*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2249102-Morning-Encounter
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2249102
Flash Fiction
Morning Encounter

“Where did they go! Did anybody see where they went?” called Mrs. Randel from her porch.

“They went that way,” Alex yelled up, pointing toward town.

“No, they went that way,” Andrea said, pointing west, the opposite of town.

“What are you two talking about?” Andy chimed in, “they went that way,” and he pointed to the woods across the road.

“What are you talking about?” Alex said, looking at his brother like he was looney.

“Mr. Randel and Chip of course, they just left for town,”

“Oh, you’re right, toward town.”

“What were you talking about?” Andrea asked Andy.

“That flock of pigeons Mrs. Randel’s always shooing away. I just saw them fly toward Daniels street.”

“Oh, me too.”

“Well, what were you talking about?”

“Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Lander. They just left Mrs. Randel’s house a few minutes ago. I thought maybe she was looking for them.”

“Smart.”

They all looked up at Mrs. Randel, still standing on the porch while she listened to this. She didn’t look happy. “What I meant was, where did my pies go. They were cooling on this porch when my friends stopped in. Now they seem to be missing...”

The triplets looked at each other almost as if they were talking, yet no words were coming out. Then they looked back at Mrs. Randel as if a decision had been made.

“What pies?” Andrea said, sounding innocent as a baby.

Mrs. Randle stared for another minute, and then apparently having a silent conversation of her own, she went in the house.

“Phew!” said Alex, I guess she wasn’t tossing them out after all!”

“I told you!” Andrea said, “Well, we better go home.”

Unfortunately, “home” had already had a call from Mrs. Randle, and the triplets’ mother was not easily fooled either.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2249102-Morning-Encounter