*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2243662-Quincys-Tavern
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2243662
I did not create nor do I own Quincy's Tavern
         Corin stood looking down at the puddle. It was nothing special. Just an ordinary rain puddle from the previous day’s storm. Corin stepped into it, just with one foot, to test it out. The water barely came above his ankle. Not nearly high enough to even get into his boots. Yet, the Captain had chosen this spot.
         “Any puddle would do.” Corin heard the deep voice of Kain coming up behind him. “It’s simply a doorway. The depth is irrelevant.”

         Kain walked up to the puddle and looked into it. Corin studied him as he stared down at the muddy water. Then Kain turned to the others. “Are you ready?” he asked. Nobody answered but all nodded to Kain. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small coin. Corin couldn’t see what was on the coin. It looked wooden, with a silver edge. He couldn’t make out the details before Kain flipped it up into the air and as it landed on the puddle it just fell right in. No splash. No ripple. The puddle didn’t change at all. Then Kain stepped into it and disappeared beneath the surface like the coin did. Corin watched with wide eyes as the crew stepped in one by one until he stood alone with the Captain looking at the still, cloudy water.

         “Portals can be daunting. Yes?” The Captain asked. “Do not worry. This one is rather pleasant. Not like the flames you had to walk through before. Besides, most will never get the chance to go to this place. Consider yourself lucky.” He chuckled and stepped in, leaving Corin alone.

         “I guess I don’t have a choice.” Corin said aloud to himself. He steadied himself, closed his eyes, and took a step forward to place his foot in the puddle. He felt for when his foot hit the water but that feeling never came. Instead, Corin’s foot stepped down onto something hard. He opened his eyes and saw he was standing on a wooden floor. Pleasant scents of pies, soups, meats, and warmed beverages filled his nose. The stress in his shoulders was gone. He felt a warm happiness flood through him. Then, finally, he looked up.

         He was in a tavern. Rustic, yet very well kept. He looked around and saw that the walls were covered in tapestries and shelves with various knick knacks and books. A small purple bird fluttered around landing on different plants growing throughout the room. Small orbs of different colored light floated here and there like fireflies shining their glow around the tavern. Corin saw the rest of the crew at a table. Kain and the Captain stood talking to the man behind the bar. Corin couldn’t quite make out what he looked like. He walked over and sat down with the rest of the crew. They were laughing and drinking and talking about old battles. Corin just couldn’t stop looking around the room though. There were so many fascinating objects.

         “Go get yourself a drink, kid. You deserve to relax. Talk to Quincy.” Kain said from behind Corin. Jeez. How does he always sneak up on me like that? Corin thought to himself. He turned to look at Kain. “He’ll steer you right.” Then Kain gave Corin a slap on the back. Friendly, but it still knocked Corin off balance. Kain towered over Corin so it was understandable.

         Corin looked to the bar. The bartender, Quincy, as Kain called him, had his back turned to Corin as he walked up and sat at the bar. He studied the man as he was pulling some small cakes from an oven. The scents filled Corin’s head and he swore he saw a fairy fly past before he regained his wits.
“Hi, I’m Co…” he started to say before he was cut off.
“Boy. I know exactly who you are. You are young Corin. Son of Seffhrea. Not that imposter, red-haired fake that waltzes around the temple pretending. No. The real Seffhrea. My question is, why is the child of a forgotten goddess sitting in my tavern? I digress,” he said. Never turning away from his cakes which he was now frosting. “I happen to have just the thing for you.”

         Corin sat in bewilderment as the bartender turned to him and placed one elbow on the bar and leaned in. A strand of dark hair fell across his face. His gaze demanded Corin’s attention. Corin couldn’t look away. “Yes. I have just the thing for you.” He said again with I slight smile. "You see. I have just the thing for everyone. It's kind of what I do. I collect things. Important things. Strange things. I also like to dabble in alchemy a little." He went over to a well behind the bar and pulled out several small bottles before mixing them in different amounts in a tall glass. He stirred it and rubbed his fingers together over the top. Golden sparks showered over the glass and he slid it back down the table to Corin.
Corin caught the glass and looked at it. Silver and gold sparkles glowed and swirled in a cloudy purple liquid. He picked it up and put it to his lips and took a small sip. A sweet, fruity flavor filled his mouth. Warmth flowed through his body and his pain and stress disappeared. He looked at Quincy who had an odd smile on his face. “ I thought you might like that. It’s a special recipe,” he said with a slight laugh. “Your mom taught it to me. Now, for that thing I said I have for you. You just wait here and forget you exist for a moment. It does wonders for the mind.” Then he turned and disappeared through a door. Corin just sat there. Not thinking. Not moving. Not…existing. At least not in his mind.

         Soon, Quincy returned and Corin’s attention came back as the tavern keep place a sheathed sword on the bar and slid it toward Corin. “This…this is just the thing for you, boy.” He said. “It’s a crystal blade. The blue one of lore. Your father wielded this before his, uh, untimely demise, yet another thing your mother gave to me. Now, it is yours. Do not lose it. More importantly, do not let anyone know you have it.” He rubbed his hand across the top of it. “Especially not the Captain. He is not who he says he his. I have enchanted this to look like a normal blade. And take this.” Quincy reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin which he slid across the bar to Corin.
         Corin picked it up and looked at it. It was wooden, with a silver lining on the edge. The design on the front was constantly changing. Corin’s eyes couldn’t focus on it. He put it in his pocket and reached out and picked up the sword. “That coin will bring you back here. Just toss it in a rain puddle somewhere and it will bring you to the Tavern. Don’t lose it. You only get one per visit.” He said before he announced to everyone.
         “I think everyone has gotten what they’ve come for. Now, I have some pies to make. Good bye. Do come again sometime.” Then he put his hand up and snapped again. Corin’s eyes forced themselves shut and everything went dark and silent. Then he felt a breeze. The musty scent of the forest slowly got stronger. Corin opened his eyes and he was back in the forest. Looking down at the puddle. He felt his pocket. The coin was still there. Good. He thought to himself. I have a feeling I’m going to need that later. He glanced at the Captain with unease. I’ll be watching him too.
© Copyright 2021 Jefferson M. Suede (vyse666 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2243662-Quincys-Tavern