*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2236898-Amid-the-Corn
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2236898
An Amish couple is faced with a life-altering choice amid the corn field.
         Ephraim Byler wove his fingers between Rebekah Lapp’s. With a grin, he squeezed her hand. As he led her toward the cornfield, his boots crunched over fallen leaves. An owl took wing, soaring into the night sky. Stars poked out of the inky blackness. The moon hung, pale and eerie in the summer sky.
         Their eyes met and held. Reaching up, Ephraim brushed his knuckles against her cheek. Cheeks reddening, she searched his expression.
         In one fluid movement, he pulled her close, brushing his lips against hers. The kiss lingered as he covered her kapp¹ with a hand. Her hand framed his face. Melting against him, her eyes slid shut. At last, he eased away.
         Hazel eyes aglow, he dug his hands into his pockets.
         Laughter floated across the night air from the lamplit barn. Couples paired off, heading toward open buggies. Others milled about in the barn, bantering back and forth.
         Shadows lengthened as the corn stalks rustled in a slight breeze. He smiled, taking her hand in his. Their shoes padded on the dirt between two rows as they lost themselves in their own private world.
         Pausing, Ephraim broke off a corn cob. With deft fingers, he removed part of the husk. A slight smile tugged at his lips. Harvest was fast approaching.
         The wind whistled in the corn field as a cloud covered the moon. Rebekah shuddered. Tenderly, he draped an arm around her shoulders. Leaning close, he whispered words of comfort for her ears alone.
         A horse snorted, pawing the ground as the harness rattled. The driver uttered a soothing response as the buggy pulled out onto the road. In an unhurried fashion, he snapped the reins. Horse hooves clopped, fading into the night.
         Turning back toward Rebekah, Ephraim offered a slow smile. Gradually, he sank to the soft soil. He patted the ground in front of him.
         With a nod, she settled in, pressing her back against his chest. His arms encircled her, gathering her near. Heart hammering, he touched his lips to hers. She turned in his arms, her hands around his neck. As he drew away, he grimaced.
         Her blue eyes caught his, wide and uncertain. He traced a finger along her cheek. Leaning close, he brushed his lips against hers. Eyes sliding shut, he drank her in as if he’d just found water in the dessert. With a groan, he eased away. Hazel eyes flickering, he tipped her chin up.
         An unspoken question passed between them. He raised an eyebrow. Eyes dropping, she studied her hands.
         At last, she looked at him. Crossing her arms, she shook her head.
         Almost imperceptibly, he nodded. Gently, he covered her hands with his. Together, they stood.
         Releasing her hands, he offered a wry grin. The moon bathed them in an ethereal hue as they headed back toward his waiting buggy.



¹kapp – a head covering that Amish women wear.

483 words

© Copyright 2020 Michaela Elliott (writer4him at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2236898-Amid-the-Corn