*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247817-The-Encounter
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2247817
Flash Fiction
The Encounter

“Start at the beginning.”

“The beginning, how simple that sounds, and how complex that is, really. Where exactly does, something start?”

“Mother,” Janice interrupted, “tell me what happened to the kitchen.”

“It was a wonderful plan!”

“You always have wonderful plans Mother ... is that wine?”

“Oh! Would you like some? It’s yummy!”

“Where did you get that?”

“I found it in the broom closet! Such a funny place to put wine, Honey.”

“Why were you in the broom closet?”

“Oh, I spilled the sugar, I was going to sweep it up for you.”

“I still see it on the floor.”

“Oh, yes, I got distracted, by the wine actually!”

“What were you trying to make here, Mom?”

“Oh, I was going to make you a birthday cake! A lovely birthday cake for my darling girl.”

“That’s so nice. Maybe we can make one together. Maybe in August, when it IS my birthday.”

“When is it now?”

“It’s March.”

“Oh, well, no wonder it’s so cold outside!”

“You went outside?”

“I just opened the door to let the cat in.”

“We don’t have a cat. Never mind, how about we get you back to your room now.”

“That would be lovely!”

Later, in her room, ‘Mother’ was on the phone with her friend Alex, “I think in about a week she’ll be ready to send me back. I had to let her try having me live with her, it seemed so important to her! But it’s boring as all get out! I just need her to think it’s best for me to be at Greendale. Save my seat at the poker game, OK? You’re a doll!”

Janice stood outside the door listening, hoping that when she was that age, she’d still be as full of life as her wonderful mother.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247817-The-Encounter