*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242764-3-The-Suitcase
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2242764
The Golden Key


The Suitcase

George gave it to me then ran. The golden key is hot. I throw it to the floor. What does it open? It looks rather large. Perhaps a door? A vehicle? Too large for a bike lock. Too heavy for someone’s heart.

The key to life! That’s it! I have the key to life and all its riches. George did say to use it wisely before he scurried off.

There is a suitcase in front of me. The suitcase is small, battered. Someone left it behind. Perhaps the key will fit this?

I try the golden key, it fits. I unlock the suitcase before me. It is packed with memories. They come spilling out, filling the room. I cannot put them back into the suitcase. Once the suitcase is unlocked, whatever is inside will be unleashed forever. A ‘Pandora’s box’ as it were.

From the suitcase escaped good and bad, fun and games, sorrow and pain, happiness and contentment, birth and death. Pictures escape, snapshots of moments shared, moments of time captured forever. A heart that was broken floated past my eyes, dreams that were never realized stopped and said hello then walked away, lives shattered by accidents tapped me on the shoulder for a second, and then the suitcase snapped shut.

I used the golden key again and this time the suitcase let loose all the joy and happiness it had kept inside for generations. Love and peace flowed out without stopping. I lay down and let them flow over me.

George came later to find me there. They say I died with a smile on my face.
© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242764-3-The-Suitcase