*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2239818-Chasing-Rainbows-in-the-rain
by Jason
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2239818
a boy follows a rainbow,
I feel that every child in every country in this world has wondered where rainbows come from and what they mean. For some it is religious, others try to find a scientific reason. But I followed a rainbow for a very long time. This was in Ireland in the year AD 1235. It was always wet back then and drizzly. I would get so depressed because of it. I hated the rain. That was about to change.
One day I was walking to fetch my parents some potatoes from the local trading place. It was a trek I did not want to make because I knew that I would be soaked when I got home that I would be cold for hours after. I could not wait to get home and in front of the fire even though I had not even gotten my loafers on and left yet.
People say “The Luck of the Irish” is a good thing. Well, it was not back in my day. Back then we said it meaning that our luck was so horrible that we needed to create the leprechaun in order to better our lives with wishes. If you looked up the history of the Irish we had no good luck at all right up until coming to America.
But any, back to my story. I headed out the door of our little hut with a deep breath and a sigh. I winced as the first rain hit my brow and dripped down my pudgy little face. I headed to the trading depot nestled in the clearing on top of the large hillside. I looked up and saw the most wonderful thing I had ever seen in my entire life.
“Beautiful,” I said in complete and utter awe. I started following it without even realizing it. I kept walking and tripped on a log. That brought me back to what my parents sent me to do. I decided it was not as important as the rainbow I was seeing just then. I proceeded to follow it. I must have walked for an hour or so, I do not know, I lost track of time, you see.
You would never believe what happened to me while I was walking on the path. A dog had started following me and I had not noticed until just then. “What are you doing little fellow?” I started, “Where is your master?” I asked.
“I do not know where my master is,” the dog answered me, which shocked me so much that I fell and caught myself on the ground with my elbows. The dog was some kind of terrier with fluffy ears and brown eyes.
“Ow,” I said wincing with pain. I did a double look. “Did you just say something?” I asked, “What is your name?, the dog just looked at me for a bit and I thought it was all in my head when he told me that his name was Ohara. Astonished and shocked, I wanted to run away but I decided this could be fun. I welcomed him to follow if he truly wanted to and he said thank you.
Weird. Well, the rest of the trip was almost uneventful, we walked another couple hours without a word. I kept telling myself that it was all in my head. We were just about at the end of this rainbow in the middle of the woods, me with a talking dog. Any other day I would have said Baloney Maloney, but today was not every other day.
Mid stride a cat comes up to me and says: “Watch where I am going, will you.” I almost fainted right there, but I kept my cool since I had already heard what the dog had to say. Now I offered the cat to walk with us and he accepted. Apparently, the Cat which was a gray tabby was named Liam. Keeping my cool we continued our walk.
I could see the place where the other side of the rainbow meets the ground. The earth seemed to be glowing, It looked like there could be a pot O' gold and a leprechaun there. I guess I would never know because that was when I woke up and was saying,
“Chasing Rainbows In The Rain…”


719 word count.
© Copyright 2020 Jason (frosty2shoes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2239818-Chasing-Rainbows-in-the-rain