*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2240122-Twelve-Days-of-Christmas-2020-days-11-12
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Assignment · Music · #2240122
Hallelujah Chorus incomplete
I dated a man once who tried to impress me from the moment I climbed into his car. I expect he thought he could. After all, I lived in Working Class with a Bad Reputation; he lived in Affluent. Not just Affluent, but Affluent bordering Wealthy. Oooh. I was torn between amused and offended, and failed to gasp in awe. He moved on to discussing culture.

I heard a lot about how he would love to go to Symphony Hall for a concert. One day, he planned to attend; it was a goal of his. Instead of being impressed, I said, “Yeah, I’ve been there.” He was shocked. I was an Easy Girl from WCwaBR—I’d been to Symphony hall and he hadn’t. I told him it was beautiful inside and he should go. I told him the acoustics were great. He struggled to wrap his mind around this, and I took pity on him. I assured him it was only a rehearsal. It soothed his ego.

He wanted to go to Theatre someday. I told him I’d been to the Theatre District. I had. We ate an excellent restaurant called Rocco’s. I said I’d seen plays. He asked which ones. I said Annie, and he sneered. When I followed it with, “and Driving Miss Daisy, he refused to believe me. Tickets for Driving Miss Daisy were unobtainium, but my brother could get tickets to anything, including that. I explained that. He thought I was lying.

I’d seen The Nutcracker, too, but didn’t count it—it was ballet.

This was the first fifteen minutes of the date. We never had another.

At this time of year, I have to listen to Handel’s Messiah. It’s well worth the listen. The most famous piece, the Hallelujah Chorus, is my choice for today. This version was performed by a flash mob at a food court.

{link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE}

For a different take, try the Silent Monks:{link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhjWdr-LAA}




© Copyright 2020 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2240122-Twelve-Days-of-Christmas-2020-days-11-12