*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2236295-PrepMo-2020-Day-30-Protagonist-Interview
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Mystery · #2236295
A brief interview with Antonio Marzetti, the protagonist from Manicotti and Murder
Antonio, how has life changed from the beginning to the end of this story?
The biggest change? I’ve lost my friend and confidant. Ralf Audrey. I will never forget when he first showed up at the Bistro. He took the Help Wanted sign out of the window and brought it to the kitchen door. He was a mess. I could still slightly smell the alcohol on him from the night before. His white t-shirt was dirty and his jeans ripped. He was down on his luck, for certain. He asked if I might need a dishwasher.
That was over 10 years ago. He came a long way once he took the position with me, and he did it in short order. I suppose he just needed to learn to believe in himself, and to trust that he had the ability. I made him the manager at Handi Mani. What an idea that was! And Ralf was somewhat the impetus behind that.
Now, just a little over a year later, he’s gone. I blame myself of course. Maybe if I had listened to Rita earlier. Maybe if I had not been so jaded. Maybe….. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course. Sadly, I’ve had more hindsight than foresight in my life. I don’t believe that I’ll ever find a way to make his death make sense. I will always feel somewhat responsible.
I understand that I helped Betty, who reminds me so very much of my grandmama Bianca. And interestingly enough, she was in the same position. Someone was stealing her blind. I suppose, if there is any solace, it is in the fact that I did the right thing by her, even if I was too young and naïve, too self-centered, really, to help my own family when grandmama’s situation was similar. I suppose that is the lesson, if there is one.
And I have learned – I am not sure that I can say it is trust, really, as Gary proved he could not be trusted. But I know I should have trusted Rita. I have learned to trust that things are not always what they might seem. I have also learned that getting involved in another’s affairs can be quite dangerous *chuckles* But I suppose someone has to look out for those who cannot look out for themselves. And I suppose the only way to get through this life is to find the good in all of the horrible things that can happen. And, mind you, there is always some good somewhere. I firmly believe that.
© Copyright 2020 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2236295-PrepMo-2020-Day-30-Protagonist-Interview