*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2248060-Susan-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2248060
Flash Fiction
Susan Smiled

“Call the police!” Jenny yelled.

“Why?” Susan said, looking up calmly from the can of soup in her hand.

“This is the second week they’ve had that sign up, that’s definitely false advertising!”

“I don’t think they can be arrested for that Mom. You could call the better business bureau.”

“I’m going to call the manager!”

“I’m sure he’s already on his way over, I believe he saw us walking in.”

Suddenly Mr. Grant came around the corner. “Is there a problem Mrs. Rice?”

“This sign was here last week and it said you’d have this soup this week. The sign is still here, but still no asparagus soup!”

“The truck actually just arrived. I could go get you some right out of the new shipment, if you’d like to wait.”

“Oh, well, no. I’ll get some next time. We are in rather a hurry today, but thank you very much,” off she walked.

Mr. Grant turned to Susan, “That was pretty quick, is she feeling well today?”

“She has a little cold. I tried to get her to stay home but she insisted she had to come and to help me.”

“Should I hold some of the asparagus soup for her, in case it’s really popular?”

“Oh, no. She would never really buy it. She won’t even eat asparagus when I cook it. You know she just needs to complain about something. You are so good to listen to her every week.”

“Well, she turned me around when she was my teacher in third grade. It made a big impact in my life when I needed it. Honestly, I owe her. I always will.”

“You are a very good man, Mr. Grant.”

“And you are a very good daughter, Susan. I’ll see you and your mother next week!”

Susan smiled.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2248060-Susan-Smiled