*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246888-Fifty-Years-of-War-Chapter-One
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2246888
The Escape. Kari has to escape from her home when its attacked.
Graceful, haunting clouds, danced into her room.
The expelled ghosts of the flames slithered in deviously through the space below the door. Kari had just finished eating lunch and that’s when she first noticed the smell. The scent of burning wood engulfed the room, and she turned towards the bedroom door. Kari stood for a moment, completely unmoved at the sight. It was almost as if she could hear the smoke hissing ominous words in ancient tongues.
Her observational state was interrupted by the motion of someone swiftly opening the door. The movement allowed the build-up of smoke in the hallway to violently flood the room, like water being released from a dam.
Within the vortex of smoke, there were brief moments of clarity, and that’s when she saw the dark silhouette standing on the threshold. She tried to make out his identity but her sight was obstructed. “Follow me!” The voice yelled. She immediately recognized it as her brother Robert. She began to run to him, but the smoke got to her before she could reach the door and she collapsed.
Robert leaped through the clouds to her. He gently picked up her body off the floor and ran over to the balcony doors. He placed her on the balcony floor and left the doors open to pull out some of the smoke then returned to the room. Kari began to breathe normally again while Robert tore apart her room. “What’s going on?” She said. He didn’t hear her and when he was finished in her room he went back to the balcony. “Our estate is being attacked from the front, they are most likely going to make it back here soon, I need you to come with me. He handed Kari her sword and they ran into the hallway.
It was clear to her that the smoke wasn’t from some ill-timed fire, but something more sinister. She held her sword in the attack position as they ran to the main hallway. Robert grabbed her wrist and pulled her down to the floor. The stone floor was hot, a lot hotter than it had been in all the years she had walked there.
They cowered against a wall as he looked around the corner making sure it was clear. “Get ready.” He said. He pulled her with him across the hall and into the first maid's quarters. She had hoped to see what was going on but the flames and clouds were too obstructive. Her sight may have been hindered but she could clearly hear people screaming and the sound of swords clanging against each other.
Robert closed the door behind them. The room they entered was less smoke-filled which Kari was grateful for. He put down the two bags he was holding below the only window and placed his hands strategically on the bottom of the frame. He braced himself for a struggle but the window was not difficult to open, like most of its kind in their home and it effortlessly flung up. It hit the top of the frame very quickly and shattered violently.
The tiny particles of glass rained down, showering him in an oddly beautiful vision of light refraction. He bent down to allow the glass to fall out of his hair, and as he did someone burst through the door. Kari jumped back as the man in all black looked at them then barricaded the door with a chest. Robert looked relieved. “Good you made it.” The man seemed winded from being chased, but had a look of amusement on his face. “Kari this is Jeplin. No matter what happens, always trust him.” She looked at him. “What’s going on?” “I don’t have a lot of time to explain, Jeplin is a close advisor of our father and one of my closest friends, he is in charge of protecting you, I packed you two bags, one is food and the other clothes and other stuff you will need. Now go.” He gestured to the window.
Jeplin was a strong but slender looking man. He was only a bit taller than Kari and had extremely pale skin. His eyes sparkled with excitement as he looked at the door which someone was trying to force open.
Jeplin walked to the window and looked down to see what was below. “Follow me.” He said. Kari looked at Robert. He knew she was concerned. “Go.” He urged. “I’ll meet up with you later.” Easing her mind, she said goodbye to him and turned to Jeplin. "Follow me." He said, putting out his hand to help her up to the window ledge with him. He let go of her then and effortlessly jumped like a nimble cat. She carefully held onto the frame She looked down and saw bushes and rocks. She was careful along the ledge. Following his instruction, she jumped. She was not as skilled as he was and her light dress caught on a bristly bush. She tried to untangle it but her attention was drawn by a loud whistle.
The man was standing in the open and a horse appeared almost magically out from the forest. She pulled herself out of the bush and walked towards him. The man turned and was looking at the window two stories above the window they jumped from. She looked in the same direction.
There was a strange glow. His face had mostly remained unmoving but at that moment he showed an expression of panic. He grabbed her wrist and told her to run. They ran quickly and when there was a loud bang he pulled her aggressively to the ground and covered her body with his.
It was a large explosion and Kari could feel the hot breath of the fire being released from its stone-like prison. She screamed. The flames and heat arched over them like a tumultuous ocean wave. The man looked back and saw that his prediction was right, the section of the wall had been completely obliterated. “Are you alright?” He asked while carefully helping her off the ground. “Yes.” She said. She had a hint of a smile on her lips, something she tried to hide but Jeplin noticed. She wasn’t smiling because of the danger, but the excitement. He grabbed the bags and helped her mount the horse. He looked at her and realized she was wearing a dress and boots but didn’t have anything warm on. “Hold on.” He said. He pulled his thick fur-lined winter cloak from his bag and gave it to her. She clasped it around her neck while admiring the craftsmanship. Jeplin jumped onto the horse behind her.

The horse was fast, faster than any she had been on. It had a gorgeous gray hide that shimmered under the sunlight. She ran her hands along its neck. She could feel bumps and hidden bruises that showed its age. His mane was black and a tiny bit tangled but mostly silky
They tore through the countryside. She held on and crouched down to avoid the harsh wind. The hum of the air passing her ears silenced all other noises and any attempt at communication. She could feel the very tops of her ears becoming completely numb. She was alerted to them when she felt a pang of pain contouring their edges. She was grateful that the cold chill was only on her ears but it was still uncomfortable. She pulled a bit of the cloak that was awkwardly draped around her torso up to cover more of her body and lifted the hood onto her head. The hood was a welcome shelter for her wind ravaged face. She could feel her ears and cheeks softening with the coddling from the thick fur.
The man spurred his horse, not slowing or wavering. Kari wasn't sure whether she was safe with him, but remembering her brother's approval quelled her. She was too caught up in the excitement to think much more about it negatively. She had always dreamed of going on an adventure and it was already more exciting than anything she could’ve imagined.
Jeplin continued to look behind as he rode. He didn’t dare say what he saw, but they were fleeing indeed. Jeplin was usually alone and had a very easy time protecting himself. He was skilled and clever if his mastery of combat somehow failed him. He knew he couldn’t fail with Kari around. He couldn’t allow her to come under any sort of harm. It was a new dimension for him that he rarely dealt with.

Time seemed to pass as quickly as they rode. When the sun began to set, a mix of glistening light and calming tones of grays and blues canopied the sky. The grandeur was overwhelming as they reached gaping, sky freeing fields. A large sea of unhindered sights. Wave after wave of long dry grass rippled methodically.
After eating on the run Kari drifted off to the images of beautiful amber seas of wheat and grass peeking from the newly melted snow, mimicking the soft mane of the horse that was dancing gently on her cheeks. They rode for almost a whole day before they took their first true break.

The warm orange glow of several flames huddled in a haphazardly constructed fire pit illuminated her eyes as she awoke. She immediately noticed that she was no longer on the horse. She was lying on the ground close to the flames, wrapped in her cloak and a thick blanket.
There was a package of food lying next to her head, she indulged. When she finished all that she could, she slowly sat up. She noticed the outline of the man looking over a map. The flicker of the firelight cascaded across his face. His skin, which was sickly pale, seemed daunting under the dark, soulless sky. He looked at her as if he could sense her observing him. They sat in silence for a bit. Jeplin was not one for talking a lot, he felt very comfortable with silence. Kari was uncomfortable, dozens of thoughts raced through her mind. She tried to figure out whether she should ask him any questions to quell her thoughts. She contemplated what to ask, then broke the silence. "What are you planning for me? Who are we running from?" He sat silently for a moment. She looked at him and waited intently.
“There is a faction that has been making its way into the south. They have been pillaging and setting fire to every town in their path...” “That's a little more optimistic than what I had imagined.” “What?” “Well, I thought our home was targeted specifically but if they were just attacking everyone…” ”No, your assumption is correct.” He said. “They were destroying everything... in their search for your family.” “What?” She said, shocked. “Why would they want my family?” He looked up dramatically from the map he was looking at. “You don’t know?” Kari panicked a bit. “Know what? What am I supposed to know?” Jeplin took a deep breath. “It’s not my place to tell you, but it would have made it a lot easier if Georg… your father, had already done so.” She looked at the flames, they danced violently with the wind.
“Your father was expecting this day, the day when people would hunt for your family, that is why he created a plan to protect you." "Plan?" She asked while lowering her voice and leaning forward. The grass caressed her arms with their brittle bodies. “For years he knew that your home would eventually be discovered. We tried all that we could to protect you and Robert.” “Robert hardly needs to be protected...” “Now yes, but years ago he was very inexperienced, probably five or six years ago. Have you been taught any type of fighting tactics?” “I don't know anything fancy, I've been learning sword combat for almost a year now.” “Oh good, if something happens you will be able to hold your own.”
They both remained silent for a few minutes. The heat from the fire leaned towards her for a moment.
“What was the plan?” “Well, the intention was to put you through fighting lessons, then, and as soon as he heard the word of an invasion he was to send for me. I was then supposed to take you with me into hiding.” “Well, it sounds like everything worked out then.” “Not exactly.” He said, “there were other forms of fighting you were supposed to learn. Your father cut it much too close honestly, this war has been going on for so long he should’ve been ready.” “Could you tell me about the war?” He smiled. “Sure. But it might take a while.”


Long ago before the knowledge of most living, the era of the Golden Kings began. Now you can see the remnants of what was thriving then, so not all was lost to the ground.
There were many kingdoms, just like there are now. There were several main ones involved. The Kingdom of Asiroth, the Kingdom of Edeagar, the Kingdom of Redponn, the Kingdom of Ocarithi, and the Kingdom of Calcaria. There are, and were others but they aren’t important at the moment. A man named Helam was the King of Ocarithi. He was an average ruler in the beginning from what I was told. Not exceptional but not horrid either. Something happened, which has been lost to those who told the stories of the past, but something led Helam to become power-hungry. He became obsessed with researching something, and that led him to try and find a specific tool or artifact of some kind. The information is very vague regarding this.
Helam built up a regime and a powerful army then took over Calcaria. The kings of the five kingdoms were part of an alliance and he broke it. The king of Asiroth, and Edegear William and James respectively, decided to meet with him. They tried to understand his actions and help repair the damage he did but they weren’t able to reason with him. He had secretly been building an army and he had become very powerful. Despite his army and power, the alliance was larger and stronger and he was banished off the continent to an island up north.
Many believe it was a mistake to spare him because while he was away he built an even bigger army. He had more power than he ever had before. He returned and took back Ocarithi and Calcaria very quickly. King James, King William, and King Richon of Redponn joined together to beat him. Helam knew he couldn’t beat three armies at once so he sent mercenaries to silently assassinate the kings. A much less hone table strategy, but it was very effective.

He killed King William and upon hearing that King James became vengeful. He pulled out all of his fire and fury on Helam and left their city destroyed, but he too was killed.

Helam killing James and William was what started the full out war. James and William both had eldest sons around the same age as each other and they were very close. They both rose to be King. Like their fathers, they were very close. The new King of Edeagar became very jealous of his best friend, the King of Asiroth. The king of Asiroth was very generous. He helped a lot of people with serving justice, which made him very popular.
To make this story a bit shorter, The king of Edeagar betrayed everyone and joined forces with Helam. He assassinated the King and Queen of Asiroth and their heirs. It became a large mess. The exact events after that are garbled. Helam took over more cities and eventually the King of Edeagar killed Helam and took his place. That’s who we are fighting against now essentially.” Kari tried to process everything he said. It still seemed like a far off story. Distant from the current times.
She started thinking about the day before. Spring was in the process of approaching and her estate was celebrating the end of winter. It was the first hint of a warm day and the pond behind her house had melted. She ran through the field, letting the air engulf her, a freeing feeling compared to the dreary halls of her home. Whenever she was wandering out near her home, those freeing natural moments always led her to the same place, a small river that pooled at the edge of the forest. The river was decently shallow and it weaved in and out of the bottoms of trees, leaving the roots to create unique grasping hand-like sculptures. She loved the way the roots arched over the river like they intentionally moved out of its way.
The water had a silvery sheen that glistened and flickered around under the sun. Like its own breed of fish, the movements were fluid and constant. She lifted her dress. Like most of the clothes that she wore at the end of winter, it was a pale color. Tan, to be exact and it was reminiscent of some form of arid sand.
She had not donned her stockings that morning or shoes, so she would not be hindered. She held her dress up in her hands and lowered her leg slowly until her toes dipped into the water. Testing the cool relaxing pool, she pulled her foot up again then re-inserted it even deeper than before. The icy water was refreshing, and it was easy to tell that winter was still clinging on to any physical form it could. She placed both feet into a shallow section. Standing, the water only up to her calves. She smiled. Though her home was well-equipped with luxurious amenities, nothing was more pleasurable to her than the simplicity of pure nature. That day, the air was clean. There were only a few hints of snow dusting the shadowy parts of the grass and the sun beat down warming everything else.

"We better keep going." Jeplin's voice jolted her back to reality, and she sat up again. He handed her some food and clothes, "Now, in the middle of the night?" She protested. "It's the safest time, especially if we are being trailed." She agreed, not wanting to deal with any confrontation. She honestly hadn’t thought that someone might be following them. The thought haunted her. They mounted the horse in the same fashion as before and continued on their way.

They always ate while riding unless it was a good time to rest and start a fire. Jeplin was careful about where and when to rest. She continued to eat as she relaxed. She laid her head on the horse's mane. She could feel the heaving of its breath beneath her. An oddly soothing rhythm that let her drift off again.
Another day passed and she began to conjure more questions in her mind. "Are we running in general or is there an end goal?" She said after finishing her breakfast, hoping this would not be a new constant. The wind almost completely muffled her question but Jeplin still heard it. "Do not worry, we are not going to be riding for eternity, we will be arriving somewhere soon." Silent smugness was her response.
She felt very far away from home. The feeling of loneliness was spurred by the miles and miles of simple grass leaving the sky open to the eyes. Tears ran down her face but they were swiftly removed by the wind. She was grateful, she did not want Jeplin to see her weakness. She did not like anyone to see her cry. In her daze, she watched as they began to pass a forest.
Each tree was thin, tall, dark, and ominous. They all towered above them, bare leafless monsters. Her body slipped off the horse a bit but she was immediately held in place by Jeplin's forearms. He never really seemed to be caught off guard by anything while riding, but he was most definitely not accustomed to traveling with anyone.
The sunset on another day. Kari could see the signs of a village in the distance, the small dots of light danced on the horizon like fireflies. She excitedly hoped that they would be stopping there.
As they got closer to the city they began to pass a collection of houses. The houses became more prevalent as they got closer to the city walls. The houses were not very notable. The walls were made of mostly dirt and clay, and the entrance to the city matched the dreariness via a decrepit stone pathway. “Viri Cinis.” He said pointing towards the city. There were not many streets that she could see from the main road, and what she could see looked as though it had been ravaged by a fire or a very rough winter. Jeplin gestured for her to get off the horse with him and they started walking off the pathway.
They sneaked through the gate and immediately turned to an ally. They hid in the shadows until they reached a stable.
He looked at her and before she could ask any questions, he answered them. "We are trying to lie low... you need a disguise.” “Why?” She asked. “I doubt anyone here knows who I am.” “This is a place where you don't want to be noticed. You will understand once we start walking around.” She shrugged and decided to trust him. “OK, what should I do?” He pulled a leather strap off of his wrist. “Pull up your hair.”
She was old enough to look a bit like a woman but it was easily remedied. Her frame was thin so anything overly bulky made her look like a young boy. He placed the hood from her cloak onto her head. He then knelt in front of her and wiped his hands in the mud.
He stood only inches from her. He needed to make her clothes less pristine. She looked at the mud, but her attention was drawn from his hands to his eyes. She looked directly at them. His eyes were a dazzling brown. She continued staring almost to challenge him but he remained focused. His hands slowly caressed her face, leaving a few streaks on her right cheek. She had not expected the mud to be as cold as ice. She shivered. He finished.
"No matter what happens, do not speak." She opened her mouth to say something, but he stopped her by pushing her pack of items into her arms. "Keep a hand on your belongings at all times." They walked back to the main road.
The streets were grimy and narrow leaving little room for anything. Each building was seemingly more disgusting than the one before. Her eyes darted back and forth trying to blend in and remain alert. They reached the more inhabited section of town and she realized why Jeplin took all of the precautions. The streets were covered in large obnoxious men, mostly drunk and covered in dirt. She stayed at Jeplin's side. The slop that was supposed to be road clung to their boots and splattered with any movement. Everything was a disgusting brown and gray mess. Jeplin grabbed her hand as they approached what looked like an abandoned tavern. Kari carefully followed almost slipping on the crooked steps leading into the building.
The inside was darker than the night sky, save for a few candles that hauntingly glowed in the corners. She jumped when she saw two large men attacking each other only a few tables away. Like wild animals, they clawed at each other to survive. Jeplin looked at her. It was his way of silently telling her to stay.
He crossed to the bar and began talking to the man behind it. As the men got louder, she shrunk into the shadows. Her eyes remained on Jeplin. After a few minutes, he gestured for her to join them behind the counter. She slowly and carefully walked to him. She felt as though each person could hear her every move, the floorboards creaked with each assumption.
The barkeeper led them up an almost completely blacked out set of stairs. Kari, relieved, placed her hand on the railing searching for stability. In return, her hand was covered with soot. Wanting any release from the stairs the ash clung to her clothes and skin.
A bedroom was their destination. It was small, and only held one tiny bed made of clumps of hay and a fireplace. Not unlike the stairs, everything was black and dingy. Jeplin gestured for her to take the bed. "I have business to attend to. He handed her food. "Do not open the door for anyone and do not leave this room." She nodded. She had no intention of leaving. She was exhausted. He lit the fire for her then left. She locked the door after him and climbed into the bed.











© Copyright 2021 JR Bancroft (jrbancroft at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246888-Fifty-Years-of-War-Chapter-One