*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247663-We-Will-Never-Know
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2247663
Changes are difficult. Some are forever. Flash fiction 222 words
"What am I going to do?" Ciarra's hands shot upwards clutching her thick black hair as she began rocking frenetically on the sofa. "It's too late now."

"Well, I've never believed it's really ever too late. Sure, it's never easy, but if it's physically possible, and with the right motivation, people can change." She looked down at her lap and at her clenched, but motionless hands.

"How can you be so calm right now?"

"I don't know that calm is the right word. I've never experienced anything like this. I don't know how I'm supposed to act, how I'm supposed to feel. I guess I'm numb," she began to laugh, "but not comfortably numb."

"I'm going to start screaming if you don't stop laughing." Ciarra pounded her fists on the coffee table at each word. She jumped to her feet so suddenly she almost tumbled forward. "Stop it- stop it right now. You've got to help me figure out my next step. You read mysteries. You're always watching forensic shows. You have to have some idea."

The grey-haired woman shook her head. "Well, I'm absolutely sure it's too late for him to change." She nodded toward the body on the kitchen floor. "All that blood. There's just so much of it. Hmm- wonder if he's comfortably numb. Guess we will never know."
© Copyright 2021 Grin 'n Bear It! (meg98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247663-We-Will-Never-Know