time he looked her way, she felt the sincerity of his deep blue eyes, which seemed to sparkle under the fluorescent lights. He was slender with black hair, but not jet black, and it hung down to the collar of his shirt. If first impressions were important, he seemed charming.

She wondered if he had a girlfriend but then tried to back off that thought. She hardly knew him, and besides, after what had happened last year, she was still struggling with trust issues. But Jack seemed like a nice guy; at least, that was the impression she was getting.

Jack finally broke free and interrupted her thoughts. "Sorry to keep you waiting," he said sincerely. "Let me just look this paperwork over." He quickly scanned the paperwork, checking for errors or missing information.

"Tennessee! That's a long way from here," he exclaimed, looking up and noticing her beautiful brown eyes.

"Yea, born and raised."

"So what do you think of Maple Creek so far?"

"It's so beautiful here. It's just kind of tough not knowing anyone and having to make friends all over again. I've never really had to do that until now."

Jack empathized with her, but having lived in Maple Creek all his life, he'd never had to establish new friendships. "Well then, consider me your first friend."

Lisa smiled. "I will."

Jack looked around to make sure someone wouldn't overhear him. "And as a friend, I must tell you, if you are taking a science class, don't take Mr. Henderson."

"Mr. Henderson," she affirmed.

"He'll put you to sleep. Very dry. Some people describe it as death by boredom."

Lisa chuckled. "No Mr. Henderson," she repeated. "I'm glad I have a friend looking out for me."

"Me too."

Jack finished helping Lisa by showing her what she needed to do to select her classes and giving her the available options. She thought that part would be best done online so she could take her time deciding and planning her schedule. They said their goodbyes, and Jack threw in a parting "Hope to see you soon," which caused him a twinge of embarrassment because, after saying it, he thought it might have been a little too forward.

His embarrassment quickly evaporated when Lisa shot him a warm smile and said, "Me too."


Chapter Nine

Lisa awoke the next morning, knowing that it was her big audition day. She felt nervous but confident. She couldn't be sure what Judy was looking for in an artist, but she liked her chances. She went over her song list in her head, trying to decide the best two or three songs she should play for Judy. She wanted something that would show her vocal range, but she also needed something that would show her musicality. She decided on Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" to show she could do something upbeat, and to counterbalance that song, she would play "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. If Judy wanted to hear something else, she would throw in "Choices," which was a ballad she had written five months ago during her period of despair. It was a heartfelt ballad that helped her sort out her feelings during her dark period.

"Hey, sweet pea!" Karen hollered up to Lisa's room. "Are you ready?

Lisa went to the railing and looked down at Karen standing in the living room. "Does this look okay?" she asked, hoping for some guidance from her aunt.

"Lisa darlin', you would look good in a gunny sack. That looks great. Besides, once you start singing, there ain't anybody that's goin' to be noticin' what you're wearing."

"Thanks, Karen," she said gratefully. Lisa was still trying to adapt to calling her aunt by her first name. It seemed so out of place.

Lucinda's was quiet at that time of the morning, except for a handful of employees running here and there, trying to get ready to open in an hour. Judy warmly received them and was excited to hear Lisa play. Still, she reminded Karen that she was a tough critic and that she was going to be totally honest.

Karen just smiled.

Lisa went to the stage, which was really just a rectangular platform about a foot and a half off the floor. It was nestled against the wall at the midway point in the restaurant. There was a chair and a microphone, but Lisa wouldn't need the mic. She was only playing for an audience of one, but a very important one.

She took a seat on the chair and pulled her guitar from its case. She plucked each of the strings to make sure it was in tune. She had tuned it before she'd left the house, and nothing had changed.

"What are you going to play for me first?" Judy asked, taking a seat next to Karen at a table by the stage.

"I'm going to start with, 'Living on a Prayer.'"

Judy looked at Karen and nodded her approval. Karen smiled.

It didn't take long before Judy was rocking to the beat and mouthing the lyrics, but Lisa barely noticed. She was lost in the song, and it was hard to believe so much musicality could come from such a young woman. Halfway through the song, the employees stopped what they were doing and gathered just outside the entrance to the kitchen, enjoying the private concert. When she finished, there were hoots and hollers and a few whistles from the onlookers.

Judy turned to her employees and nodded in agreement. They were used to hearing the musical talent that played there, and their favorable endorsement was a good sign for Lisa and Judy. "What else would you like to play?"

"I think I'll switch it up and play something a little softer by Taylor Swift." Again, Judy looked at Karen and nodded, and Karen just kept on smiling. The kitchen staff remained, wanting to hear what was next. Lisa launched into "Love Story" with a great deal of passion and feeling. Her angelic voice and the well-written song took their hearts on a magical ride through Shakespearean times. A few people felt the raw emotion of the song, and they dabbed at their eyes. This time the hoots and hollers were replaced by appreciative applause, which warmed Lisa's heart. The recognition made her feel good.

Judy looked at Karen. "Wipe that smile off your face," Judy joked.

"I'm sure glad I didn't bet you any money." "I told you so," was all Karen had to say.

"Lisa, you just amaze me. I can't believe how talented you are. If you want to play here, I've got big plans for you. You'll be my main draw."

Lisa didn't know what to say. She was elated that people had an appreciation for her talent.

"So what can we work out for a schedule? I usually only have my musicians play on weekend nights, but you are going to be a big enough draw that I'd be willing to expand into some of the week nights until the end of summer."

Karen looked at Lisa before speaking. "Judy, Lisa only has two more weeks before school begins. Once school starts, I think weekends are going to be the only available days for her."

"No problem," Judy replied. "I've got the next two weekends booked, but how about if I put you on the following Friday and Saturday nights?"

That sounded reasonable to Lisa. She looked at Karen for her approval, and Karen nodded. "I'll do it," Lisa responded joyously.

Judy shook Lisa's hand to symbolically acknowledge their agreement and then gave Lisa a big hug. "You are quite amazing. I truly underestimated the gift you have."

Lisa felt the strength and affection of the two women in that room. They would be the rock on which she would build her new life in Maple Creek.


Chapter Ten

Though Creekside was not a very large high school, it took Lisa a while to locate her first class. The nervousness she had anticipated coursed through her body as she walked into the classroom full of strangers. She quickly located a seat on the far aisle, near the wall, about halfway to the front of the room.

A young man seated on the other side of the room noticed her entrance and gathered his books to change seats. Walking up to the desk beside Lisa, he asked her unsuspectingly, "Is this seat taken?" Lisa heard the comment but was unsure if it was intended for her. She turned toward the person and instantly recognized him.

"Jack! What a pleasant surprise."

He placed his books on the desk and sat down. "I thought you might like to see a familiar face on your first day of school."

Lisa felt a sense of relief. "I have to admit, the nerves were getting to me this morning; but this makes me feel better."

Her dark brown hair was thick. It had a slight wave to it as it coursed its way slightly below her shoulders. She wore a loose-fitting floral blouse with tight blue jeans and sandals. There was a slight muscular athleticism about her.

To Jack, it was an appealing look--a far cry from the anorexic and bulimic-looking girls who took their cues on looks, lifestyle, and glamour from Cosmopolitan magazine.

She seemed plain but in a good way. No makeup or fingernail polish--just a natural beauty that didn't cry out "Look at me, look at me!"

Jack was drawn to Lisa, and though he was normally shy around girls, there was something different about her that allowed his shyness to elude him. In the past, that shyness had meant he had never dated a girl and had most certainly never kissed one. The quick peck he had received from a girl in the eighth grade after being coaxed into a game of Spin the Bottle didn't qualify.

He passed Lisa a note. It had his cell phone number on it, and he asked her to text him sometime. She obliged by sending him a text immediately as he watched.

He felt his phone vibrate, and with eager anticipation, he read her message. "How were your last two weeks of summer?" her message read. "Did you have to work the whole time?"

"I worked up until a week ago. Took this last week to go with friends camping in the high country," he texted back.

"Did U have a good time?"

"Great time. Luv the mountains."

Jack and Lisa continued to text back and forth while pretending to be listening to the teacher. They did a good job of not making it obvious. Although they barely knew each other, they anxiously awaited each other's responses.

When the bell rang, Jack shoved his book in his backpack, grabbed his camera bag, and slid the strap over his head so it rested on his neck. He walked out with Lisa, and they chatted as they went through the door and out into the hall.

"What's your next class?" Jack asked.

"Choir."

"Do you know where it is?"

She looked down the hallway in both directions and, looking back at Jack, shook her head.

"C'mon, I'll show you. My photography class is in the same wing," he said, motioning to his left.

As they made their way down the long, wide hall of students, Jack suddenly heard a familiar cry coming from the lockers to his right.

"Hey, Shutterbug!"

Jack cringed. He knew that familiar chorus. "Hey, Sean," Jack replied with a wave of his hand. He was standing by his locker, talking to two Cosmo girls.

"Don't forget the game Friday night. I'm countin' on ya."

Jack sighed. "Haven't forgotten a game yet."

"Cool. I'll see you then," and he immediately went back to talking to the Cosmo girls.

"Who's that?" Lisa inquired.

"That's the Creekside Eagles quarterback, Sean Clayton. He's the big jock around here. Football, basketball, track . . . he does it all. I've known him since the third grade." Jack reflected for a moment on how Sean had changed over the year. Sean used to be a down-to-earth guy until his athletic prowess gained him a lot of notoriety, and it went to his head.

"What's Shutterbug?" Lisa asked, with a look of interest in her eyes.

Jack let out a big sigh. "Shutterbug is a nickname," he responded hesitantly. "Sean loves giving people nicknames, even if they aren't the most flattering. I didn't particularly like the name, but he's been calling me that for two years now. Kinda started when I first started taking pictures for him during his games. I'm so used to it that I don't really notice it anymore."

Lisa paused for a moment and turned toward Jack. "It's kind of cute."

"It would be cuter if it didn't have the word bug in it."

Jack motioned over her right shoulder. "This is the choir room, your next stop. My class is at the end of the hall," he said, not really ready to bid her goodbye. "Where's your next class after choir?" "I don't know," she said, fumbling for her schedule.

"Look, I can meet you right here after this class and show you how to get to your next class. Whadda ya say?"

Reassuring warmth came over Lisa. "I'd like that."

Jack nodded. "See you then." He bounded down the hall with a wide grin on his face and fervor in his being that he couldn't ever remember feeling. He was surprised at his boldness. It felt good to see a side of him come forth that he didn't know existed. For Jack, it was a big step and one he definitely liked.

Choir was a sanctuary for Lisa. She had been in the choir at her previous school, and her teacher always told her she had an angel's voice and impeccable pitch. It had become the one place where she could escape the demons and have her spirits lifted. Singing liberated her. It set her free and made her whole.

As she looked around for an empty seat, she allowed her mind to drift to thoughts of Jack. She wondered if he might be someone who could bring back her sense of faith in people, which had been stripped from her without permission. Maybe their friendship would be a turning point that would help her adjust to her new surroundings.

True to his word, Jack was waiting in the hall when she emerged from her classroom.

"How was choir?" he asked, as she walked toward him. He wore faded jeans with a black button-up short-sleeved shirt with a straight hem that hung about six inches below his waist.

"It was good. I'm going to like it a lot."

"I'll bet you're a natural!" He smiled. "What's your next class?" "English."

"Me too. Who's your teacher?" The thought that maybe they might have another class together excited Jack. "Hemmer. Audrey Hemmer."

The enthusiasm evaporated from his face. "Copen," he said flatly.

Lisa felt Jack's disappointment, and it warmed her heart. Here was someone she didn't know very well, and already she sensed his goodness.

They engaged in small talk as they walked the hall. Jack tried to find out what Lisa's interests were, other than singing. She told him she loved playing the guitar and had also been on the volleyball team at her former school, but she wasn't sure if she would try out for the team here. In actuality she knew she wasn't playing volleyball anymore, but she didn't want Jack asking any probing questions if she stated she wasn't trying out for the team.

For Lisa, music was her focus now. She thought briefly about telling Jack that she would be playing at Lucinda's and that he should come by to see her, but she wasn't sure if the timing was right.

Jack and Lisa ate lunch together in the cafeteria, and he showed her around for the remainder of her afternoon classes. She enjoyed his attentiveness and thanked him before they bid each other farewell. As she started down the hall, he quickly removed his camera from its case, placed the view finder to his eye, and hit zoom.

"Lisa!" he called out.

She turned, her books clutched to her chest, and he fired off several snaps. Lisa was slightly mortified seeing Jack taking pictures of her, and she turned away from him. What if she wasn't presentable? What if her hair was a mess? As quickly as those thoughts entered her mind, they were replaced by, who cares? She was flattered that Jack was interested in taking pictures of her, and she turned to shoot him an approving smile. "See you tomorrow, Jack," she said, playfully blowing him a kiss before continuing on her way.

Jack felt bolstered by her reaction. Was it possible to be smitten with someone in just one day? The kiss she blew to him, playful or not, meant something to him. Waiting until tomorrow to see her would feel like an eternity.

S 35 S

© Copyright 2020 Highcountryauthor (noisivid1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2235901-I-Love-You-No-Matter-What---Chapter-1-10