*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2239207-Shapeshifting-Communities-in-2020
Rated: E · Article · Community · #2239207
A short article on on finding a sense of community in the midst of a pandemic.

It has been a seemingly never-ending year for communities everywhere. Living in a time of a pandemic has placed an excess amount of stress on all of us. Some days, living feels more like surviving. At a time when social distancing is required, it can easily feel like we have lost our sense of community. Driving by deserted playgrounds and barren soccer fields still brings me an immense amount of sadness, and I would do just about anything to escape my five kids for a night out enjoying dinner and a movie. Even with many activities we once enjoyed getting cancelled this year, one thing remains. It is our communities.

It is too easy to dwell on the negative impacts of the pandemic, we have all felt them, some to a much greater extent than others, but also taking some time to recognize the good things that are happening during these unusual times can provide some much-needed moments of gratitude. Our interactions within our communities look a lot different than they did just last year. Yet, despite the lack of physical togetherness, we find ourselves connected in different and meaningful ways. Perhaps the most beautiful things about our communities is seeing people taking care of each other and complying with the safe social distancing protocols for the wellbeing of everyone in our communities. Prioritizing the health of others is not always easy, especially when it brings you hardship, but we see it happening in our communities every day. I have realized this year that there are a lot of people who are willing to lend a helping hand to someone in need. Whether it is picking up groceries for a neighbor, helping watch kids so someone can go to an appointment, or delivering meals to neighbors who could use a break because they have fallen ill, people seem to be here for each other now more than ever before.

This year has also brought innovative alternatives to cherished community events and traditions. Many have switched to virtual or drive-thru events. While a drive by carnival will never replace the thrill of a high-speed turn on the tilt-a-whirl, I appreciated it this year when our community held one because I did not have to get my five kids out of the car and spend hours chasing after their enthusiastic little bodies on my own (because my husband would end up deployed the entire second half of this year). Some of the change's communities have made, has made it easier to participate in events we would not have under ordinary circumstances. I am secretly grateful for our library's virtual story time, as I am sure almost everyone else is that has ever tried to keep their kids quiet for an extended period at their local library. Virtual communities and events have taken over this year, and while we might be getting more screen time than we are used to, the technology is one of the key players in keeping the spirit of community alive.

We may feel like we are sometimes being held against our will and deprived of many of the things we love, but together we will get through this, no matter how cliché that sounds. Communities will come out of this pandemic having formed stronger bonds than they had going into it. Whenever we feel lonely, we can lean on our communities in one way or another, thanks to the many shapes they have taken on.

© Copyright 2020 angielar87 (angielar87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2239207-Shapeshifting-Communities-in-2020