*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242187-Second-Race-of-the-Frostbiting-Season
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #2242187
Another boating adventure.
"Let's take another win," Jamie said, as he and Billie launched their 420. Not as cold as the previous week, but everyone still in wet suits.

"Haven't seen that boat before," Jamie said.

"New kids," Billie replied, "just moved to town; in my class at school. We'll run the line before the start. We want to get as close as possible to the orange ball marking the East end of the starting gate."

"BANG!" Their timing was good, crossed the line first, positioned for the best wind.

"That new boat is second," Jamie reported, "not gaining."

This week's course was shorter due to light wind; down-river to Green Can 5; up-river to Can 7; back through the starting gate; repeat once, to the finish.

"I'm thirsty," Billie said. "Pass me the water jug."

Jamie untied it, and passed it to Billie, who took a drink, before tying it to the stern cleat.

"Geez, they're catching us," Jamie complained on the second leg. Billie was hitting the marks right, and had Jamie trimming the sails as needed, but their speed had dropped.

"The new kids are pulling ahead," Jamie said on the last leg.

"Can't let that happen," Billie replied. Suddenly, their boat found a burst of speed.

"BANG!" The gun signaled a dead heat finish.

As the boys got their 420 back in the racks, Dad and Mom were there to greet them.

"What happened to your water jug," Dad asked.

"Must have fallen overboard and become untied," Billie answered, as he went over to help the new kids. He returned to introduce them.

"Folks, this is Marilyn," Billie said, "and her sister Barbara."

With their wet suit head coverings off, both twins had long dark hair.

"I think Billie's at that age," Mom whispered to Dad. Dad winked.
© Copyright 2021 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242187-Second-Race-of-the-Frostbiting-Season