*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2245976-The-Event
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2245976
Flash Fiction
The Event

“Are you going to wear that?” Ted asked?

“I don’t know,” Sandy said, sitting at her vanity table, finishing her make up.

“We have to leave soon ...”

“I know.”

“Well, didn’t you take this out to wear it?”

“Yes, but I was thinking about this lipstick and I’ve changed my mind.”

“You’re going to change your clothes to match your lipstick?”

“I think so,” Sandy said, looking in the mirror.

“That’s crazy.”

“Why is it crazy?”

“It’s lipstick? This is a whole dress! I could see if it was purple and this was, well... something that wouldn’t look good with purple, but this is just regular clothes and regular lipstick!”

“Is that how you see me? Regular Sandy in my regular clothes and regular make up? Your regular old wife?”

“Of course not. I just mean...”

“You just mean, hurry up, I don’t care what you look like. I want to get there so we will get good seats, right? You know, I go to all your places with you, and try to look nice and talk to all your friends, even the ones I don’t like, and I’m beginning to realize it doesn’t matter in the slightest if I go or not. Why don’t you just go without me tonight.”

“Ah, I can’t...”

“Why not? Is it a couples only event or something?”

“No.”

“Well, what is it then? Why do I have to go?”

“It’s a surprise party, they’re expecting both of us.”

“A surprise party? A surprise party for who? Why didn’t you tell me! How could you take me to a surprise party and not tell me about who it’s for? Who’s it for?”

“It’s for you. Happy Birthday Honey!”

“Ted... My birthday isn’t for a month.”

“And, that’s how I knew you’d be surprised!”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2245976-The-Event