*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246831-Flight
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2246831
A brief flight in an air balloon
Words 749


My alarm clock chimes. On a normal day I would hit the snooze button, but not today. Today is going to be exciting, a far cry from the usual slog into work, battling the traffic. No, today I will be flying.

         The luminous numbers glow green, illuminating the darkness of the bedroom. Four a.m.

         Opening the curtains, I assess the weather. So important today, the conditions need to be just right. I’m relieved to see the old oak tree standing sentinel at the bottom of the garden has no wind bending the branches or rustling its leaves. The moon is cold and clear, lighting up the night sky, casting a ghostly light onto my overgrown lawn.


         My clothes are laid out on the chair in the corner. I selected them last night, casual but warm. Jeans, jumper and leather jacket. I dress, trying to be as quiet as possible, so as not to disturb my husband or the children.


         Driving in the darkness so early in the morning gives me a sense of being the only one awake. I resist the urge to turn on the radio, wanting to relish this rare time to myself. The only voice is the one from the navigation app on my phone directing me to my destination.

         My tyres crunch to a halt outside a large, corrugated iron shed. There is only one other car parked. I check the time. I’m a little early.

         “Hello, come in,” a young man’s voice welcomes me.

         “Hi,” I reply, “I am in the right place, aren’t I? Northam Balloon flights?”

         “That’s right, the rest of the crew will be here very soon. Make yourself a coffee.” He points to the kitchen. “Flown before?” he asks.

         “First time, I’m so excited. A balloon flight has been on my bucket list for ages.”

         “It’s going to be a perfect day for it, there are light winds forecast with a bit of mist, but that will soon burn off.”

         Others arrive and we are given a rundown of the day’s events and safety procedures.

         There will be eight of us flying today, some are nervous, but everyone is excited.




         It takes almost two hours for the crew to select the perfect launch point and for the magnificent red balloon to be inflated. We all stand in awe beside the wicker basket in which we’ll be standing for take off. The basket seems so flimsy.

         “Will this hold us all?” An overweight, middle-aged man asks.

         “Don’t worry about anything. I’ll arrange you so the weight is evenly distributed.” The pilot, Carl, assures him.

         Soon, we are all gripping the edges of the basket, ready for take off.

         “Welcome, everyone. We’ll be flying at altitudes of between 500 to 2,500 feet. There is a little cloud cover today, but we should be able to break through it.”

         I peer up at the sky, at the cumulus clouds, piled up like great big cauliflowers. I can’t wait to be up there amongst them.

         The burner, the devise used to ignite and project flammable fuel, blasts hot air into the balloon causing it to rise. My grip tightens as we rise, almost tentatively at first, then with more confidence, until we are flying over the fields below. I laugh out loud, almost unaware of the other passengers.

         I lift my face up to the sky. I imagine I’m a bird, because once the burner is switched off, there’s complete silence, no sense of air movement. We are at one with the air.

         I look down at the tiny houses and cars. Horses begin to gallop in their paddocks as our shadow spooks them.

         Still we rise, higher and higher, the clouds are so much closer now. Some are puffy and sweet, others grey and uniform, while others still are so erratic and capricious, my eyes start to imagine things; bunnies, cows or angels.

         Now we are in those clouds. It’s like being in thick fog. I turn to look at my fellow passengers and their faces too are filled with wonder. All at once we burst through into a glorious blue vastness. The clouds are a carpet on which we drift. I’m in heaven.

         Carl’s voice cuts through my ecstasy, “We will begin our descent, ladies and gentlemen. I remind you of the landing procedure.”

         I’m brought back to reality. The earth comes into focus once more and all too soon we return to earth, literally, with a bump.

© Copyright 2021 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246831-Flight