*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2237552-Reflection
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2237552
Daily Flash Fiction 11/11/20 contest. Prompt "Who are you?"
Bobby sat in silence at his locker staring blankly at the space between his sneakers. This was the biggest game of the season. The championship would go to the winner, and despite its renown, his university hadn’t won one in 20 years. Bursting with anticipation, he flipped through a copy of the game’s program. He was the spotlight player in the program’s feature article. Bobby turned 21 tomorrow and the article made a big deal about his impending birthday.
His mind drifted from the game to wonder who might read this article. “What are the chances,” he thought, “that sh—”
“Game time!” blared the coach snapping Bobby from his daze.
The frenzied crowd roared as Bobby led his team to a thrilling victory. Afterwards, exhausted yet elated, Bobby melted into the swarm of admirers pining for autographs and selfies. Journalists shoved microphones in his face hoping for a clever headline. As the crowd dissipated, he caught the glimpse of a woman approaching him. She was tall and pretty - maybe about 40. “One more autograph.”
“Hello,” the woman whispered.
“Hi,” Bobby smiled. Sensing her shyness, he took her program and scribbled his name on the cover. “Here you go!”
That’s not what she wanted.
“Bobby,” her voice sounded urgent. “There is something I need to share with you.” He paused, a look of bewilderment befell him. “You see,” she stammered, “I—”
“Wait,” he interrupted, “who are you?”
“Well,” she continued. “I saw your story in the program...about your birthday. I think I may be your m—”
“Time to go Bobby!” barked his coach tugging Bobby away from the straggling fan.
He stopped and peered back at the woman. They locked eyes. Hers began to well up with tears. What he saw stunned him. In her face he saw his reflection.
© Copyright 2020 sreeves311 (sreeves311 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2237552-Reflection